Anyone work at a rental car agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the hood rubbing the cowl...it's probably been bashed into something and had the minimum cosmetic repairs done to keep it rentable.

I was very close to working for Enterprise in 2000 right out of college (frat boy in suit). I also knew two guys personally who told me about their maintenance schedules on the cars. They said when the computer in the office told them to get the oil changed, they simply overrode it because "we had to get the cars back out to make money again." Sometimes 5k or more OVER the scheduled OCI. And they rent everything, so you could buy a Lexus from them with 20k oil still in it.

lol eljefino...you nailed that to a T about the people who work at Enterprise...always "Hey Hoss" , "Ok buddy", "You got it Chief" I'm laughing too hard on the inside to get offended
lol.gif

My folks bought a Mercury Zeyphr (remember them?) I want to say in the early 80's from Hertz. Car ran ok except for 1 small issue...it would stall taking a left hand turn from a stop....talk about a white knuckle ride
shocked.gif
Sort of like "Jeez I hope nothing is coming fast around that corner"

I don't attribute that to it being a rental though..more just a sign of the outstanding quality that was coming out of the Found on Roadside Daily boys

I will say that back in 2004 I rented a Chevy Impala out in Sacramento that I absolutely loved...ran like a top, fluids looked clean and was the Cappacunio Frost color I liked
grin.gif
Drove all over Cali in that thing and to this day I haven't driven a nicer riding car...sounds funny but true. It was from National and if I could have bought the car when I returned it I would have.

I'm renting a car in Atlanta Friday...now I have to see how good the maintenance has been on it...thanks guys for planting the seed in my head

Goose
patriot.gif

I rented a nearly brand new Camry from Enterprise in Atlanta last Christmas...only had 2100 miles on the clock.

Halfway to Cumming (almost 80 miles north) a girl from the Enterprise office called me wanting me to bring the Camry back as it was due for service and wasn't actually supposed to be rented at all.

I looked at the odometer in dismay and even asked what they could possibly be considering at 2100 miles, but for some reason she didn't hear me say that. After continuing to insist on getting the car back, I told them I'd be happy to surrender it to them if they wanted to drive to Cumming and pick it up. I was NOT ABOUT to flip a U-turn on Georgia 400 to cover their butts on a maintenance issue, and if at 2100 miles they were burning to change the oil in this car, they could come get it...PERIOD. (I was being difficult because the Camry was the best choice of cars on their lot that morning). They called back 20 minutes later and told me to disregard...wrong Camry. They were thinking I had driven off in the Camry from their maintenance lot that has over 20,000 miles on it.

Way to have your ducks in a row, Enterprise. They're lucky I didn't turn around and go back.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
ummmm, note my current avis experience - theyre getting back a ford focus with 14k on it, and wouldnt authorize PM at 9900!

Ford won't be buying that one back from them.

A Ford dealer might buy it at auction, but it won't be part of the rental buyback program.

I'm not sure why people are bashing the rental company for using "bulk oil". they buy it from oil distributors in 55 gallon drums which are produced by reputable oil companies. I don't believe there is some guy at these oil companies draining the sludge from the bottom of storage tanks just to sell as "bulk oil". it's the same stuff that car dealers and repair shops across the nation have routinely used for years. You don't expect Enterprise to be using GC in their Corollas at 3000 mile OCI's do you? relax

Kinda' wish I had picked up a couple dozen Hertz Shelby 350 Mustangs (black & gold) way back when...

Can you believe what those car$ are goin' for now?

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by WOOCHOW:
I'm not sure why people are bashing the rental company for using "bulk oil". relax

I am not concerned about bulk oil as much as I would be concerned that they use "whatever happends to be in the drum" regardless of weight. Meaning if they have 5W20 in there, it's going into everything they have on the lot.

quote:

Originally posted by John Hilmer 2:
saw a new Yaris, the replacement for the Echo with a sticker of $11.5K.

From initial pics of the yaris, I didnt really like it. But seeing a few on the road, Ive been pretty impressed with the looks!

JMH

I still think they look hideous, just personal view of course, but they do perfrom well for the intended purpose. From my experiance with my Echo I'm well pleased even if it is butt ugly to me.

My needs are simple, a car to get me and a co-commuter to work and home every day for as little fuel and wear as possible.

I wouldn't even consider a cross country trip in it though. Anything more than a couple of hours would be taxing to me. John

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
At the age of 10-12 I would go way back to the end of huge lots where cars were parked and teach myself brake stands and what not haha. I remember hopping in a Ford E-350 with the large V8 at that time, turning it on and flooring it...obviously leaving some massive lines of rubber behind. It was so loud, scared the **** out of me...for about an hour
grin.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

My experience dates back to the late 70's when I was a porter during Summer vacations and Spring break.....the rental agency had 6 month leases with Chrysler on our fleet. I remember the lot mechanic would spin off the old filter and replace it with a new one before the units were returned to Chrysler..no oil was changed !...said that would pass the inspection and "validate" the car was serviced !!! Thank goodness they were 6 month leases.

My suggestion....ask for maintenance records and assume minimal maintenance was performed as you purchase an ex rental....

Sounds like you better buy a case of Auto-RX if you purchase an ex-rental!

In reality, my parents used to by ALL their vehicles from Avis rental and never had a dud. They purchased probably 5 cars from them.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue_Goose:
SNIP
I will say that back in 2004 I rented a Chevy Impala out in Sacramento that I absolutely loved...ran like a top, fluids looked clean and was the Cappacunio Frost color I liked
grin.gif
Drove all over Cali in that thing and to this day I haven't driven a nicer riding car...sounds funny but true. It was from National and if I could have bought the car when I returned it I would have.
SNIP

Don't feel bad you didn't buy it; I drove one, and it rode like a fine luxury car, but that 3.4L would have already had a head gasket problem if you had bought that thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Sounds like you better buy a case of Auto-RX if you purchase an ex-rental!

In reality, my parents used to by ALL their vehicles from Avis rental and never had a dud. They purchased probably 5 cars from them.

Rental cars may get abused, but they get abused different ways by different drivers so don't normally do too badly. Their maintenance may not be the best, but I suspect it's better than the average owner gives his car.

Many people that by rental cars treat them no better than the rental company. For them the value is obvious. A car is just that thing in the driveway that gets you around. Why would you take it in for a service if you have someplace to go, instead. Several friends have purchased rental cars. They know there is an engine in the car, someware, but if pressed could not find the hood release. They know the car uses oil and water, but so-what. It's just a car. Do you think they go to the tire store to get the tires rotated? I stopped to help a guy on the side of the road, with a Ford Explorer. The complete tread had come off the tire and what was left on the rim was just the shreaded sidewalls. He could not understand why the tire failed. It had less than 10k miles on it. He had no idea that one should check the tire pressure. He did not know there was a valve on the tire to add air. He is not the only one, and remember, they are on the road with us, every day.

I see people driving around all the time with obvious underinflation issues. It probably doesn't occur to them that their 4-cylinder Camry is only getting 15 mpg and wallows around corners. It just isn't that difficult to maintain air pressure, fluid levels etc, but people prefer to incur premature wear on tires and internals rather than spend a little of their precious time caring for their $20K - $30K machines. Gas stations with air pumps and napkin dispensors, and cheap tire guages are plentiful and people just keep driving. I'm continually appalled (but never surprised) when my female friends call me to rescue them from a flat tire or dead battery, and while I'm there I check all their fluids and am further horrified. Wake up folks!

I think the driver's test ought to make the applicant demostrate that they know how to check tire pressure and all of the underhood fluids (at least coolant and oil).

>>>>> "I'm continually appalled (but never surprised) when my female friends call me to rescue them from a flat tire or dead battery, and while I'm there I check all their fluids and am further horrified. Wake up folks!"

Yes, but it's a good time to score points with the chicks!
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back