Transportation options for picking up a car I bought 375 miles away?

Do you have anybody that would ride with you from DC down? Anybody owe you, LOL?

I've always coerced a family member to ride with me to FL and TN. I did fly one time on Allegheny from
ROA to some airport in FL for $112. Dealership picked me up at the airport with some wine when I bought
my GX470.

Wouldn't you spend the night if driving? More meal expense.

Otherwise, I think it would be cool to do the amtrak deal. Sorta adventuresome.

The whole idea of doing something like this solo and trying to save on all expenses seems counterproductive. Of course in my travels I remember several $30 a night motel rooms (that weren't so bad) when I just couldn't drive any longer.

I get that the price for Amtrak is a bit high, probably because the Palmetto is not as heavily subsidized as state supported routes. But it would seem to have the best schedule since it would be all during the day and the drive home would be at night. Just pack a few bag lunches and it sounds like a lot of fun. I think they also sell beer onboard.

National-Cafe-Menu-0723.pdf

I'm in the DC area and bought a car in Wilmington NC. Seeing if there are any other options for bringing it back then these. Cost is the #1 factor but convenience does have some weight.

1) Flying. That's a no starter with the cheapest fares around $250 plus getting to and from the airport.
2) Greyhound. About $55 but the schedule is no good. Leaving at 3:40 am or at 9:20 pm and getting in the next morning. No thanks.
3) Tow it back. About $210 in gas.
4) Drive a rental down and drive the car back. About $140 for the rental and gas.

Leaning toward #4 but checking if anybody has any other ideas. Wilmington is pretty far out of the way so having it shipped would be way more than any of these options.
Find a buddy and make a road trip. Drive down together and each drive a vehicle back.

Just my $0.02

Do you have anybody that would ride with you from DC down? Anybody owe you, LOL?

I've always coerced a family member to ride with me to FL and TN. I did fly one time on Allegheny from
ROA to some airport in FL for $112. Dealership picked me up at the airport with some wine when I bought
my GX470.

Wouldn't you spend the night if driving? More meal expense.

Otherwise, I think it would be cool to do the amtrak deal. Sorta adventuresome.
Ride with me for what? I have no problem driving down myself and driving back. Plus it gets a bit uncomfortable sitting next to someone for that long. 375 miles each way in one day is nothing. I posted 2 months ago of driving 2000 miles roundtrip in two days to Iowa to pick up a battery.

Ride with me for what? I have no problem driving down myself and driving back. Plus it gets a bit uncomfortable sitting next to someone for that long. 375 miles each way in one day is nothing. I posted 2 months ago of driving 2000 miles roundtrip in two days to Iowa to pick up a battery.

In that case.....

Super highways, coast to coast
Easy to get anywhere
On the transcontinental overload
Just slide behind the wheel
How does it feel
All night diners keep you awake
On black coffee and a hard roll

To ride with you in your car down. And then you drive your new car back leading the way. Any problems develop with the new car, you have your old car as a backup to get home. My son and son in law have made a few trips riding “shotgun” for me as I have for them when we purchased cars. Of course we enjoyed our time together. A few meals and a motel night.

To ride with you in your car down. And then you drive your new car back leading the way in a 2 car convoy. (You can’t drive 2 cars at the same time, I don’t think). If any problems develop with the new car, you have your old car as a backup to get home. My son and son in law have made a few trips riding “shotgun” for me as I have for them when we purchased cars. Of course we enjoyed our time together. A few meals and a motel night.

To ride with you in your car down. And then you drive your new car back leading the way. Any problems develop with the new car, you have your old car as a backup to get home.
Why use twice as much gas to accomplish the same thing? And if problems develop, am I going to abandon the car by the side of the road and continue home? Really?

I would just tow it back. Doesn't involve dragging other people into your purchase. No idea if the new car has any issues. Load it up and head home.

Why use twice as much gas to accomplish the same thing? And if problems develop, am I going to abandon the car by the side of the road and continue home? Really?
Atikovi, I get the gist that you create threads like this i suppose for your own amusement. I'll play along trying to figure out how Atikovi ticks.

1) buys cars at auction
2) figures out the plan after
3) makes threads to see how other people would handle the situation I dug myself into
4) summarize and chastise along the way.

be careful bud, you have opportunities to make friends.

My penske/uhaul demco whatever it is has 4 new-ish tires, newer brake actuator, plus a spare, title in my name, maybe even throw in some ratchet straps, i'll meet you at the TX border and buy you a crawfish lunch if its in lake charles or shreveport etc.

I'm in the DC area and bought a car in Wilmington NC. Seeing if there are any other options for bringing it back then these.

... ... ...
4) Drive a rental down and drive the car back. About $140 for the rental and gas.

Leaning toward #4 but checking if anybody has any other ideas. Wilmington is pretty far out of the way so having it shipped would be way more than any of these options.

How do you manage the reg and insurance on a drive back? Do you have enough documantation in hand to get temp tags? Do you have dealer tags?

Atikovi, I get the gist that you create threads like this i suppose for your own amusement. I'll play along trying to figure out how Atikovi ticks.

1) buys cars at auction
2) figures out the plan after
3) makes threads to see how other people would handle the situation I dug myself into
4) summarize and chastise along the way.

be careful bud, you have opportunities to make friends.

My penske/uhaul demco whatever it is has 4 new-ish tires, newer brake actuator, plus a spare, title in my name, maybe even throw in some ratchet straps, i'll meet you at the TX border and buy you a crawfish lunch if its in lake charles or shreveport etc.
You must be new to Atikovi management.

This really is par for the course, IMO. You're better off to avoid participation, but they can be quite comical to observe. Last one I got pulled into ended with me stating "Your resilience in not accepting that people do things different than you is astonishing."

You must be new to Atikovi management.

This really is par for the course, IMO. You're better off to avoid participation, but they can be quite comical to observe. Last one I got pulled into ended with me stating "Your resilience in not accepting that people do things different than you is astonishing."
Oh, I want him to buy my trailer. He clearly needs it. :LOL:

Back