Quart measurement

So today I did an oil change on my wife’s Lexus NX300. I had bulk oil and use a quart measuring cup from Home Depot to measure out 5 quarts. Well it turns out it was low on the dip stick, about 3/4 of a quart. So I grabbed a brand new oil quart I had for my boat and measured it in the quart container from HD. Turns out that the oil quart had more oil than a quart as measured by the measuring cup. The next test I did was, I filled up another 5 quart jug I had which has the quart measurements on the side. It marks up to 4.5, Penzoil jug. I measured out 5 quarts with the measuring cup and only got to 4.5 quarts on the jug. So who’s right, my HD quart measuring cup of the oil quart and the 5 quart jug?

I picked up a 6 quart oil dispenser jug at walmart for $10. Every jug of oil I have poured in has been at the 5 qt line. Another plus is it eliminates the need for a funnel.
I measure the slow and accurate way.
Perhaps these vessels factor in the~ quart that will reside in the filter?
Weird...

I found when using a measuring vessel, there is residual oil inside the vessel still stuck to the sides. Filling and emptying the vessel 5 times means you always pouring out less than a quart. To prove how much you’re short, after pouring out the last quart, let the container sit for the rest of the day and see how much oil accumulates in the bottom. Multiply that by 5.

Last edited:
No large mouth container is going to provide "accurate" measurement of a quart or liter volume, the meniscus is too large. It will be close however, close enough for any automobile or culinary uses as long as you're using a container that's designed for this purpose. Are you trying to use one of those paint containers that have the markings on the side? That's not the primary intent for those cheap things. Buy yourself a cup that's designed to measure volume such as the one RooflessVW linked above.

No large mouth container is going to provide "accurate" measurement of a quart or liter volume, the meniscus is too large. It will be close however, close enough for any automobile or culinary uses as long as you're using a container that's designed for this purpose. Are you trying to use one of those paint containers that have the markings on the side? That's not the primary intent for those cheap things. Buy yourself a cup that's designed to measure volume:

Yeah, it’s a painter cup.

Perhaps these vessels factor in the~ quart that will reside in the filter?
Absolutely not. That's actually against the law, at least in the US. If I pay for 1 quart of anything, I have to get 1 quart. Same as gas stations dispensing fuel, etc, etc.

Absolutely not. That's actually against the law, at least in the US. If I pay for 1 quart of anything, I have to get 1 quart. Same as gas stations dispensing fuel, etc, etc.
Exactly. If you're measuring six quarts I know for a fact there aren't six oil filters on the car.

Back