Anyone use CRC GDI Intake Cleaner on their Honda 3.5 or GM 5.3 DI engines?

Wanted to know if anyone on the forum has experience using CRC GDI Intake cleaner on a Honda 3.5 or GM 5.3 DI engine?

We have a 2013 Honda Pilot w/ 59k miles and a 2017 Silverado 5.3 w/ 34k miles. I've never used an intake cleaner on the engines. Both vehicles' service history were completely performed by myself. The 3.5 and 5.3 are both direct injection and subject to carbon build up on the intake valves. Before their next oil change, I wanted to use CRC's GDI Intake Cleaner.

Does anyone have any tips for using the CRC?

On a side note, I will soon be installing a JLT oil separator/catch can on the Silverado, and probably the Honda as well. We plan on keeping both vehicles a very long time.

Thank you for your input and experiences.

Haven't used it on those engines, but after using it on mine (Focus ST) I will tell you that watching the process taught me that this stuff needs a little time to work. Sprayed directly on closed valves (intake off), it foams up and dissolves the crud, turning it into a watery tar. I wouldn't think it would have much effect sprayed into a running engine, as it doesn't take the crud with it on its way by. If you aren't removing the intake and will be doing 'running treatments', I'd suggest several repeats so what little chemical can land on the valves while they're moving has some time to work, then rinse and repeat several times to actually get them clean.

Definitely get a catch can on there. I have one on my non-DI 5.3l and a few weeks ago, I went to dump it and had about 6oz of nasty brown goop with chunkies come out. Last time I dumped it was before winter so Oct/Nov.

Reactions: JC1
Definitely get a catch can on there. I have one on my non-DI 5.3l and a few weeks ago, I went to dump it and had about 6oz of nasty brown goop with chunkies come out. Last time I dumped it was before winter so Oct/Nov.
I wish I had put a catch can on the '10 Traverse my ex had. "Oil" pooled between the maf & TB. None of the tricks posted on the Traverse forum were worth anything.

Back on topic, I did use the CRC Intake Cleaner on a DI 3.6 in the 2010 Traverse. I didn't peek at the valves before or after the treatment, so no physical evidence of the performance. We noticed no difference in how the car ran. I was looking for a possible mpg boost. Ex has a heavy right foot, so it was more user input than equipment performance. My unprofessional guess is it could possibly work if it was able to soak, but for a few $$ & not even 30 minutes of my time, it was worth a try. Fortunately that car was hit & totaled and all troubles disappeared lol

The 2013 Pilot is definitely not a GDI engine so no carbon build up issues. I have used the CRC GDI Intake cleaner on a project VW GLI that I flipped, and it did resolve the cold start misfire after using two cans but it doesn't beat a mechanical cleaning.

Wanted to know if anyone on the forum has experience using CRC GDI Intake cleaner on a Honda 3.5 or GM 5.3 DI engine?

We have a 2013 Honda Pilot w/ 59k miles and a 2017 Silverado 5.3 w/ 34k miles. I've never used an intake cleaner on the engines. Both vehicles' service history were completely performed by myself. The 3.5 and 5.3 are both direct injection and subject to carbon build up on the intake valves. Before their next oil change, I wanted to use CRC's GDI Intake Cleaner.

Does anyone have any tips for using the CRC?

On a side note, I will soon be installing a JLT oil separator/catch can on the Silverado, and probably the Honda as well. We plan on keeping both vehicles a very long time.

Thank you for your input and experiences.
I use CRC every 10k on both of our DI vehicles.
One through the throttle body and the other through the brake booster hose.
Very easy to use.

It only removes light buildup so don't expect anything special. Besides are you experiencing running issues? Do your engines develop running issues from carbon build up?

Back