Anyone Upgrade to Windows 11 Yet?

There's more to computer security than just a virus scanner.

The bad stuff happens in the background and you'll have no idea it's even happening which is why having constant security updates to the operating system is very important.
Yep. People will run Windows 7 and wonder why their information is compromised. Norton won't do anything for you there. The University where I work has a security team that actively finds Windows 7 PCs on the network and alerts the user that it will be off the network soon since they are compromised so often.

I wouldn't use a Windows 7 machine to surf the net and click on any links that come up in a Google search. I would however use it to log into good known websites. Firefox will also identify any know suspicious websites and not allow the connection. You'd obviously have to be way more aware what you're clicking on if on a Windows 7 machine.

i installed win 11 on my old laptop that is not compatible. seems to run ok. download the win 11 iso, download rufus 3.17 and then put on a usb. make in rufus to specify the win 11 without the requirements . it will be in a pull down. Also, when installing and it ask to look for updates, check no and then it should install. if you check yes then it may not install.

this old laptop is just to test the install. So far some updates have worked and some have not. runs about the same as win 10.

DO THIS AT YOYR OWN RISK

Has anyone clicked on the "Stay on Windows 10 for now" in Windows 10 Updates? What happens ... anything unexpected? Guess I don't trust Microsoft, lol. See red box below.

1638349984602.jpeg

Has anyone clicked on the "Stay on Windows 10 for now" in Windows 10 Updates? What happens ... anything unexpected? Guess I don't trust Microsoft, lol. See red box below.

View attachment 79646
I am still on 10. About a month ago I got the first invite saying my laptop is eligible and ready for 11. I declined. Then about a week later I got the same 11 upgrade offer as you did. I clicked the "Stay on 10 for now" and have not heard a peep about it from MS since. I am not upgrading to 11 any time soon. MS needs to work out all the bugs and make 11 stable first. MS said 10 will be supported until 2025 so I figure they have plenty of time. For me, for now, 10 works fine, it ain't broke so I ain't fixing it.

I've been using my new laptop with Win 11 for about a week now. So far so good, after a few tweaks that had to be applied. The only remaining issue I haven't been able to solve yet is taskbar - can't move it to the left edge of the screen like I had it in prior Windows versions.

I don't run it in any of my or my company's computers yet and most likely won't until the last 12 months of Win10 support as I don't want the slew of emails saying "blah blah blah doesn't work." I did remote into a coworker's laptop that had Win11 on it to help with some networking issues and it looks like they're trying to make things more "bubbly" at the cost of simple navigation.

Isn't it free now? :ROFLMAO:

You can still use Win7 keys for Win10 so I wonder if Win7 keys will work for Win11......

My Windows 10 computer says it's ready to upgrade to Windows 11 if I want to hit the "Upgrade" button. Not sure when I'll do it until I hear some feedback from some users.

Anyone here running Windiws 11 yet? If so, what do you think?
When I started installing/updating my new to me "again" HP LT yesterday, I had the option to install Windows 11. Those of you that have updated to W11, how are you liking it? Eventually I will have to DL it, but in the meantime I'm waiting to hear that any bugs are cleared out.
Should I upgrade, or wait?

When I started installing/updating my new to me "again" HP LT yesterday, I had the option to install Windows 11. Those of you that have updated to W11, how are you liking it? Eventually I will have to DL it, but in the meantime I'm waiting to hear that any bugs are cleared out.
Should I upgrade, or wait?
I'd be waiting for awhile ... Win10 is supported until Oct 2025.

I've been using my new laptop with Win 11 for about a week now. So far so good, after a few tweaks that had to be applied. The only remaining issue I haven't been able to solve yet is taskbar - can't move it to the left edge of the screen like I had it in prior Windows versions.
To move the taskbar left, right-click anywhere on the taskbar and select Taskbar Settings from the pop-up menu. This will take you directly to the Personalization > Taskbar screen. Scroll to the bottom of this screen to Taskbar behaviors. Expand this section by clicking on it, and then set the taskbar alignment to 'Left'

Reactions: Y_K
To move the taskbar left, right-click anywhere on the taskbar and select Taskbar Settings from the pop-up menu. This will take you directly to the Personalization > Taskbar screen. Scroll to the bottom of this screen to Taskbar behaviors. Expand this section by clicking on it, and then set the taskbar alignment to 'Left'
This just changes the alignment of the icons, but the taskbar itself stays on the bottom. I want the entire taskbar to be anchored along the left edge of the screen.

I've been using Windows 11 for a couple months now (I first downloaded it as a beta through Windows insider).

On my main machine (Ryzen 5800X + 32gb RAM), it's been a fantastic experience. Everything just worked right from the get-go.

It's similar enough to Windows 10 that there isn't a huge learning curve, but in typical Windows fashion, they do move some settings around that serve no purpose other than to frustrate the user. For example, the system applet in Control panel has a whole new layout (admittedly they began this in later versions of Win 10), but luckily all the usual functions are there, just in different places. So takes a bit of getting used to, but this is a very mild change IMO.

My biggest gripe is that they removed the option to display ALL notification icons. Now you have to open the "overflow" and manually pull out any ones you want to display all the time back onto the system tray. That's a pretty minor issue, so as a whole, I'm extremely pleased with it and I like the new eye candy and polish.

I just got done installing it onto a much older machine (10+ year old HP Z600 workstation, dual 6-core Xeon CPU w/ 48GB RAM) that I use as my home mediacenter. When I created the USB from Microsoft's media creation tool app, it wouldn't install because I don't have secureboot or TPM 2.0 on this machine. Simply said my machine didn't meet the minimum requirements. There is a work around, however:

You download the .ISO file off Microsoft's website, and use Rufus (latest portable version) to create a bootable USB using the ISO you downloaded. In the Rufus app, there is a checkbox to "disable Secureboot and TPM 2.0 check". Once you do that it will fire up just fine and allow you to run/install Windows 11 old older machines and any that still have MBR partition tables. It picked up all my drivers except the one for my Radeon RX 480 got installed during Windows update (which I later updated to latest version from AMD), everything appears to work just as good as it did in Windows 11, super slick. I don't see a dramatic increase in disk usage, think the full install of Win11 was comparable to Win10.

Product activated just fine even though I didn't type in a product code. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is pretty much giving Windows OS away now, I've never bought a license for this particular machine, yet it always digitally activates just fine. I bought the machine used with no OS, so maybe it has a record of the old Win7 OS it used to have before I bought it; who knows. I've built brand new PCs where I didn't purchase a Windows OS/license, and they activate just fine too.

Back