Windows 11

Has anyone downloaded Windows 11 on their computer? I get a pop up every now and then on my HP laptop asking if I would like to download it, free of charge.
Is it similar, different, than Windows 10? Am I going to have to download it eventually due to Windows 10 becoming obsolete?

Has anyone downloaded Windows 11 on their computer? I get a pop up every now and then on my HP laptop asking if I would like to download it, free of charge.
Is it similar, different, than Windows 10? Am I going to have to download it eventually due to Windows 10 becoming obsolete?
yes you will eventually have to install it depending how long you keep the computer. you may verywell upgrade to a new PC before the EOL for winndows 10.
unless there are specific applications you need windows for. i really do suggest you install a version on linux. my current fav is Mint. it's very light and easy to use. it has great browsers, great photo editing. decent support for a lot of apps. all for free.
worth a look.

Yes.

I have updated my Ryzen-based gaming PC, my Windows-10 virtual machine on my MacBook Pro and my wife's Latitude.

It is similar to Windows 10. The interface does look a bit different, but it runs very well. I like it, it runs good.

How it usually goes, every build of Windows 10 is usually support for 18 months (longer if in Enterprise). The latest build, 22H2, has support for another year and 3 months. They may release another Windows 10 build and again support that, or they may "call-it" by the time that date comes. I am thinking they will have release plans for Windows 12 before Windows 10 support runs out.

Here's a site to track these timelines: https://endoflife.date/

If you're happy with 10, stick with it, keep it updated. However, be conscious of support timeframes. If you'd like to try it out or want a change, perhaps try Windows 11.

I once tried it but reverted since it ran worse. I miss windows 7 but comparability is dying.

Just install Fedora or Ubuntu. Way more secure and you don't get hosed on updates. Apple and windows are Terrorist organizations.
Because that will be a painless and easy process for someone asking the difference between Windows 10 and 11? Horrible advice unless you are very computer literate and willing to tinker to get all accessories working properly.

I think Windows allows you to go back to Windows 10 within 10 days. After that, it's a little more work.
I'm guessing many people are put off by the task bar in Windows 11. You can rearrange and customize it. I think you need to enter a command line to make it more like Windows 10?

I've used different Linux distros, BSD and Solaris years ago. I even installed ChromeOS Flex on a old MacBook Pro.
Solaris was my favorite. Linux people preach to everyone that you should install Linux. Linux is a mess.

I use it and like it. Once you move the taskbar icons back to the left side (it defaults in the center) then the desktop will look the same. Start menu is better in my opinion, notifications still not great but I shut most of that stuff off. Settings menu is laid out better. Overall I think it’s a more “polished” version of win10.

Windows 11 is not slow. It will feel slow for a day or two as it does updates. Just went through this on a work laptop, its fine now.

I can't because my mobo doesn't have the required security chip.

My Alienware M18 laptop at home could run it no problem, but apparently it won't download because it isn't up to some random spec.

My Alienware Aurora R11 that I use at work keeps bugging me, but I can't because supposedly W11 does not play with Ford's websites.

I've used different Linux distros, BSD and Solaris years ago. I even installed ChromeOS Flex on a old MacBook Pro.
Solaris was my favorite. Linux people preach to everyone that you should install Linux. Linux is a mess.
I used Linux starting around '96 and stuck with it for almost 10 years. Back then, in the late 90s, the claim was "ready for the desktop". How'd that work out ? 🤣

Back