Are they doomed?

Are Windows 10 laptops that can't update to Windows 11 kaput after Microsoft pulls the plug? I have one with great specs and still works as it should but I'm leary of continuing to use it when the security updates stop. Any thoughts?

Per MS they will be charging a monthly fee to extend support.

This is why I always advocate for everyone to start switching and learning linux as early as you can. Most day to day tasks are done exactly the same way as windows. Mint and Ubuntu would be my recommendations for new users, and maybe....maybe Debian 12.

If you are worried about security, what a joke. Combining the word Microsoft and Security into one sentence is physically painful for me to do.

No, just won't get regular updates. I still have XP on a laptop but it's the updated secondary programs like browsers and stuff that no longer work.

I wonder about Windows Defender being still useful?

Per MS they will be charging a monthly fee to extend support.

This is why I always advocate for everyone to start switching and learning linux as early as you can. Most day to day tasks are done exactly the same way as windows. Mint and Ubuntu would be my recommendations for new users, and maybe....maybe Debian 12.
I didn't read the entire article but looks like we have almost 2 years left. My current laptop is 11 years old and still works perfectly on windows 10. I'll be leaving it as is and doing mainly just security updates until the support runs out.
When that happens I will look at the options and either install windows 11 (depending on its reputation at that time) or switch to Linux like I did with my other Lenovo, a 15 year old budget laptop.

Windows 10 support will continue until October 2025.

Before that time, you can do a free upgrade to Windows 11. Even if the updater says your hardware isn't up to speed, you can bypass it.

I personally wouldn't worry about it until summer 2025. By then, you may want a new laptop anyway.

every newer vwesion of windows is IMO WORSE! more bloat + both 10 + 11 open + close without clicking-just passing by + of course things get harder to find!!

I have one with great specs and still works as it should but I'm leary of continuing to use it when the security updates stop.
You should not use any version of Windows or any other OS, without security updates.

Any thoughts?
Either buy the security update subscription or install Linux on the laptop.

As others have noted, support for (updated installations of) Win10 lasts until Oct of 2025, as per the horse's mouth:

There might be some type of limited security support beyond that, depending on customer adoption of Win11/12, etc. but I would not count on it.

Windows 10 support will continue until October 2025.

Before that time, you can do a free upgrade to Windows 11. Even if the updater says your hardware isn't up to speed, you can bypass it.

I personally wouldn't worry about it until summer 2025. By then, you may want a new laptop anyway.
How do you bypass it? I have an Alienware M18 that is 10 years old and still works awesome. But since it does not have the bitlocker I can't update it to W11. It works fine as is, but I just want to know what to do.

I'm still on Windows 7 on this PC. No doom yet.
Do you expect those who exploit your unsupported system to leave you a pretty note?!

Very literally, every single one of us on this forum who makes a living in IT in any way, shape or form speaks with unambiguous solidarity that it is **extremely unwise** to run an unsupported OS. It is harmful to yourself and others when your system is vulnerable. Your statement that I have quoted sums up entirely what it is that consumers simply do not understand.

No, just won't get regular updates. I still have XP on a laptop but it's the updated secondary programs like browsers and stuff that no longer work.

I wonder about Windows Defender being still useful?
Do not use any windows version that is not providing updates unless its completely disconnected from the internet. You are vulnerable to attack otherwise. This is about the worst thing you can do in terms of security.

How do you bypass it? I have an Alienware M18 that is 10 years old and still works awesome. But since it does not have the bitlocker I can't update it to W11. It works fine as is, but I just want to know what to do.
I don't recall having BitLocker to be a determinant factor in Win11 upgrade eligibility because versions of Windows do not come with it at all. My understanding is/was that among the criteria were a TPM v2.0 chip on the motherboard (... In which case there is a registry hack floating around out there somewhere that in essence tricks the installer into thinking there is a TPM v2.0 chip on board or otherwise bypasses the check. I have managed in the last year or so to get Win11 installed on bare metal and in VirtualBox prior to their issuing an update to allow for this.) and certain performance requirements re: RAM/CPU/GPU.

Do not use any windows version that is not providing updates unless its completely disconnected from the internet. You are vulnerable to attack otherwise. This is about the worst thing you can do in terms of security.
You are vulnerable to attack, but who would attack you?
This is one of the concepts I deal with consumer IT repeatedly. No one cares about your computer. Its not like hackers roll around your neighborhood out of boredom looking to break into your router. I would make sure you are using a good encryption method on your router's password than windows security. The majority of "attacks" happen because users give out personal information to the threat directly. Its the same thing with antiviruses. You don't need an antiviruis, I haven't ran one (including defender or microsofts proprietary BS) for over 20 years, and have had a virus occur maybe ONCE, nothing malwarebytes portable on a flash drive couldn't handle in 5 minutes. You have a higher risk of SSD failure and thus, data loss, than being "hacked".

Security of your operating system is an illusion, I would rather invest time looking into who your cell provider is, who your internet provider is, using a quality and privacy focused encrypted VPN, as well as using good passwords and making sure you don't click on things you shouldn't click on.

I also live by the concept, that those that really do want my data, will get it regardless of what I do because their expertise is probably infinitely higher than mine, and thats after 25 years in IT.

What a lot of people don't know is that you CAN do a clean install of windows 11, however you cannot do an UPGRADE on some hardware. So try a clean install. I bet it works. Better off anyway.

I used to hate when people would post 'Just use Linux!' in threads like this, but desktop Linux has gotten so much better and easier to use nowadays that it's a vaild alternative to use on an old still-good system once Windows 10 is no longer an option.

Rufus allows you to create an install thumbdrive with the official installer ISO image that removes some of the checks that Windows 11 uses.

Back