Are they doomed?

How do you bypass it? I have an Alienware M18 that is 10 years old and still works awesome. But since it does not have the bitlocker I can't update it to W11. It works fine as is, but I just want to know what to do.
When adding “/product server” switch to setup.exe in the Windows 11 setup directory, it BYPASSES the Windows 11 hardware requirement checks.

Done this a few times. Someone said it above, but RUFUS works also.

Security of your operating system is an illusion, I would rather invest time looking into who your cell provider is, who your internet provider is, using a quality and privacy focused encrypted VPN, as well as using good passwords and making sure you don't click on things you shouldn't click on.

All of those are illusions. The only real security is properly educating the user behind the keyboard. On an enterprise level, a competent XDR will also help a lot.

You are vulnerable to attack, but who would attack you?
This is one of the concepts I deal with consumer IT repeatedly. No one cares about your computer. Its not like hackers roll around your neighborhood out of boredom looking to break into your router. I would make sure you are using a good encryption method on your router's password than windows security. The majority of "attacks" happen because users give out personal information to the threat directly. Its the same thing with antiviruses. You don't need an antiviruis, I haven't ran one (including defender or microsofts proprietary BS) for over 20 years, and have had a virus occur maybe ONCE, nothing malwarebytes portable on a flash drive couldn't handle in 5 minutes. You have a higher risk of SSD failure and thus, data loss, than being "hacked".

Security of your operating system is an illusion, I would rather invest time looking into who your cell provider is, who your internet provider is, using a quality and privacy focused encrypted VPN, as well as using good passwords and making sure you don't click on things you shouldn't click on.

I also live by the concept, that those that really do want my data, will get it regardless of what I do because their expertise is probably infinitely higher than mine, and thats after 25 years in IT.
You over estimate the technical competency of people still using windows xp, vista, or windows 7 from your point of view. If security of your operating system is an illusion, then why patch at all? It's risk management, not to prevent a 0 day targeted attack. Its not about someone targeting you specifically. The exploits available to an out of date operating systems are infinite. Some group or script kiddie can very easily typo squat some popular domain name or send a spam email with a URL that could be an insta-compromise situation. After that, you can use your imagination. My parents are boomers, so I've seen this first hand. I would never let them use a PC or phone that is not providing automatic security updates.

You are vulnerable to attack, but who would attack you?
This is one of the concepts I deal with consumer IT repeatedly. No one cares about your computer. Its not like hackers roll around your neighborhood out of boredom looking to break into your router. I would make sure you are using a good encryption method on your router's password than windows security. The majority of "attacks" happen because users give out personal information to the threat directly. Its the same thing with antiviruses. You don't need an antiviruis, I haven't ran one (including defender or microsofts proprietary BS) for over 20 years, and have had a virus occur maybe ONCE, nothing malwarebytes portable on a flash drive couldn't handle in 5 minutes. You have a higher risk of SSD failure and thus, data loss, than being "hacked".

Very, very, very easy answer: Bots attack you. And they are all loaded up with information about EVERY 0-day and unpatched vulnerability just scouring the internet, jigglin' those door knobs and window handles just waiting find someone with an attitude like this:

I also live by the concept, that those that really do want my data, will get it regardless of what I do because their expertise is probably infinitely higher than mine, and thats after 25 years in IT.

There is a self-fulfilling prophecy if I've ever seen one. And if you've spent 25 in IT and script kiddies have an infinitely higher level of expertise than you, yikes.

For those of you reading this: Do you honestly believe that Every. Single. Software. Developer. On. This. Earth. says very, very strongly "Please do not use an unsupported OS" and is joined in chorus by Every. IT. Professional. On. This. Earth. and they're wrong? You think because someone/bot who has exploited your system and is now farming some weird crypto currency or using your system as a spam hose is going to tell you they're doing it?!?!?!
(e.g. Home security is also an illusion. I'd rather just spend my effort preserving my memories with brain superfoods. My credo is this: If someone wants my stuff badly enough, they'll get it because even a petty thief's methods and expertise are so sophisticated that I just don't bother. This after 25 years in law enforcement. DOES THIS SEEM LIKE SMART ADVICE? Is that preceding paragraph the thing you'd use to counter an actual security professional's assertion that "You should lock your doors"? Is this your "independent research" that leaves you thinking you know better than people who make a living at this?)

All of those are illusions. The only real security is properly educating the user behind the keyboard. On an enterprise level, a competent XDR will also help a lot.
All of my efforts to educate users behind keyboards start with "make sure your OS is always updated and supported"; then go on to explain that system vulnerabilities have nothing to do with their operations or interactions with their computers: That is mostly the province of viruses and their purveyors. System vulnerabilities lie deeper than "what you click on".

Here is the database of Critical Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) for Windows 7. As of this writing there are 2,369 of them. None require your clicking on anything and none are getting patched:

Yes, a "Max CVSS" score of 10.0 and highlighted in red is very, very, very bad.

Here is Windows 10:

I jumped ship from WIndows products a couple years ago to Chromebook. You get a set amount of years of security updates. If you're already in the google ecosystem it's great. Another main reason was because Chromebooks have come a long ways & I bought a Samsung one that has excellent specs. Anyways, Good question.

Another vote for Linux here. I put Linux Mint on an old Lenovo Ideapad 310 last year and it works great, super reliable so far. I did have to spend some time learning Mint in the beginning but it got easier as I went. There are a lot of online forums where you can get help and support if needed. There are videos and articles online about how to burn a bootable Mint OS onto a flash drive, then you can boot from the flash drive to see how Mint works. You don't get the full experience from the flash drive but it will give you a good idea. If you like it you can either erase Windows and install Mint as your only OS, or dual boot Mint and Windows on the same computer. I did not like dual boot myself. I think there will be more people moving to Linux full time when Windows 10 reaches end of its support. I also think it is not very fair of MS to charge people for W10 updates. That is just one more way MS tries to squeeze money out of people. One of the main things that I like about Linux is that it is just a computer operating system, it is not trying make money off of me or harvest my data/web activity to feed some huge unseen AI monster.

I don't recall having BitLocker to be a determinant factor in Win11 upgrade eligibility because versions of Windows do not come with it at all. My understanding is/was that among the criteria were a TPM v2.0 chip on the motherboard (... In which case there is a registry hack floating around out there somewhere that in essence tricks the installer into thinking there is a TPM v2.0 chip on board or otherwise bypasses the check. I have managed in the last year or so to get Win11 installed on bare metal and in VirtualBox prior to their issuing an update to allow for this.) and certain performance requirements re: RAM/CPU/GPU.
I believe the tpm chip is the reason my ThinkPad t530 is saying it's not eligible for windows 11. I'm not really worried about it for at least another year but I'll have to look into it further at some point.

Do you expect those who exploit your unsupported system to leave you a pretty note?!

Very literally, every single one of us on this forum who makes a living in IT in any way, shape or form speaks with unambiguous solidarity that it is **extremely unwise** to run an unsupported OS. It is harmful to yourself and others when your system is vulnerable. Your statement that I have quoted sums up entirely what it is that consumers simply do not understand.

Yes, someone could hack it, and replace your high score in Tetris remotely, and read the email to your Aunt, about birthday gift suggestions for your grandma.
Oh the horrors.
My grandmother always wants McDonald's gift cards by the way, she goes 3 times a week, Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and Sunday afternoon after church.

Yes, someone could hack it, and replace your high score in Tetris remotely, and read the email to your Aunt, about birthday gift suggestions for your grandma.
Or encrypt all of your family photos/memories and charge you $$ for the key. Not a big deal to some, but to some it would a big deal.

every newer vwesion of windows is IMO WORSE! more bloat + both 10 + 11 open + close without clicking-just passing by + of course things get harder to find!!
My new HP laptop from Costco had Zero bloatware. Once I deactivated and removed McAfee, the programs files listing show nothing that shouldn't be there. This Windows 11 computer has been great. Quick to boot and really fast.

I get so sick of people slamming Windows. No one else has come up with a FREE supported general use OS which pleases 95% of the public who use it. If you do your updates, Windows is secure for me anyway. I don't where you boys and girls are playing on the internet, maybe changing browsing habits might help. Off of Soapbox now.

My new HP laptop from Costco had Zero bloatware. Once I deactivated and removed McAfee, the programs files listing show nothing that shouldn't be there. This Windows 11 computer has been great. Quick to boot and really fast.

I get so sick of people slamming Windows. No one else has come up with a FREE supported general use OS which pleases 95% of the public who use it. If you do your updates, Windows is secure for me anyway. I don't where you boys and girls are playing on the internet, maybe changing browsing habits might help. Off of Soapbox now.
I know lots of people have issues (lots of people using it) but 10 has been the most reliable windows I've had, followed by 7. Each PC has been more reliable and lasted longer than the previous one. I started on windows 3.1.

What a lot of people don't know is that you CAN do a clean install of windows 11, however you cannot do an UPGRADE on some hardware. So try a clean install. I bet it works. Better off anyway.
You bet it works? Not exactly an absolute solution is it? If a fresh install could be confirmed that it will work that would be the answer.

Last edited:
Linux, Linux, Linux. Look, I'm soon to be 75 years of age and Windows is all I know. I have ZERO desire to learn a new system. I'll look into the video posted and check it out, Thanks for all the responses.

Oh the horrors.
My grandmother always wants McDonald's gift cards by the way, she goes 3 times a week, Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and Sunday afternoon after church.

I helped a law firm that got ransomware on 5 PCs and all their backups. They lost 6 months of data and had to ship their drives out to a company to get the data back. I did not see the total cost of it all, but I know it wasn't less than half a million when factoring in loss of employee billable hours.

Reactions: Y_K
Very, very, very easy answer: Bots attack you. And they are all loaded up with information about EVERY 0-day and unpatched vulnerability just scouring the internet, jigglin' those door knobs and window handles just waiting find someone with an attitude like this:

There is a self-fulfilling prophecy if I've ever seen one. And if you've spent 25 in IT and script kiddies have an infinitely higher level of expertise than you, yikes.

For those of you reading this: Do you honestly believe that Every. Single. Software. Developer. On. This. Earth. says very, very strongly "Please do not use an unsupported OS" and is joined in chorus by Every. IT. Professional. On. This. Earth. and they're wrong? You think because someone/bot who has exploited your system and is now farming some weird crypto currency or using your system as a spam hose is going to tell you they're doing it?!?!?!
(e.g. Home security is also an illusion. I'd rather just spend my effort preserving my memories with brain superfoods. My credo is this: If someone wants my stuff badly enough, they'll get it because even a petty thief's methods and expertise are so sophisticated that I just don't bother. This after 25 years in law enforcement. DOES THIS SEEM LIKE SMART ADVICE? Is that preceding paragraph the thing you'd use to counter an actual security professional's assertion that "You should lock your doors"? Is this your "independent research" that leaves you thinking you know better than people who make a living at this?)
LOL this is some of the most moronic IT advice I have ever heard.

The majority of "security" out there doesn't even come from actual patches handed out by software vendors and OEMs. We patch all our own stuff from scratch, so does every other even moderately large enterprise, or they outsource that work to someone who does. "updates" have proven to be useless, how many zero day attacks have been claimed to be "patched"? This is strictly for insurance and litigation purposes, and the vast majority of these zero day patches are either workarounds or illusion updates. The majority of 0 day exploits are hardware based, and thus, require replacing the hardware, which unless you are flush with cash, no one is upgrading at a rapid enough pace to matter. Even then, when the latest Intel and AMD exploits were found, and they claimed to have patched them in the upcoming generations, it was proven false.

Yes, a kid who knows an exploit that no one has found yet is at an infinitely better advantage than even the BEST professionals. Just go back to wannacry and so on.

Your entire comment has proven to me you have never, ever, seriously never, touched a computer with the intent of actually using it for security purposes.

Will I tell customers "rest assured"? Of course, then I will grab the best insurance package and hope for the best, even with my best efforts, I can't physically solder closed an NSA/CIA back door on a server chip that is in a rack 3 rows deep.

Keep trusting microsoft to patch your "exploits" while leaving all the back doors wide open that no one knows about but them and the department of defense. This is why countries like russia and china develop their own software even though its a painstacking and delayed process. This is why no matter how bad russian chips are, they will still make them, because at least they know the in's and out's, and for defense, this is critical, if not mandatory. Use your heads.

Back