Windows 11

I updated my HP laptop (about a year and a half old now) to 11 since it came with 10 on it. Can't really complain, the look and feel is a little different and the right click menu contexts changed a little. Copy, cut, and paste are replaced by symbols now. Only glitch I had was after the update it had to then apply a BIOS update because my fingerprint reader stopped working. Has been working quite well, I'm happy with it.

While I have used Linux, I wouldn't recommend it casually to someone who isn't familiar with it already. For one, if it's a fairly recent laptop, you may have a heck of time getting all your hardware working properly. Even if you have an older one you may have issues, like my old Core2 duo laptop that works well with Mint, unless you let it go to sleep. It won't wake up again.

I used Linux starting around '96 and stuck with it for almost 10 years. Back then, in the late 90s, the claim was "ready for the desktop". How'd that work out ? 🤣
linux is great for the modern PC. I only keep a windows install for the occasion i play a game not on linux. else it does everything i need. and most others too. been using Mint for over 10 years. redhat before that.
it really is desktop ready if you choose a distro and stick with it.

Windows 10 will be supported until October 2025. I suggest you get Windows 11 some time before then but you don't have to hurry. I've had Windows 11 on my laptop for a year and it's quite samey-samey with more control by MS over everything. On my desktop, I'll hold on to Windows 10 as long as possible.

About two months ago I got it when I went to a 1TB SSD Drive. some difference but nothing that should cause you any worry or frustration! With the New Samsung SSD my machine has really speeded up. Used to take 4 hours to run my virus scan now its 26 minutes.

About two months ago I got it when I went to a 1TB SSD Drive. some difference but nothing that should cause you any worry or frustration! With the New Samsung SSD my machine has really speeded up. Used to take 4 hours to run my virus scan now its 26 minutes.
The best bang for the buck upgrade on any machine is an SSD if it doesn't have one.

I've been on it for a year now and I'm in the process of switching all the work PCs over from Win10 to 11. Overall I've had less issues with Win11 versus Win10 but the majority of issues I've ever had with Windows were OEM drivers. I rarely have issues with fresh windows installs.

Win 7 keys work for Win10 and 11. I like the interface of Win10 a tad bit more than Win11 but neither are hard to get used to.

Maybe this time around it will be different but traditionally you skip a version of windows because it’s not all that great of an upgrade.

I tried win11 and did encounter some small issues, plus not all software is yet fully supported.
I will hold on to win 10 until they officially stop supporting and and releasing updates. That’s what I did with win 7 and skipped win8 and 8.1 debacle.
By then win11 should be sorted out or win12 or something else will be released.

If you have Windows 10 pro, you can test drive Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine under Hyper-V
Oracle VirtualBox 7.x now provides a virtual TPM, so if you hardware supports Windows 11, you can install it under VirtualBox as well to give it a test drive.

I have no bare metal that runs Win11, but have a couple of VMs running it in both VB and Hyper-V
If you don't have Win10 pro, you cannot use Hyper-V. However, VirtualBox doesn't care (IIRC) and you could test drive it with that virtualization solution.
Hyper-V is faster, but VirtualBox is not unusable and has built in folder sharing from the host OS to the guest.

and the right click menu contexts changed a little. Copy, cut, and paste are replaced by symbols now.
Just got a new mac mini (M2 Pro processor, 16gb RAM, SSD) and I need to run a few Windows programs, so I use Parallels. Even though my wife's laptop runs 11, I don't use it much. Using it on the new mac, I kept right-clicking, then "View more options" to get to those functions. Took me a day or two before I finally noticed the cut, copy, paste, delete, etc buttons at the top of the right-click menu. That's a huge, workflow improvement !

LOL; except after 40 years MS can't get simple software management right; all sort of registry cleaners to keep a machine running quickly.

It is odd the best fix for gaining speed on a Windows machine is buying a new OR REINSTALLING THE OS.
I don't find that to be the case since Windows 10. Unless maybe you are installing a lot of freeware apps or going to sketchy websites.

Windows 10 will be supported out until 2025. There is no hurry to upgrade. I use windows 10 and 11 on different machines and have no complaints on either. I have one desktop that I upgraded to windows 11 even though it did not meet all the required specs and it works fine.

Paco

..........."This one goes to 11...."

Seriously.... Why??? I'm on "10" and have no intention of ....(Cough, cough...Upgrading) to 11.

In fact... all my other machines run Linux and I don't have any issues with those at all...

I don't have any issues or problems with Win 11 on my computer toys. All of 'em are gaming rigs of various ages.

One small issue is renaming a USB drive (I do this all the time for aircraft databases) takes a few extra steps. Not sure why they have to hide the features, but other than that, I'm 100% happy.

Back