Windows 11 upgrade incompatibility

They started this on windows 10. They first ask you for your wifi credentials etc and then make you associate it with a msn/hotmail/xbox account. There's no way out of it unless you see the little button that says "no internet available." I found it nags you later as well. Of course there are ways around it later after your windows installation is setup. For my HTPC, I use a low power intel processor (5-10w) and ubuntu with no shell installed. It was a learning curve to setup, but rock solid and much more substantial than a Raspberry Pi 3.
There are workarounds, but it's a PITA. The Rufus route is much easier.

Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware of this with Rufus. Signing into MS account was a PITA, and I always had to disconnect from the internet.
In my experience tinkering with installing Windows 11 Pro this past weekend:

- A clean, unaltered Win11 installation thumbdrive made with the official Media Creation Tool, being unplugged from the network has no effect. It just waits until you connect to wifi and will go no further.

- Same, but having the wifi adapter disabled in BIOS (making it invisible to the installer) makes Windows just stop and stare dumbly at you, waiting for Internet connectivity before it can proceed and force you to log in with your Microsoft account.

- Win11 installer thumbdrive created with the Rufus tweaks, wifi disabled but network plugged in, it still gives you no other option but to log in with a Microsoft account.

- Only if the Win11 installer was created with the Rufus tweaks AND has no network connectivity will it allow you to create a local account and proceed.

Installing Windows 11 Home may be different but this is what I saw. FYI.

I "upgraded" my laptop to Windows 11 more than a year ago. My Optiplex desktop has an incompatible Intel Core i5-7500 3.4 GHz processor. No idea if they will add support for this processor or if there's a workaround. The PC meets all other criteria for compatibility with Windows 11.

In my experience tinkering with installing Windows 11 Pro this past weekend:

- A clean, unaltered Win11 installation thumbdrive made with the official Media Creation Tool, being unplugged from the network has no effect. It just waits until you connect to wifi and will go no further.

- Same, but having the wifi adapter disabled in BIOS (making it invisible to the installer) makes Windows just stop and stare dumbly at you, waiting for Internet connectivity before it can proceed and force you to log in with your Microsoft account.

- Win11 installer thumbdrive created with the Rufus tweaks, wifi disabled but network plugged in, it still gives you no other option but to log in with a Microsoft account.

- Only if the Win11 installer was created with the Rufus tweaks AND has no network connectivity will it allow you to create a local account and proceed.

Installing Windows 11 Home may be different but this is what I saw. FYI.
You can open a command prompt and then launch task manager and then kill the Network Connection Flow process a few times until it lets you proceed.

Back