anyone tried a 5W-20 for a Toyo 4 cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think I can find a UOA for 5W-20 with a recent MY Toyota engine...say a 1zzfe. Of course the owner's manual doesnt mention this possibility; only 0/5/10W-30.

Just curious if anyone out there has experimented with this selection for this engine.

Boxgrover the engines in the Tacoma are recent engine designs!! None of the engine choices in the Tacoma exsisted prior to 1995.5 model year. Ken4's test was in a 5SFE seires engine wich is older then the engine design of the Tacoma's. Then you have the fact that the tacoma's 4 cyclinder choices are the 2.4 and 2.7 wich are the same engine just different displacements. How is the 2.4L and 2.7L that far off from my 2003 Camrys 2.4L engine in terms of displacement.

No one has tried a 20Wt. in a 1ZZFE or 2AZFE or any of these engine family's yet that I am aware of.Ken4 had seal leaking issues and doubled his wear of some metals. Ted had exsessive wear in his Tacoma.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
No one has tried a 20Wt. in a 1ZZFE or 2AZFE or any of these engine family's yet that I am aware of.

It would be an interesting experiment. Honda 4 cylinders use the 5W-20. They (the engines) should be similar in precision and such.

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
Not exactly what you are looking for, but I am using 5-20 in an Echo.

Thanks. That is almost what I am looking for! Btw, what made you decide to give 5W-20 a run in your Echo?

daemonite,
5W20 + half bottle of VSOT isn't a 5W20 anymore now is it?
I have been running Valvoline 5W20 in my daughters '88 Honda Accord since the spring of '05 and the engine seems to really like it. This oil was ginen to me by a friend who traded in an '01 Civic on an '05 Camry. Changed the oil again in August with more 5W20. Haven't done a UOA, just going by seat of the pants. This engine has over 330,000 miles and only shows only a half a qt low at 4000 miles, which is about the normal OCI for this car since I purchaced it new back in '88. I have always used 5W30/10W30 all it's life prior to using the free Valvoline 5W20. Im thinking of trying some Havoline 5W20 this winter in my wifes Lexus RX-300. She doesn't drive very far before shutting off the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:
currently running 5w20 + half bottle of VSOT in a 2az-fe

no issues yet, UOA in 2500 miles (5000 oci)

I'm not sure i understand this method. Why not skip the additive and just use 10w-30?

well due to the large majority of people here saying that I shouldn't run a 5w20 since my engine is undersquare and that would make it harder on the oil. I decided to go half way and run an oil that is halfway between a 20wt and a 30wt and do a UOA. If oil wear is low or equal to a 5w30 then I'll continue with a 5w20, if wear is higher then what it was when I used 5w30 then I will know that 5w20 is truly not recommended.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
Not exactly what you are looking for, but I am using 5-20 in an Echo.

Thanks. That is almost what I am looking for! Btw, what made you decide to give 5W-20 a run in your Echo?

I can't really remember. I started off with 10W-30 RL and was pretty happy. I think I had read enough here and had confidence in RL to switch to 20 weight. I thought it was "almost a 30 weight" so it is really splitting hairs. I would not entertain running a dino however.

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:
currently running 5w20 + half bottle of VSOT in a 2az-fe

no issues yet, UOA in 2500 miles (5000 oci)

I'm not sure i understand this method. Why not skip the additive and just use 10w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back