Anyone still using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?

I used it when it first came out, but now I feel like it is pretty much the same as Platinum, which is great oil. Why bother with paying more for it?

Until Pennzoil claims a significant difference, like they used to (claimed its use resulted in significantly cleaner pistons than Platinum, for one) I will assume it is marginally, if at all, different. I will look again, but the last time I saw the PDS for 0w20, it was nearly the same as Platinum.

I´d love it if they´d soup it up and have some clear data that it out performs Platinum and even other premium oils.
They do, I believe the wording is “65% cleaner pistons than the nearest competitor” or something like that. I don’t think they make the same claim on PP jugs, so there’s no way to tell what the difference between the oils is.

Percentages without the actual result is kind of a cop out IMO, the competitor could still have had a result 4x better than what was required by the test, and with both oils passing, a percentage better than pass is still a pass. 🤷‍♂️

72$ for three 5QT jugs on AMZ. (5W-30)
Despite not having Dexos, a good deal.
About the same price as 12 quarts from a board sponsor, who does not have d1G3 cert but uses a d1G3 approved add pack with better base oils.

I am still partial to Pennzoil and recommend it to F&F who aren’t willing to spend ~$40 on oil per change for the good stuff.

Been using PUP for a few years now. Picked up a large stash of 5qt jugs for $15/ea a few years ago. Still have 3-4 left. Wife's 2.0 Ecoboost and the Vortec 2900 in my little Canyon seem to like it just fine. Both are run with either Fram Ultra or Amsoil filters and 5k OCI's.

About the same price as 12 quarts from a board sponsor, who does not have d1G3 cert but uses a d1G3 approved add pack with better base oils.

I am still partial to Pennzoil and recommend it to F&F who aren’t willing to spend ~$40 on oil per change for the good stuff.
I thought the price for 6 quarts of HPL was around $72 shipped?

I used it when it first came out, but now I feel like it is pretty much the same as Platinum, which is great oil. Why bother with paying more for it?

Until Pennzoil claims a significant difference, like they used to (claimed its use resulted in significantly cleaner pistons than Platinum, for one) I will assume it is marginally, if at all, different. I will look again, but the last time I saw the PDS for 0w20, it was nearly the same as Platinum.

I´d love it if they´d soup it up and have some clear data that it out performs Platinum and even other premium oils.
Lake Speed did a good video breakdown on the differences between PUP and other Pennzoil products recently.

I used PUP 0w20 in my 2019 Tacoma for about 8 months and 3k mi. Changed it out because I had the time and wanted to install a Fumoto valve and change the 2 year old filter.

Replaced with Amsoil 0w20 and the truck seems to idle a little smoother fwiw.

I also ran PUP 0w20 in a 2016 Mazda CX5. It returned fantastic MPGs and seemed to run really well on it.

Hard to attribute much to the oil but that’s what I observed.

Is anyone still using Pnz Ultra Platinum? I have used Pnz Platinum religiously in the past but I one cold flow test, Pnz semi synthetic actually flowed better than the Platinum. I just purchased a 2016 Honda Odyssey with 82k miles. I’m thinking I will use Mobil1 Full Synthetic or Pnz Ultra Platinum. I would have to order the Ultra online.
The Ultra Platinum is good stuff - matches up better with Mobil-1 EP.
Pennzoil Platinum matches up better with (your choice) Mobil-1 Vanilla.

Another one in that approx price range is Castrol Edge EP. You may have to order it from Walmart online also. Walmart stores only want to sell the Black Bottle Edge Vanilla lately. I can't find the Gold Jug there.

I decided to move up 1-2 ladder rungs and just ordered Amsoil EOT European Signature Series 0w30. I had an extra $270 laying around the house from loose change I collected in the past year or-so.

Amsoil website would not allow me to ship all that change by mail.....lol;)

They do, I believe the wording is “65% cleaner pistons than the nearest competitor” or something like that. I don’t think they make the same claim on PP jugs, so there’s no way to tell what the difference between the oils is.

Percentages without the actual result is kind of a cop out IMO, the competitor could still have had a result 4x better than what was required by the test, and with both oils passing, a percentage better than pass is still a pass. 🤷‍♂️
Not what I was referring to. They used to make that claim against their own Pennzoil Platinum. I remember it clearly. I know they still make it relative to competitors, but that's much more vague than where they used to position it in their own lineup.

Sorry if I was not clear before.

No, they used to make that claim against their own Pennzoil Platinum. I remember it clearly. I know they still make it relative to competitors, but that's much more vague than where they used to position it in their own lineup.
Like I said it’s been awhile since I bought PUP, and they seem to remake the bottles and labels about every 12 months. 👍🏻

I've been using it in my 19 Impreza. Have a few more jugs left then moving on to PP because it was much cheaper than PUP at the time I bought it. Can't say I noticed a difference between PUP and M1 EP. But I only got 18k miles on the car and oil changes are usually between 1200 and 2500 miles but 6 months.

Pennzoil was kind enough to ask me if I wanted to participate in a test run of PUP and do 2 UOA's, one for the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 I had in the 2017 Explorer 2.3EcoBoost. I'm just sending in the PUP sample and hopefully they will send me both UOA's. I'll definitely post it here. I did buy the three 5qt jugs on Amazon for the $72($24/5 qt jug). A little less expensive than the "plain vanilla" Mobil 1 5W-30 at the Walmart near me. It was also much less expensive than buying PUP on Walmart.com.

I’ve been running it in my mustang and f150 for the last 2 years. Did someone say it’s not certified for fords?!

Holy **** I been running the wrong oil in my mustang?!

Attachments

• IMG_9989.jpeg
    IMG_9989.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_9988.jpeg
    IMG_9988.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 200
Back