Anyone still use 10w30 oil?

As my real father was talking about the majority of fords, Kias and others that are turbo equipped he asked me what our work uses. I said we use Safety Kleen 5w30 blend for most and Cadillacs new suv calls for DEXOS spec 0w20 so we use Safety Kleen eco ultra 0w20. Look of horror on his face to say least. He thinks people that own a turbo vehicle should use 10w30 year around in them 🙄

Lest I digress, as this is a man that still favors carbeurators over fuel injection

My jeep calls for 10w30 so I use that. My work puts 10W-30 in everything regardless of what it is supposed to use.

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_155617.jpg
    IMG_20201111_155617.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 74
Yes, I just drained a crankcase of Quaker State QSUD 10w30 I bought on sale. For summer use there is nothing wrong with 10w30. There are those who feel it is more shear resistant and therefore will resist shearing down in a Turbo or any other high rpm engine. Manufacturers don’t seem to care about this as there are very few manufacturers who still spec a 10w30 motor oil. If you want to try put science behind it do a used oil analysis on 10w30 and a 5w30 and see what your Kinematic viscosity viscosity is at 100 C. All the UOA places will give you that. From there you can make your own decision for less than $50. QSUD has a higher kinematic viscosity than say Pennzoil for non- Euro type products.

Personally I don't bother to look for it. I have a Chevy 6.0 with over 200,000 miles on 5w30 Synthetic.

My Corvette calls for a 10w30. I also use 0w30 and 5w30 depending on what kind of a synthetic oil steal I can locate at any given time. I always stock up on a good deal. I have about 5 big jugs of magnetec on hand and I believe those jugs are 10w30 which I only use in the Corvette. I usually try to use whatever the manual recommends but will go outside the box if the first number is lower.

I have 3 jugs of Havoline ProDS 10W30 that will be used in my Tacoma soon, but only during warm months. Back to 5w30 for winters.

when i had a chrysler 300 with the 3.5 i used valvoline maxlife syn and a stash of redline 10w30 in it.
which was called for in the manual and on the oil cap . Never had an issue starting unaided even below -30 not that i was expecting any as my old dakota always started at the same temps with valvoline conventional 10w30.

Last edited:
Have not used 10w30 since the 80's. The dealer [Town Motors in Englewood New Jersey] used it in my 88 Town Car with the 302. Then they changed it to 5w30 a year later. Engine seemed quieter on those cold mornings in New Jersey on 5w30. Never used oil on either grade between changes. No issues with that vehicle whatsoever.

Yep i mainly use 10W-40 and 20W-50 but occasionally I’ll use 10W-30 I use it in my 1994 Ford E150, 1989 Mazda B2200 and occasionally I’m going to use it in the Beetle. And my 2001 Jeep Cherokee used it too and will continue to use it when we get the new engine installed. I like using that oil unfortunately it’s hard to find these days. I don’t like the lower grades because they are all part synthetic now which I hate because I don’t like synthetic or synthetic blend oils. The only things I don’t use it in is our 2 Camry’s and our Escape.

I have no qualms using 10w-30... I'd rather use it in summer than 5w-30, but it's more convenient to stash one grade as my OCIs don't always overlap the seasons perfectly. So I can't say I seek it out, but I've purchased plenty when it was the only grade available on sale.

My '07 Pacifica with 4.0L V6 recommends 5w-30 only for temps under 32F, and 10w-30 for all other conditions. I take that with a grain of salt, however.

Back