anyone started trying to save gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even your graph doesn't show a million additional deaths. Looks like deaths go from 2.8 million in 2019 to 3.4 million in 2020, so an extra 600k or ~20% bump.

Yet in a nation of 330 million, that's about 0.2% of the population.
So as I said, significant, but not an extinction event.

And let's be clear, I never said it was insignificant. I said the very opposite, that it was significant, but not the extinction event the breathless coverage made it out to be.

One last thing, it will be interesting to see if follow on year deaths drop BELOW the 2.8 million figure as given that 85% of the deaths were in the over 65 years old cohort, did we "front load" deaths from COVID and will see fewer deaths in following years because of this?

Again, significant, but not an extinction event.

Context is important. About the same number as had died from heart disease during the same time period.
I don't want to derail the thread, so perhaps we should just end this here.
I never heard any source in the last 2.5 years ever claim is was an "extinction event". Don't know where you're coming up with that definition.

Last edited:
Kinda sorta (I have been riding my motorcycle on small errands, 50 mpg) but……Saturday evening my wife and I discussed going to the beach for the day on Sunday, ( we live 3.25 hours from the Atlantic Ocean) so we were up at 4:30 am packed a bag, cooler, beach umbrella, beach chairs etc and at 6:00 am were on the road. Arrived at N. Myrtle beach, S.C. At 9:15 am and parked at a public beach access with bathroom and shower/changing room amenities for $2 an hour. We were settled in by 10:00 am and met a nice couple from R.I. and another from a small town near where we live and we all shared lies and war stories until about 4:00 pm then packed up and grabbed a burger and fries at Burkys Burgers (used to be G.D. Ritzy’s) on the way out of town. Arrived back at home at about 7:30 pm and thoroughly enjoyed the beach 🏖 on our little mini vacation! We decided to take the Avalanche (19mpg highway) instead of my wife’s Lexus es350 (32 mpg Highway) because it’s so easy to just throw our stuff in the back of the Avalanche and not having to deal with all the sand). We spent about $160 for the day of which $120 was just for gas. A year ago it would have been half that amount but…….:censored:

So I’ve long tried to coast to stops, being reasonable about so as to not annoy people behind me, but otherwise avoid taht waste. And now I do try to hit cruise and drive slower when I can—but ”I can’t drive 55” in heavy traffic, someone plays the rabbit and I just have to keep up.

Been wondering about car shopping, maybe a Mirage this time, my 30 mpg car seems so wasteful now. But if I really wanted to save gas i’d move closer to work so i could bike.
Quite a few Mirages on the road in this area, which was without a local Mitsubishi dealership for a number of years. One was re-opened here several years ago and the Mirage seems to be a very brisk seller for various reasons. I passed on a really nice 2014 Lancer at a used car dealer here several years ago account at the time the nearest Mitsubishi dealer was 80 miles away.

Quite a few Mirages on the road in this area, which was without a local Mitsubishi dealership for a number of years. One was re-opened here several years ago and the Mirage seems to be a very brisk seller for various reasons. I passed on a really nice 2014 Lancer at a used car dealer here several years ago account at the time the nearest Mitsubishi dealer was 80 miles away.
I don’t think i’ve seen many Mirages here. Just not popular. Not saying never, just not common.

Love the regression line. Linear Regression is one of the most used analytics tools in forecasting.
The regression line slope is highly affected by the long timeline (x-axis). Imagine how it would look if the timeline were cut in half!
In analytics we speak of determining and using the relevant range to more accurately draw conclusions form the data.

I love this stuff!

The motorcycle is getting the little trips @ 52mpg that don't require lots of storage space. Like PO, the Depot, NAPA, and grocery store for small stuff.
As for cars, I'm not doing the fast lane zoom zoom, but I am avoiding the right lane (slow down for ramp people, speed up to keep up with traffic, slow down for ramp people...) because it eats more gas than maintaining a constant speed in the middle or left lane.

I throw my old Camry back into the mix sometimes. And the Grand Cherokee I drive a little bit slower. Otherwise it is what it is.

Not really. I am driving less than last year but that is mainly because the spring weather has been terrible and it's not as fun to go on drives as when the weather is nice. All the normal driving like going to work, friends, family etc is all the same.

I've been mowing the lawn only once every 2 weeks, and when I do mow it, I mow it on speed 6 (riding mower).

I also called VDOT and informed them that their new traffic signal they activated a couple weeks ago is out of sync with the other ones on the same street. One turns red just as the other turns green. Predictably, they've done nothing about it.

It's OK for me, having a Chevy Volt it's pretty much just a time waste, not a time and gas waste.

I have changed my habits only. I can't see the point in buying a more economical vehicle for big dollars to save an extra $100-$150 a month on gas.

It's a gorgeous Sunday, I took the ZX14R out for a nice 100 mile ride and burned off about 10 bucks worth of fuel. I'm already a frugal minimalist so there aren't too many things I can change. The hours of my life are finite and I'm too old to die young so I'm not sweating the small stuff.
Bingo, that’s what I did. Except I rode the Harley Fatboy. I’m not a big Harley guy but was riding with a group of cruisers. I’d much prefer being out on the R1. We rode a couple hundred miles.

I was beside a girl in her older Dodge full size pickup truck with a camper shell on the back. We both accelerated really slow, maintained a steady speed, and slowed down gradually. We eventually turned opposite ways at our last intersection together. It was funny, we knew exactly what each other was thinking (driving conservatively on this liquid gold , and gave each other a smile and a thumbs-up when we went our separate ways.👍

I didn’t read the entire post. Tires at 38-40psi, coasting to stop and slow acceleration. Keep it below 70mph. Average 40-42mpg, 12 Honda Fit manual.

I never heard any source in the last 2.5 years ever claim is was an "extinction event". Don't know where you're coming up with that definition.
I said treated it like it was, with breathless coverage of how terrible things were. I never heard any coverage that said the vast majority of people will be inconvenienced but fine.

Because that doesn't get eyeballs or clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back