anyone started trying to save gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The increase of gas prices sucks but I've always taken public transportation to my current job since it's ~hour drive without traffic and parking in the city is horribly expensive. It's about $7/day for the train and parking versus 4 gallons of gas + $17 for parking if I get there before 8am ($40+ if I dont.)

My normal weekly driving usually takes up a tank per week so at the low rate of $5/gal, I'm using over $3000/year on gas not including my roadtrips; or nearly $600 more per year compared to my last car.

One thing I noticed has nothing to do with cars, but rather small engines.

I have a Deere garden tractor, V-Twin Kohler and 54" deck. I has a 2 gallon tank, and usually takes between 1.5 and 1.75 gallons to mow the yard. I also have an Exmark 48" walk behind zero turn with a 14hp single cylinder Kawasaki OHV, and it probably uses 1/4 - 1/3 the amount of fuel.

I just recalculated that I use 242 gallons in a year.
So if this gouging lasts till next Summer, that will be just 484 more dollars
more spent for fuel over the coming year @ $4.82/g vs $2.82 previous Summer of '21.

I Just paid $1778.00 to have surgery on an aging pet - 4 molars removed (!)
Then $782 to get my boiler cleaned and some other system repairs.

I just saved my wife 117 bucks by changing her rear axle fluid. The Subaru Stealer wanted $132.00 !

So not lost change but nothing unmanageble.

If Home heating oil is near 6 bucks a gallon in the winter - that will be terribly costly likely between $1500-2000 more to heat the house. This will cause a uproar like never heard up North !
I better get thinking about a pellet stove NOW.

Better price pellets. They are not cheap like they used to be.

Not quite the GS, but I was looking at it's descendant, Vespa GTS300. I guess close enough. But more modern, a blast to ride, and pretty fuel efficient. The only problem is the price... Couldn't swallow the pill that a Vespa is ~$7000, when my Honda Reflex is under $2000. Reflex has more space, more stable on the highway, has higher top speed, and is more fuel efficient. So ended up with the Reflex. Vespa wins on style and acceleration though.

View attachment 104621

They are a neat way to get around.

I wasn’t sure if anyone would catch on to those lyrics.

2020 was barely a blip in terms of the loss of life.

The breathless news coverage was overblown for the number who actually died.
It was serious, but not the extinction event the media critters seemed to think it was.
Big numbers without context are just clickbait/sensationalism to get eyeballs and ears tuned in.
Agreed but it sure messed with normal life is all I am saying. We took advantage of the low prices and traveled a lot. Shifted my priorities. Made me realize having a good time is more important than having a new car or whatever other junk you “have to have” and it just sits.

Sorry, not buying this. You claim you live near SF... $700 won't pay for jack squat there, even if you have $0.00 housing costs.

The biggest thing you claim is reducing your monthly "living" expenses by $250. Not buying it. Our grocery bill has increased over $600/month in the last 2 months and everyone else's has, too. Utilities are about to skyrocket, it's starting in the northeast in August. The boards that run the utilities are just now meeting after insane gas price increases, so they have to address that.

The next 2 years won't be pretty and it's going to take another 5+ to recover from the last 18 months ....
I sent you a private message.

Better price pellets. They are not cheap like they used to be.
Unless you make your own

Also My rig will burn any pellet shaped object including corn, grain leftovers and coal pellets. Used to be able to buy diaper pellets. My father discovered he could setup an oil drip and burn used oil in the thing once it was hot.

The main reason I keep a pellet furnace is as a backup as the ancient gas furnace is likely in its last 5 years of operation.

Locally pellets are still cheaper than fuel oil, but the ton and a quarters here are still priced insane but less insane than fuel oil.

Oddly pellets have been overpriced 2 decades but have gone up less than other fuels.

Natural gas is still the cheapest but that could change.

Nope. Life is too short. Didn’t 2020 teach us that? If I can afford it, I don’t worry about it.
I agree but I want to add that I live in a low tax state so gas is cheap here when I consider what I paid even 4 decades ago.

As a people we just love to complain yet we control our own destiny.
Heck we didn’t even cut back on our activities in 2020 and did everything we always did including vacations.

So far, I've spent more this month replacing a flat tire and fixing some damage from vandalism than what I've spent on gas. With the kind of luck I've had lately, the gas costs less than all the other stuff that tends to happen to me!

I am grateful since college graduation (1994) that I run the credit card at gas pump without much thought and able to pay bill in full every month. That has not changed……

Just got back from a 5 day getaway in San Diego, had a great time, the drive to and from was like driving in the Indy 500. 75 is the bare minimum speed if you want to keep up or get run over, during long stretches of highway set the cruise to 80 to maintain traffic flow, the Regal GS 2.0 did great on gas mileage, not a problem with $6+ gas prices, people still gonna drive. :cool:

In Texas it’s really hurting a lot of people, because Texas is so big, and so many people commute great distances every day.
And the half ton is the efficient commuter for lots of people! I would not be happy if I still had to drive to work everyday for sure, although I would try to start carpooling.

My wife is adjusting our menu to offset food price increases. We made brisket for Father’s Day. I think that is the last of good beef in our house for a while. I’ve been eating salads from my garden for lunch for about 3 weeks.

Right before the major up tick, I decided to work from home 2 days one week and 3 the next so I only drive 2 weeks a month. It’s a blessing to be able to do that, though this week will require 4 days at the office, offset next week.

My daughter just got my 4cyl 09 Camry, which gets 4-5 more mpg than her old New Beetle. I couldn’t wait for that Beetle to die, as I planned on replacing my 95 Wrangler with a newer Jeep, but I bought a 2019 Rouge instead. Between the price of a JKU and their terrible mileage, it’s not an option now.

I’m hoping to sell the YJ before everyone else’s money runs out, as it needs an engine rebuild and I don’t want to do it. It was nice to drive it while I car shopped, which allowed me to burn most of the full tank, leaving enough gas in it for test drives.

My daughter listened to me about cutting back her driving. Tough for a teenager, but she did it, and she buys her own gas.

We don’t do any singular trips, and I’ll pull my bike down for any that do pop up and can fit in my saddlebag or backpack.

We have not changed our plans for a 3000 mile round trip for vacation. I’m not looking forward to what fuel costs on Cape Hatteras will be, but it’s vacation, and I saved for it. Maybe it will be less crowded this year.

Circa mid-2019, when gas prices were nice and low ($1.50-1.75 in my town), I started shopping for a hybrid while all my colleagues were buying bigger and bigger trucks. I cut my fuel consumption by about third once I took delivery of that. Then, when fuel costs started skyrocketing inexplicably (circa January 2021), I negotiated with my boss to allow me to flex some hours from home. I cut my fuel consumption by an additional 40% by doing that. I’ve also started using an Ebike to go the 14 miles round trip to the grocery store or pharmacy. I also use Jerry cans to maximize my fuel rewards points savings that I get from my grocery store; this saves money up front and prevents me from having to go out of my way to the gas station multiple times a month.

Because of my reduction methodology, compared to my early 2019 self, my monthly fuel costs have essentially stayed flat. This is despite fuel jumping from $1.71 in January 2021 to $5 per gallon here in June 2022.

Population increase over the decades?
Yes and no ...

1655756410456.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back