anyone started trying to save gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
with gas prices soaring and no end in sight, the trickle down effect is straining budgets for many of us. myself included. have any of you started to cut back on your trips or in other ways? without getting political, what are some of the things you are doing to save?

prices here range from 4.89 to 5.39 depending on where you are in the county. ive started to consolidate my trips. im also looking at sales at the grocery store & buying store brands when i can. cutting out stuff i dont have to have. keeping netflix & canceling hulu. making changes to my auto insurance to state minimums while keeping full coverage. downgrading my satellite tv package to eliminate premium channels. small changes can add up pretty quick. if things keep getting worse ill have to eliminate some services all together, such as saying bye bye to directv.

the economists on Bloomberg & CNBC warn of a pretty rough summer (likely recession) into early 2023.

Heck yes! I just saw Shell and Chevron $7.19 for premium and like $6.69 for rag.
Wifey drives the Model 3 to work every day now, instead of her beloved TSX.
It cost me $118 to fill the old Tundra at Costco and I still had 1/4 tank.

We may avoid recession if we are lucky and have a soft landing.

with gas prices soaring and no end in sight, the trickle down effect is straining budgets for many of us. myself included. have any of you started to cut back on your trips or in other ways? without getting political, what are some of the things you are doing to save?

prices here range from 4.89 to 5.39 depending on where you are in the county. ive started to consolidate my trips. im also looking at sales at the grocery store & buying store brands when i can. cutting out stuff i dont have to have. keeping netflix & canceling hulu. making changes to my auto insurance to state minimums while keeping full coverage. downgrading my satellite tv package to eliminate premium channels. small changes can add up pretty quick. if things keep getting worse ill have to eliminate some services all together, such as saying bye bye to directv.

the economists on Bloomberg & CNBC warn of a pretty rough summer (likely recession) into early 2023.

I'm definitely consolidating trips. my ranger takes $90+ to fill up & its not the easiest on gas. I'm doing a lot of the things you mentioned. cutting back where I can & if it gets worse just cut out services completely, starting with streaming services & tv. right now our largest household expense is groceries. wow how those prices have raised! we are buying nearly everything on sale and doing without certain items until it does come on sale. we have cut down on eating out and been buying store branded foods for a little while now. good luck to you! i gotta feeling we are all gonna need it.

I find it interesting in my locale (east central GA), that the roads are still full of vehicles on the weekends, and all the restaurant parking lots seem full, as well as the couple of big box home improvement type stores parking lots as well. I have not really noticed too much of a slow down as far as sales at the auto parts place I work part time at, except that parts/merchandise inventory has been sketchy for some time like many other businesses. New houses ,apartment complexes, and rental storage unit places are still being built all over this area.

Reactions: JTK
I find it interesting in my locale (east central GA), that the roads are still full of vehicles on the weekends, and all the restaurant parking lots seem full, as well as the couple of big box home improvement type stores parking lots as well. I have not really noticed too much of a slow down as far as sales at the auto parts place I work part time at, except that parts/merchandise inventory has been sketchy for some time like many other businesses. New houses ,apartment complexes, and rental storage unit places are still being built all over this area.

ive noticed the same thing here in my corner of kentucky. although ive began the cutting back process, TONS of people here have not. the high gas prices dont seem to be slowing anyone down. the roads are packed, the stores are packed & people are spending like crazy. like the OP said about the recession, i have real concerns about it and trying to prepare.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling the effects of this economic situation. We all are, to one degree or another.

I live pretty close to the ground and have little in the way of expenses. For example, my total housing cost is less than $300.00 month. I'm lucky ... I can live on less than $1,000 a month, I've gotten it down as low as $737.00 in recent months, but I'm starting to notice and feel the price increases.

I've been consolidating trips for years, but now I make an extra effort. My last fill-up was from April 13 to June 7, and that was only 3/4 tank. Usually a fill would last 3-weeks to a month. I don't use the car for short, spur-of-the moment trips, rather, I consolidate several days worth of errands into a once or twice-a-week run.

I hope things get better for you.

At this $5/gal range, my wife and I are averaging ~$600/mo just in gasoline. My wife's Pathfinder averages 19-20mpg tank to tank.

When I drive conservatively with my 2019 Ram 1500 classic and keep speeds under 65mph, I can get 23mpg average tank/tank in the warmer months.

We have been doing our best to eliminate trips. With a family of 6 it's tough.

It's a gorgeous Sunday, I took the ZX14R out for a nice 100 mile ride and burned off about 10 bucks worth of fuel. I'm already a frugal minimalist so there aren't too many things I can change. The hours of my life are finite and I'm too old to die young so I'm not sweating the small stuff.

The price of everything is outrageous.
I've always saved for the "rainy" day.
It's raining. It has, yet, not forced me to cut back.
4 5 gal cans is now $100.00.
Tundra (hey JK) 98.02 at an 8th of a tank.
An omelet with a glass of tea....15.95 before tip.
When prices rise at this pace it is instinctual to cut back
unless you are very well to do. Food and energy prices are killing
the country just as the money printer stopped.
Been around for 60 years, 30 as the owner of a small business.
This is the worst I've seen it and IMO it's only the beginning.
By the way. I install lubricants and lubrication filtering devices.
Oil prices are skyrocketing.
God Bless America

I don't drive much anyway, usually only use 3/4 tank a month. Food prices have gotten crazy. My wife and I are fairly frugal to start with. When we need to cut back we do, and its mainly on eating out. Thank goodness we have no debt of any kind.

It's a gorgeous Sunday, I took the ZX14R out for a nice 100 mile ride and burned off about 10 bucks worth of fuel. I'm already a frugal minimalist so there aren't too many things I can change. The hours of my life are finite and I'm too old to die young so I'm not sweating the small stuff.
so it sounds like you're saying life is 'transitory' ?

Just drove to Raleigh and back today, 300 miles. Everybody's still busting the speed limit like gas is $2/gal. I dunno, don't fret it 'cause somebody who knows the skinny said it's only transitory what ever that means.
whan an administration says 'transitory' it means any and everything bad that happens during THEIR administration!

The sad part is that it's the poorest people who suffer the most.

This is the truly unfortunate part.

Shut off the tap too early and unemployment spikes, affecting the lowest wage earners first. Shut off the tap too late and inflation spikes, affecting the lowest wage earners most. No matter the path, the lowest wage earners suffer the most and the longest.

Still, inflation-adjusted consumer spending is running around 1% higher year-over-year. For the 95% of people who say inflation is a problem, consumers aren't yet spending like it is. That means there's still some pain to come.

It's going to be a personal decision if you let these ridiculous gas prices change your way of llife.

I'm still planning my summer trip.. but, as a whole, no, I won't let it impede me doing what I want to do.

It's summer, so it will be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back