Anyone rethinking auto decisions?

Properly optioned, a Tesla would out drag my Mercedes.

But it lacks the soul. The subtle, sonorous sound of a V-12.

I meant the S600, which was never intended to be a dragster, but will pin you back in the seat anyways. It’s a gentleman’s autobahn rocket. It is wonderful on road trips, or to transport four people in luxury.

But it is not fulfilling a requirement in my household. It’s purely a want. Purely a fun car.

All good. 😁
Yep, our big bosses have several AMG’s … you know when one of them has past the security shack …

I’m totally hijacking Supton’s thread, for that I apologize. What I love about the S600 is that it has AMG performance but none of the badging. A subtle “V-12” on each fender. A “600” on the trunk. That’s it. But under the hood is a 5.5 liter twin turbo engine with 500+ BHP and 600+ lbft. So smooth. So quiet. And a mountain of torque when you want it...

Hard to make the case that it fills a transportation requirement...

Prime is interesting but only 42 mile range. That would work for a trip to the grocery store, or to take kids to school Wouldn't last for a run to Walmart and back. Wouldn't even make it all the way to work! Now, that might be ok... if it could be told to not recharge but to run with a min battery state for 5-10 miles, then recharge when home?

Credits are nice but I'd leave half of it on the table. My pay is good but not that good. Between the credit not being helpful, short range, higher price and limited availability, just doesn't seem to make sense, IMO.
You realize it's got a gasoline engine too, and has a 500+ mile range between fill-ups, right? That's 42 miles ELECTRIC ONLY. It's a regenerative hybrid with PEV capability.

If you "enjoy driving" and want a "drivers car" the Crown Vic isn't the answer. Except maybe the pursuit version.
The pursuit version is the same thing more or less. I owned one. It's absolutely nothing special. Stiffer suspension, but higher off the ground, aluminum DS, 3.72 posi-trak, heavy duty cooling/alternator/etc. It's still wallowy and slow vs pretty much any other modern sedan.

Not rethinking anything. The reality is that we have a bunch of toys. With the exception of one, none are really 'practical'. That works for us as kids are grown, we're retired and just pursuing hobbies, and we have no debt.

Reactions: Ws6
You realize it's got a gasoline engine too, and has a 500+ mile range between fill-ups, right? That's 42 miles ELECTRIC ONLY. It's a regenerative hybrid with PEV capability.
Yep, I know. Up to 42 miles "free" then the gas motor kicks in. If it then recharges the battery pack back up to full (or whatever high percentage it uses), it's still using lower cost electricity (? with NH rates of 20c per kWhr?) but ideally it'd go home with a depleted battery and be recharged.

At the moment a high percentage of my trips would be fine like that. Pre-pandemic very few of my trips were sub-42 miles.

Prime is interesting but only 42 mile range. That would work for a trip to the grocery store, or to take kids to school Wouldn't last for a run to Walmart and back. Wouldn't even make it all the way to work! Now, that might be ok... if it could be told to not recharge but to run with a min battery state for 5-10 miles, then recharge when home?

Credits are nice but I'd leave half of it on the table. My pay is good but not that good. Between the credit not being helpful, short range, higher price and limited availability, just doesn't seem to make sense, IMO.
There is a hybrid button that turns it essentially into a regular hybrid with a bigger battery. Don’t need to charge it on line current ever if so choose. It’s good for plug ins to run out of battery and run the engine because sometimes it can go months and the engine never turns on. Like I have said on my Volt last year I bought 2 gals of gas and that was to drive it to dealers. I wouldn’t have had to buy any and all the electricity was free, to me.

I’m totally hijacking Supton’s thread, for that I apologize. What I love about the S600 is that it has AMG performance but none of the badging. A subtle “V-12” on each fender. A “600” on the trunk. That’s it. But under the hood is a 5.5 liter twin turbo engine with 500+ BHP and 600+ lbft. So smooth. So quiet. And a mountain of torque when you want it...

Hard to make the case that it fills a transportation requirement...
No offense taken. It's a discussion forum and all. In so many ways this thread is just me dreaming and running ideas off others, in "the real world" our discussion would take no less of a turn.

I did like having a wagon way back when. Fun to drive and all. Wife was open to me getting another VW again, since with a garage I *should* be more able to work on it again (I used to drive out of state to get a good mechanic, and at 32k/year it was getting *something* on a yearly basis). This winter I had a complete and utter crash in motivation, it happens every year it seems, and for a couple of months I did not want to work on anything. I'm only just coming back around.

There was a similar post a few weeks ago. It seemed to come down to selling the second vehicle unless you were set in funds, including retirement. If you were all set financially, then keep it just in case one of them breaks down.

There was a similar post a few weeks ago. It seemed to come down to selling the second vehicle unless you were set in funds, including retirement. If you were all set financially, then keep it just in case one of them breaks down.
Good point. I figure I have 20 more years until I have enough saved for retirement. I was going to bump my retirement contribution this year from 12% to 17% (not including match) and was going to do that regardless of car buying. But my nest egg is nowhere near where I need it to be. I'll probably let my savings rate inch up as the years go by--but at 20 out I am dubious that my current fleet will be around at that time.

Don't forget, my fleet still has to pass yearly inspection, and three of them have to pass emissions. Cheaper than a car payment but all of them are on the hook for trans failures, cat failures, etc. Except the one which can now legally have the CEL ignored. :) It of course has rewarded me with delayed engagement into drive over the last couple of years. :(

No, I need to talk myself out of changing my fleet once again. 20 years will come and go faster than I think--the last 20 certainly did. This thread is slowly getting me there.

Good point. I figure I have 20 more years until I have enough saved for retirement. I was going to bump my retirement contribution this year from 12% to 17% (not including match) and was going to do that regardless of car buying. But my nest egg is nowhere near where I need it to be. I'll probably let my savings rate inch up as the years go by--but at 20 out I am dubious that my current fleet will be around at that time.

Don't forget, my fleet still has to pass yearly inspection, and three of them have to pass emissions. Cheaper than a car payment but all of them are on the hook for trans failures, cat failures, etc. Except the one which can now legally have the CEL ignored. :) It of course has rewarded me with delayed engagement into drive over the last couple of years. :(

No, I need to talk myself out of changing my fleet once again. 20 years will come and go faster than I think--the last 20 certainly did. This thread is slowly getting me there.
I'd sell it. We are in uncertain times and I believe financial security is of utmost importance.

I'd sell it. We are in uncertain times and I believe financial security is of utmost importance.
I'm way too far from financial independence. At 44 I have 15.5 years before I can draw from my 401k which is where all my net value lives. Couple more years the wife goes back to full time work and then we'll hammer down on the mortgage, with any luck everything will be wrapped up and in good shape for when I hit 60. Probably won't retire for some time even then, since full SS is not until 67.

23 more years is starting to feel like a lifetime. Plus I've already spent the last 20 years hearing about how bad things are going to be in the future. If I believed that I would just quit on life.

I've had multiple cars for so long I can't imagine living any other way. I sure don't want to have less than 2 cars. Even the best cars need repairs/maintenance from time to time and I want something to fall back on during those times even if it's just a 20 year old clunker. I've currently got 3 cars licensed and insured and have had as many as 5 in the past.

Reactions: wtd
The pursuit version is the same thing more or less. I owned one. It's absolutely nothing special. Stiffer suspension, but higher off the ground, aluminum DS, 3.72 posi-trak, heavy duty cooling/alternator/etc. It's still wallowy and slow vs pretty much any other modern sedan.

The (Crown Vic) dinosaurs need to be put out of their misery...............

I had planned to purchase a new car last year, but the pandemic and work from home added at least another year (if not two) of service for my current car. If/when we ever get back to the office, I will start thinking of getting something new. There has been literally no word at this point of the planned return to the office. The last it was spoken about was July 2020 at which point the planned return was canceled for the "foreseeable future". I would imagine the return will happen once the vaccine is widely available, so probably August/September.

Cars are getting so expensive, the additional time will give me a chance to save some additional money toward the purchase.

I'm way too far from financial independence. At 44 I have 15.5 years before I can draw from my 401k which is where all my net value lives. Couple more years the wife goes back to full time work and then we'll hammer down on the mortgage, with any luck everything will be wrapped up and in good shape for when I hit 60. Probably won't retire for some time even then, since full SS is not until 67.

23 more years is starting to feel like a lifetime. Plus I've already spent the last 20 years hearing about how bad things are going to be in the future. If I believed that I would just quit on life.
I have a friend that wound up unemployed at 62 years old and refuses to take SS until he's 65 so he gets his full thing. He doesn't have two nickels to rub together and just sits at home broke. It's silly but he's adamant he's getting his full share from SS. I think of it as the full SS kicks in at 62 and you get a raise for every year you postpone taking it. All depends on your health and mental state when you're nearing 60.

My advice is to max out that 401k if you can.

I have a friend that wound up unemployed at 62 years old and refuses to take SS until he's 65 so he gets his full thing. He doesn't have two nickels to rub together and just sits at home broke. It's silly but he's adamant he's getting his full share from SS. I think of it as the full SS kicks in at 62 and you get a raise for every year you postpone taking it. All depends on your health and mental state when you're nearing 60.

My advice is to max out that 401k if you can.
I hope to hit max in a couple of years. This year I plan to start a Roth, finally; will convert some of my emergency fund over I think, sitting on more than six months income (in cash) so I should do one for last year, then set up auto withdraw for this year (bit scary to do two years at once).

With any luck I should cross over into real money in my 50's, then be able to quit saving by the time I'm 60 (maybe) and focus on mortgage payoff instead. I'm not quite on track by online advice; only 3.5x my salary in my 401k but it's not doing too badly either.

I think I need to just convince myself back to what I realized I should do this fall: when the wife needs a car, trade the truck towards that purchase. I either take her car and get rid of my Camry, or continue on with my Camry, go until either quits, then find another beater to get by on.

It's the waiting that's killing me.

Back