Anyone rethinking auto decisions?

Not really. I live in a somewhat rural area so I can do some hiking, plenty of biking, without driving (or driving far), but all the tourist areas require reservations.

I go to the transfer station once a week (6 miles round trip?) and Home Depot every couple (40 roundtrip) and try not to go out otherwise. I'll make the random trip to the grocery store (wife goes twice a week), and if I'm really feeling a need to go out, maybe a local fleamarket.

Obviously I get out sometimes, the "no place to go" is a bit of an exaggeration. But I am trying not to go out unless if there is an actual need. "I feel like going out" isn't a need, sure feels like one sometimes, but more than ever I need to buckle down and stay away from everyone.
For a lot of the same reasons, I just waved goodbye to my trusty Crown Victoria yesterday. I bought it about two years ago to soak up the commuting kilometres (about 180km round trip). Two months later, I ended up being assigned a work vehicle. We then had three personal vehicles and a work vehicle in a two driver household. I kept thinking it would be a nice backup, or one day I would need to drive it to work again. I finally accepted that it was totally unnecessary and a waste of money, and listed it a couple weeks ago. A buyer contacted me last weekend and took it for the (reasonable) asking price. The cash in my hand feels better than the security of having spare vehicles lying around, and it doesn't rust.
Sounds like you guys view cars more as appliances than entertainment sources. Nothing wrong with that. It's like if your house had two refrigerators or two dishwashers (which some people actually have) it would make little sense to keep both if you don't eat much or use paper plates often. On the other hand, many people enjoy driving itself. An analogy would be folks that have more than one flat screen TV in the house because they enjoy movies and TV.

I wouldn't make any changes until you have a better picture of your employer's long-term plan. There are a lot of signs indicating that folks will be returning to the office by Q3 so you may very well be back to your old habits. My industry has already begun to show signs of returning to the office and I expect many others to follow suit shortly.
There was talk of April, but that was last summer I think when that date was picked--and it was stated tongue in cheek, with the expectation of moving. 'tis a good point though. Nobody knows the future right now.

Sounds like you guys view cars more as appliances than entertainment sources. Nothing wrong with that. It's like if your house had two refrigerators or two dishwashers (which some people actually have) it would make little sense to keep both if you don't eat much or use paper plates often. On the other hand, many people enjoy driving itself. An analogy would be folks that have more than one flat screen TV in the house because they enjoy movies and TV.
I used to enjoy driving. I still kinda do, but after paying off several vehicles over the years, and watching them erode, I think I like "traveling" more than "driving".

I've tried to avoid making a statement about my vehicle, or using it to define me. It does stuff for me, but I don't live for it. I owned a nice car once, a VW diesel station wagon, it wasn't brown but otherwise met the meme: stickshift, diesel, wagon, high mpg. It was optioned out for the year too, leather and all. But after 300k and 11 NH winters, it was kinda used up and needed more work than it was worth I thought. Since then... I've just not cared. Middle aged now, with all of its baggage.

There was talk of April, but that was last summer I think when that date was picked--and it was stated tongue in cheek, with the expectation of moving. 'tis a good point though. Nobody knows the future right now.
Well if you look at the projections, the current situation should change by the summer or fall which is only a few months away.

Fair point, but we're talking about a Crown Vic, not a 911. If I had a toy car in the garage, it would be an entirely different thought process.

I remember your wife getting the itch for a new car. Is she willing to drive something bigger? If you got her a Highlander, it could tow your stuff and you could take on the 11’ Camry, then get rid of the other 2.

I’m starting a new position at the company I work for in a couple weeks, so I will be working from home. The Genesis mileage will go down a lot, but my extended warranty will kind of be extended, as I might not hit the miles before the date runs out.

That describes my SRT. The problem is all it does is sit in the garage. In 3 years I racked up a total of 4K miles on it. It doesn't come out at all from November to April as I don't have winter wheels for it. It's cheaper (and less painful) to just drive a winter beater instead.

I shouldn't have bought it.
Had a z06 like that. I know the feels.

My thought is it will be awhile before used vehicle prices go back down to normal levels. Sell it now if you really would rather have the money, but if you will need it soon in the future it might be hard to find the same thing for a good price.

Yes, I think how much you are likely to need the truck is the biggest consideration here. You could get top dollar for it now, but if you wind up with seller's remorse and want to find another used truck, you'll be paying top dollar too.

If you really don't need the capabilities of the truck that much, or if the single nice replacement vehicle would be a brand new truck, then this might be a good time to make the change. It's an awful time to be buying a used truck though, the prices are just crazy. People will pay $20-30K for stuff with 100K miles on it. Dealer inventories are starting to pick back up, but used trucks were crazy before the pandemic too, so I wouldn't expect them to be a good value any time soon. Gas will have to get a lot more expensive for that to happen.

Is there a particular single replacement vehicle you are interested in?

I had been ogling the RAV4 Hybrid, it doesn't have the towing I want but otherwise seems all around close. Highlander Hybrid would have the towing but that's like another $10k up from there, and I have no need for a third row. If I were to change, I want something around Camry size so it would fit in my garage, and high(er) mpg would always be nice too. Otherwise it doesn't seem to make sense.

Wife could use something with more ground clearance, she drives on dirt roads more than I do, the scrapes are apparent, but I'm not sure she wants anything other than a Camry. She drove her mom's new CRV and doesn't have much love for it.

The CRV is going to be cannon fodder for the oldest, once he gets his license in... six months? year? something like that. Not planning on dropping below 3 vehicles at this time. Not unless if I could "know" was now forever working from home.

We hope to build a shed out in the back of our lot, and a pickup would be nice to move materials out to there, ground clearance and all. But am I going to "need" it after that? probably about as much as I needed it before then, which is to say, sporadically.

I had been ogling the RAV4 Hybrid, it doesn't have the towing I want but otherwise seems all around close. Highlander Hybrid would have the towing but that's like another $10k up from there, and I have no need for a third row. If I were to change, I want something around Camry size so it would fit in my garage, and high(er) mpg would always be nice too. Otherwise it doesn't seem to make sense.

Wife could use something with more ground clearance, she drives on dirt roads more than I do, the scrapes are apparent, but I'm not sure she wants anything other than a Camry. She drove her mom's new CRV and doesn't have much love for it.

The CRV is going to be cannon fodder for the oldest, once he gets his license in... six months? year? something like that. Not planning on dropping below 3 vehicles at this time. Not unless if I could "know" was now forever working from home.

We hope to build a shed out in the back of our lot, and a pickup would be nice to move materials out to there, ground clearance and all. But am I going to "need" it after that? probably about as much as I needed it before then, which is to say, sporadically.
Why not the PRIME? It seems better in literally every way, and should qualify for even more .gov credit.

Nope, in fact I’m super glad I traded the 300 for the truck. Being on nights I get out just as the road crews are starting to work on the interstates, which I try to avoid, and the 300 would have struggled big time. This was my Monday morning... wife thought she could make it out in the van because “your truck had no problem!” She’s lucky she’s cute lol
5EA1D9B4-7361-4193-B0B1-4D0200CA360B.jpeg

Prime is interesting but only 42 mile range. That would work for a trip to the grocery store, or to take kids to school Wouldn't last for a run to Walmart and back. Wouldn't even make it all the way to work! Now, that might be ok... if it could be told to not recharge but to run with a min battery state for 5-10 miles, then recharge when home?

Credits are nice but I'd leave half of it on the table. My pay is good but not that good. Between the credit not being helpful, short range, higher price and limited availability, just doesn't seem to make sense, IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: Ws6
We are not rethinking auto decisions (in reference to your thread title) because we know that the pandemic driven change in our driving patterns is temporary. My wife still drives to work every day (her work is classified, so, can’t really work from home). I work less, but haven’t been driving less since I generally fly to get to work.

Start your analysis by looking at realistic use. What is the mission? What must the vehicle do? If it’s haul around a couple adults, then new sedan. If it’s tow classic car, load up firewood, bring home lumber from Home Depot, then, it’s truck.

Be careful to define requirements, not just idle “desires”. The latter drives most new car purchases.

You live in the rust belt. If I were to choose a car for me, and just have one, in your part of the country, I might go Volvo SUV. I would be loading up a couple of adults, a dog or two, skis, camping gear, luggage for road trips, etc. I have an occasional need haul stuff from Home Depot. For that mission profile, a rust-resistant, nicely appointed SUV with a touch of luxury fits my mission requirement and budget.

I can keep a couple cars down here without your issues. My vehicle fleet meets mission requirements. I do tow, haul lumber, big car parts, etc. Hence truck. My wife shops, drives to work, takes the dogs places and moves things around. Wagon.

My other vehicles are, frankly, hobbies. No illusions. The V-12 is an indulgence. Wonderful to drive, it is not needed to meet any mission. The Packard is a hobby, and a memory of my father.

The other wagons are with my kids, who ski, drive to work, go to the grocery store, and live in mountainous, salty, snowy country. Those wagons are perfect for the mission. Good MPG. Lots of room. Safe. Good handling, great brakes, durable and rust resistant.

It’s about defining the mission (set of tasks) first, then defining the capabilities that fit the mission, then selecting a vehicle with those capabilities, being careful to stick with requirements, not desires.

If you "enjoy driving" and want a "drivers car" the Crown Vic isn't the answer. Except maybe the pursuit version.

This time last year I started the search for a used pickup. A certain something hit. Used truck prices nearly doubled. New trucks were highly discounted but the dealers ran out. Due to those factors and economic uncertainty, I've decided that I'm just going to stick with what I have. Maybe I'll pick up another old Jeep or something.

The Subaru works for a DD and my F350 can keep going for a few more years locally. I may even drop the cash or a new bed for it. If it needs an engine, that same engine was used until 2017 in the E series. I already have a spare transmission. Depending on what happens with gas prices ,the Subaru may et traded on an electric car.

Those are good comments Astro.

The mission is still the same
  • Go back and forth to work (all highway). That would never change as I don't have local employment opportunities
  • Go to various stores and whatnot (almost all highway and backroads)
  • Deal with all four seasons
  • No need for off road capability, outside of typical driving on grass and dirt roads
  • Up to 4 person hauling
  • Random moving of things
    • Ideally I could move 2 or more trashcans to the transfer station in the trunk without resorting to a trailer
    • Some towing capacity, at least 4x8 open trailer
  • Low TCO
  • Not "exotic" requiring trips out of state for service, or using "rare" technology (like a VW TDi in the early 2000's)
  • Everything above and beyond that is "want" not "need"
The constraints have changed.
  • Instead of no garage, I now have a "nice" 2 car garage, his and hers
  • Instead of easy 4 car parking with no musical cars (all spots were pull in/pull out), plus parking for 2+ more, I now have 2 easy parking spots (garage), a third that is annoying, and the rest will be attacked by vermin
  • Instead of 32kmiles/year, I am looking at potentially 15k. Talking with my boss, he's not sure why I need to come in more than 2 days a week now. At least for this employer, all bets off if I change employers (change in employer would likely double my commute)
As the years have gone by I've become more aware of the rust belt and other issues
  • All of my vehicles are 10 years old (or older). BITOG wisdom says they all need flex brake lines as a result. What is my risk of breaking things if I decide to replace them all?
  • Looking at my truck, what I think is "normal" for rust flips people out. Link I've also noticed some rust starting on some pinch welds, and the prior attempts at slowing down rust underneath just isn't working.
  • Is it time to just accept it for what it is, 10 years and done, as an upper limit to term of ownership?
  • Or just get cozy with a local garage and ask them to start proactively replacing things so that I can limit unexpected repairs?

I should have added “budget” in there as a requirement....

I certainly acknowledge fun cars. I have two fun cars. Cars that fit no requirement, just my desire to have them. That’s cool, just don’t confuse fun cars with transportation needs.

If you’re fortunate, you can get a car that fills the mission, meets the needs, and is still fun.

Our minivan was not fun. But it absolutely met the mission better than any alternative.

Let me add that the Volvo wagons, with a light weight FWD body, 250 HP turbo, wonderful seats, great brakes and handling, absolutely are fun while meeting the need. My kids love their Volvos. Having power to spare for an uphill pass at high altitude on the way to the ski area, and great brakes for the downhill return, they are both fun and meet the need for safety, passenger and cargo capacity, economy, reliability, and low cost (all bought used).

They were bought to do precisely what you outline above...just sayin’...perhaps a good used wagon fits the Bill?

Here is the ‘02 XC getting new brakes and a complete suspension rebuild. It’s got 265,000 miles on it. Still fun. Still hauls dogs, Costco supplies, goes to work, road trips to DC, and it has AWD, ABS, stability control, side airbags, Volvo construction and a turbo engine.
FB082F87-2819-484A-907C-583A4F40276E.jpeg

I should have added “budget” in there as a requirement....

I certainly acknowledge fun cars. I have two fun cars. Cars that fit no requirement, just my desire to have them. That’s cool, just don’t confuse fun cars with transportation needs.

If you’re fortunate, you can get a car that fills the mission, meets the needs, and is still fun.

Our minivan was not fun. But it absolutely met the mission better than any alternative.

Let me add that the Volvo wagons, with a light weight FWD body, 250 HP turbo, wonderful seats, great brakes and handling, absolutely are fun while meeting the need. My kids love their Volvos. Having power to spare for an uphill pass at high altitude on the way to the ski area, and great brakes for the downhill return, they are both fun and meet the need for safety, passenger and cargo capacity, economy, reliability, and low cost (all bought used).
You mean that Scrolling600 or did you buy a Tesla 👀

Properly optioned, a Tesla would out drag my Mercedes.

But it lacks the soul. The subtle, sonorous sound of a V-12.

I meant the S600, which was never intended to be a dragster, but will pin you back in the seat anyways. It’s a gentleman’s autobahn rocket. It is wonderful on road trips, or to transport four people in luxury.

But it is not fulfilling a requirement in my household. It’s purely a want. Purely a fun car.

All good. 😁

Back