Anyone know of any places that take old gasoline?

I'm going to be syphoning old gas out of a car that has sat for quite a while. To my surprise there is no place in town that disposes of old gasoline. Not a single friggin place as far as hazardous waste facilities go.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to dispose of this stuff without violating any federal or local laws.

I used to dig a hole in my dirt driveway pour it in and have an eternal flame for about a 1/2 hour.

Then I paved it. So cant do that anymore.

I mix in a 1/2 gal. to the 5 waste oil in the jerry jug when that goes to the town for the waste oil burner. I told the guy taking the oil - he said no problem.

Also Do NOT dump it in the home heating oil fill. BTDT - not good results. Did a bit too much tank sludge clean out one winter 15 years ago.

I had the same situation as you, but I only had about 4 gallons to get rid of. I have a friend who is a instructor at the local Fire academy, so I figured that its a no brainer. But I was surprised that he told me they no longer use gasoline for the fires the set. Luckily the county I live in has periodic haz mat collection days. That's where I was able to get rid of it at. If it's too stale or varnish like, I wouldn't try burning it in a lawn mower. That is unless you want to rebuild the carb after you do.,,

I would NEVER put bad gasoline in a modern car or a mower. Don't need F.I. or carb issues.

Bad is bad! Or is it just a year on?

I use year old gasoline E10 all the time form the jerry can

. It ALWAYS has some marine STA-BIL and some top oil in it.

Check with local junkyards if you have any nearby. They deal with old cars all the time. One of the yards near me has a huge tank they drain all gas into. The odor of old, stale gas is very prominent there.

I ran some pretty stinky four year old gas out of my boat and put it into a Nissan 240sx I used to have and after filtering it through a coffee filter it ran in the Nissan no problem.

If it isn't too old I will mix it into a driver car's tank. If very old I will pour it down my long gravel driveway to evaporate. Good luck.

I'm going to be syphoning old gas out of a car that has sat for quite a while. To my surprise there is no place in town that disposes of old gasoline. Not a single friggin place as far as hazardous waste facilities go.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to dispose of this stuff without violating any federal or local laws.

We have a fire department training center that will … try to find one and give them a buzz …

Last edited:
Do the neighbors park outside, and do they use locking gas caps?

How much is your time worth? I wonder if you put the can of gas on the curb with a “free” sign on it, if it would be gone in an hour.

Back