Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can leave any filter in any car forever. There is nothing known if it is working correctly unless you have a glass window on it. No one cares about your car, they want to sell things to you, that's why they make things to sell. Purolatear makes the filter, designs it, puts it together, as far as they recommend themselves, the Classic should last 3k miles, depending on conditions. Which means who knows what.

Every major manufacturer of oil filters guarantees their filters to meet the requirements of the OEM. So you can be confident in buying their product. They recommend a more frequent change interval to make more money, just life oil change shops.

I hope these photos post properly.

This failure may be the result of a faulty filter bypass valve but I have not had problems with other brands of filters. The bypass valve is located in the filter cap and I have replaced it.

It appears the pressure on the outside of the media pushes it into the structure of the filter core where it tears around the centre cage.

I won't be sending this back to Purolator like I did the previous filter as their response last time was less than stellar.

Tearolator I don't think they will be fixing it anytime soon as many people have been cutting them open and found them tearing since 2013

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

I hope these photos post properly.

This failure may be the result of a faulty filter bypass valve but I have not had problems with other brands of filters. The bypass valve is located in the filter cap and I have replaced it.

It appears the pressure on the outside of the media pushes it into the structure of the filter core where it tears around the centre cage.

stress%20on%20media%20interior%202015_zps0dy7scur.jpg

Is the media in this filter brittle feeling when you push it around with your fingers, put stress on it like oil would while pushing it towards the center cage?

If the media is brittle like in the Classic I found with tears, I would think the media is tearing due to the normal delta-p across the media. Since you have even replaced the bypass valve and other filters don't seem to have a problem, then I'm thinking it's the media is weak in the Purolator.

Did any of the other filters ran in this car have the center cage impressions cast into the media where the pleats touch the center cage?

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Tearolator I don't think they will be fixing it anytime soon as many people have been cutting them open and found them tearing since 2013.

Actually, the first time a torn Purolator was reported was back in May 2011. There weren't any more reported for a long time after that until around early 2014.

First Reported Tear

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Tearolator I don't think they will be fixing it anytime soon as many people have been cutting them open and found them tearing since 2013.

Actually, the first time a torn Purolator was reported was back in May 2011. There weren't any more reported for a long time after that until around early 2014.

First Reported Tear

Even worst, and tearolator "Sorry our filters suck and we cannot do anything about it"

Thats what we all get when emailing them.

January 2014 I purchased two Purolator Classic filters which appear to have been made about 1 year earlier. I used these two Classic filters from April 2014 to March of 2015. Prior to using these last two Purolator classic filters, I had used Fram extra guard, Bosch premium and Mobil extended perf and probably some others. No defects were noticed with any of the filters other than the Classics. I have only now changed the bypass valve which is located in the oil filter cap as I really have no choice. I have to eliminate any possibility that it is defective.

Both failed filters had multiple holes in the media, 28 in the first and I count 21 in the second filter. It looks like a poor design to me as during operation the media is pressed against the centre cage which consists of only a few ribs which have sharp edges. You can see in the photos, where the media is failing. Other filters for my car, use the same sort of centre tube.

I returned the first filter to fail to Purolator and I had a few email conversations with them. The answers were always vague and evasive, usually not directly answering my questions. They did point me to their online guarantee that says all of their filters meet the requirements as set forth in the vehicle’s owner’s manual but would go on to say they recommend X number of miles for this filter and X miles for that filter. Their recommended filter change intervals were always far less than stipulated in their guarantee.

Perhaps the media in these filters is weak or becomes plugged up easily and the pressure bypass valve is set to high for them. I don’t know. I’ve changed the bypass valve but that doesn’t mean I’m going to use a classic filter again.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the engines dont seem to be "piling up" but they may be wearing faster
That must be one of my Camrys has gone 300K on these filters. Wearing right out, not that I have noticed.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the engines dont seem to be "piling up" but they may be wearing faster
That must be one of my Camrys has gone 300K on these filters. Wearing right out, not that I have noticed.

Wow, you have put 300,000 miles on a 2014 Camry???? It would be hard to only have a '13 or '14 era Tearolator for 300,000mi . It is not an issue that Purolator might have been a good filter in previous years (I used them) but recently they are...junk. They are kinda like the current LA Lakers... or should I say the 93-98 Celtics.

News flash....just in....Purolator oil filters sometimes have small media tears....end of message

You guys are running out of dead horses here.

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
This could be because your running a classic 4.7k miles...if you want an extended OCI then step up to a pureone or synthetic. Use the right tool for the right job!
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like only the synthetic is good for more than 3K miles

Using your logic the pure one is only good for 3K miles as they use the same usage terms for their classic as they do the pure one.....Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. So in your view the "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer only applies if the manufacture requires less than 3K mile filter changes?

They also say you should change your oil and filter every 3K miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer. So..... Purolator classics and Pureones are only good for 3K miles unless your manufacture specs less than 3K. Same for oil, it's only good for 3K miles unless the manufacture spec less than 3K.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
News flash....just in....Purolator oil filters sometimes have small media tears....end of message

The horse will never be dead from beating as long as reported tears come in.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
Originally Posted By: jk_636
This could be because your running a classic 4.7k miles...if you want an extended OCI then step up to a pureone or synthetic. Use the right tool for the right job!
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like only the synthetic is good for more than 3K miles

Using your logic the pure one is only good for 3K miles as they use the same usage terms for their classic as they do the pure one.....Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. So in your view the "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer only applies if the manufacture requires less than 3K mile filter changes?

More like the other way around. If your car manufacturer recommends 10K filter changes, then I think Purolator is saying that their oil filters can meet the OEM filter change recommendation.

If an oil filter can only last 3K miles in a car that says the service schedule for an oil filter change is 7,500 or 10,000 miles, then that's one sorry excuse for an oil filter!

whistle.gif

there have been no reported tears in 2015. there were no legitimate tears in 2014 or earlier. just amateur's tearing media while opening the filters.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

whistle.gif

there have been no reported tears in 2015. there were no legitimate tears in 2014 or earlier. just amateur's tearing media while opening the filters.

You need to give up your dead horse too my friend.

Just today there was a failed FL400s.

If you look at the first page of other filter threads, there is a failed Bosch Premium.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

You need to give up your dead horse too my friend.

Just today there was a failed FL400s.

If you look at the first page of other filter threads, there is a failed Bosch Premium.

LOL ... yeah, that's the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard on why Purolator filters tear.

whistle.gif

Right

So everyone who posted pics is an amateur. Gimme a break.
I cut my frams open with a sawzall,and when I seperate the can I haven't damaged the media whatsoever.
And how would you explain tears halfway up the media. Where a tool wasn't present.
Truly absurd.
Keep buying them though. You are presented with info yet choose to ignore it. Why doesn't that surprise me.
Some people choose to deny the obvious,which says quite a bit about them as a person. Why even be a bitoger since you've got no interest in learning anything.
I forgot.....you already know everything.
Hooray.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Some people choose to deny the obvious,which says quite a bit about them as a person. Why even be a bitoger since you've got no interest in learning anything.
I forgot.....you already know everything.
Hooray.

lets keep the personal attacks to a minimum please. science speaks loudly where little to no evidence has been collected and presented, let that sink in and try again with a better argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back