Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
IMHO...
The 3,000 mile change interval is pure marketing in the same way Jiffy lubes says you should change oil every 3,000 miles. Please note they also want you to change the Pureone filter every 3,000 miles.

Read the rest of their use statement ... "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

So ... if a vehicle manufacture says to change the oil filter every 10K or 15K, then Purolator is saying their filter can meet that requirement.

Purolator [in their chart] is saying the Classic is good up to 15,000 miles just like the filters of yesterday and to meet the maintenance schedule requirements of todays cars. They are also saying the PureONe filter is good up to 15,000 miles plus. How much more? They are not saying.

I'm not convinced the chart is saying that. Again, why would the Classic and PureOne be rated for longer mileage use then their full synthetic filter, which they claim is their "long lasting filter".

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

It would be interesting to ask Purolator if their classic is okay to use for 15,000 miles as per GM's oil life monitor. I think they would say yes. But I don't think they would say it's okay to go longer than the oil life monitor with one of their better filters.

The way I see it.

1. There basic filter must meet manufacturers minimum capability which could equal 15,000 miles.

2. They want to sell a more expensive filter but they do not want to go out on a limb and exceed the engine manufacturer's limits. Hence confusing/contradictory marketing.

Speaking of manufacturer recommendations these days that follow these oil life meters/monitors, do they actually differentiate oil and oil filter?

For example, my old Honda manual says I should change it at least every other oil change. Would newer extended oil intervals have recommendations to have the filter changed before resetting the OLM?

The Classic name is just that,a name
It doesnt mean it is made like filters from the past which really were not better than now
It is an entry level filter and needs to be treated as such
I dont think it is smart to go 15k on these
If Classics can go 15k I guess PureOnes can go 30 k and their syn filter could go what,50k ??
It has been shown here Classics have a hard time going 10 miles without tearing
Its your money but filters are cheap,even top tier ones
Filters are about the cheapest replacement part on cars

Assuming the media didn't tear, I think the filter media itself could go the 15,000. Its been proven here before. The rubber ADBV is where I would be concerned. 5k+ intervals should use filters with a silicone ADBV IMO.

It would be interesting to ask Purolator if their classic is okay to use for 15,000 miles as per GM's oil life monitor. I think they would say yes. But I don't think they would say it's okay to go longer than the oil life monitor with one of their better filters.

The way I see it.

1. There basic filter must meet manufacturers minimum capability which could equal 15,000 miles.

2. They want to sell a more expensive filter but they do not want to go out on a limb and exceed the engine manufacturer's limits. Hence confusing/contradictory marketing.

Of course, any filter can be used for 15k miles, it shouldn't disintegrate before then. If it gets full, then it bypasses. As long as the element doesn't tear. I see Purolators 3k mile recommendation as 3k miles, OR follow mfgs interval. I read this to mean if the mfg says less than 3k. Otherwise they don't need to say 3k in the first place. They can't uphold any mfg in the worlds interval on their cheapest filter. Purolator says they think it will safely last 3k, and they make the thing. If the Classic is rated for any mileage, then why do they have higher models and the mileage rating keeps going up. There is no need to make a higher model.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I see Purolators 3k mile recommendation as 3k miles, OR follow mfgs interval. I read this to mean if the mfg says less than 3k. Otherwise they don't need to say 3k in the first place.

They don't say "which ever one comes first". It's a simple OR statement, which means if the manufacture says to change the filter at 10K, then that over-rides Purolator's 3K statement.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
....They don't say "which ever one comes first". It's a simple OR statement, which means if the manufacture says to change the filter at 10K, then that over-rides Purolator's 3K statement.

crackmeup2.gif
Zee they need to make this a sticky! All in favor? Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye......And the Ayes have it.

Honestly started to post the same thing earlier, but figured WTH Zee will get to it sooner or later.
cheers3.gif

It's Deja vu all over again and again and again.....

Update: Purolator responded with a letter Friday Dec.19th.

The gist of which is..

Physical inspection found areas of the media with holes in it. This could occur when the filter reaches or exceeds it's contaminant holding capacity. Performance testing could not be completed but in summary the analysis found the filter to be free of defects in materials and workmanship.

In Purolator's defense, the filter was in the engine for 6 months and 9,900 miles. This took the car's oil life monitor down past zero to negative 20. I run this interval based on UOA and I'm using better oils than the oil life monitor is programed for. It is also possible, the oil filter bypass valve [built into the engine] is not functioning properly and not going into bypass during cold starts.

Wait a second.. I remember some pictures of NEW PUROLATORS Classics and even PUREONES that were NEW and had tears / holes in the filter.. So if the filter is new how could that happen..

Seems to me they are spinning it and blaming the customer..

Thats weak to do IMO.

I don't buy that the tearing issue as widespread.
I have cut-open 2 Purolator filters (PL14459 and L14476) and will post on this site soon. I also have a new unused PL14610 that I'm contemplating to cut open. I hate to waste it especially that I'm not convince of the tearing issues.

Originally Posted By: filb14
I have cut-open 2 Purolator filters (PL14459 and L14476) and will post on this site soon. I also have a new unused PL14610 that I'm contemplating to cut open. I hate to waste it especially that I'm not convince of the tearing issues.

Don't bother cutting it open as the tearing occurs at some point during usage, not when the filter is brand new.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Don't bother cutting it open as the tearing occurs at some point during usage, not when the filter is brand new.

Okay then... You will be surprised with L14476 then. I just posted it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._12#Post3573270

Don't know what your definition of "widespread" is ... but lots of members know by now that it's prevalent enough to be leery of Purolators, especially certain model numbers.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
....They don't say "which ever one comes first". It's a simple OR statement, which means if the manufacture says to change the filter at 10K, then that over-rides Purolator's 3K statement.

crackmeup2.gif
Zee they need to make this a sticky! All in favor? Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye Aye......And the Ayes have it.

Honestly started to post the same thing earlier, but figured WTH Zee will get to it sooner or later.
cheers3.gif

It's Deja vu all over again and again and again.....

Yeah, don't know how many ways people can interpret that Purolator use statement ... it's kind of amazing what some of the translations are.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Okay then... You will be surprised with L14476 then. I just posted it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._12#Post3573270

That's one of the better ones I've seen cut open after 12k.

Not saying all Purolators tear, but the number of filters that do is somewhat alarming.

I really really want to see Purolators fix this problem as I was a regular user of their filters until the tearing issue came to light, but it appears there is a lot of CYA in its response (or lack thereof).

I think anything short of a rebranding will cause me to take my business elsewhere.

Once again I have pulled a Purolator classic from my car full of holes. 4,700 miles.

In Purolator's defense, this could be the result of a faulty oil filter bypass valve. This valve in in the oil filter cap and has just been replaced.

Photos to come.

Once again I have pulled a Purolator classic from my car full of holes. 4,700 miles.

In Purolator's defense, this could be the result of a faulty oil filter bypass valve. This valve in in the oil filter cap and has just been replaced.

Photos to come.

"This valve in in the oil filter cap ..."

Cartridge filter I assume?

This could be because your running a classic 4.7k miles...if you want an extended OCI then step up to a pureone or synthetic. Use the right tool for the right job!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back