Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
This could be because your running a classic 4.7k miles...if you want an extended OCI then step up to a pureone or synthetic. Use the right tool for the right job!
thumbsup2.gif

Need some hamburger helper with the tenderized horse meat?
18.gif
crackmeup2.gif

^^ As Shakespear said, "Truth is truth to the end of reckoning."

And Purolator said their filters can be used for the period recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^ As Shakespear said, "Truth is truth to the end of reckoning."

And Purolator said their filters can be used for the period recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
wink.gif

Speaking of beating a dead horse...not this argument again!

18.gif
38.gif

^^^ It's not an argument ... except to the few that don't understand written words by Purolator themselves.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: aa1986
That's still true. They can.

They just didn't tell you that restriction would go down with use.

Restriction would go down?

^^^ It's not an argument ... except to the few that don't understand written words by Purolator themselves.
grin.gif

The only one that cannot seem to understand the terms of their use is you Z06. Everyone else understands what it means.
33.gif

^^^ You're just trolling now. Or ... well, I better not say.
wink.gif

Oh, I got you now ... tearing media will definitely reduce the flow restriction.

That's still true. They can.

Restriction would go down?

Once the hole appears.

Then it must be the other reason you don't get the Purolator use statement.

In the words of this generation "puhlease." Your the only one that doesn't get the terms of service, otherwise you wouldn't be having tears. Ive said it before and Ill say it again; tired of tears? STOP RUNNING CLASSICS MORE THAN 3K MILES. Period. End of story. The final word in filtration.

But Im not biting anymore. I just got back off of the naughty list, Im not going back on for hurting anyone elses feelings...for now....
hooked.gif

^^^ You are trolling, because anyone can understand the following statement doesn't mean change the oil filter at 3K miles because no car built after about 1995 recommends 3K oil changes. You're the only one who doesn't understand the terms of service in Purolator's own words.

"Purolator oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

If the vehicle manufacture's service interval says 10K miles, then the part in red over-rides the first part of the statement. Not rocket science by any means.
wink.gif

I can see it that way too. Based on the notion they can't possibly support any companies recommendation as there is no means to test. I also see it as meaning 3k, that's the limit, or if the manufacturer says less. I see it your way too, but then there is no need to specify 3k at all, just say change according to your manufacturer. They make the filter, they say 3k, depending on conditions, which also makes it vague as H.

^^^ You are trolling, because anyone can understand the following statement doesn't mean change the oil filter at 3K miles because no car built after about 1995 recommends 3K oil changes. You're the only one who doesn't understand the terms of service in Purolator's own words.

"Purolator oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

If the vehicle manufacture's service interval says 10K miles, then the part in red over-rides the first part of the statement. Not rocket science by any means.
wink.gif

Just to add:

They make a classic for my dads Audi. 10k OCIs.

They make a classic for my GF's Volvo. 7.5k OCIs.

My Jeep has an engine developed in the late 1700s (lol). The normal service interval is 6k. (yes.. 6k on an SL oil)

Lets not forget all the cars they make a classic for that have OLM's (10k plus at times)

There were a few filter tears at around 3k too so its hard to blame excessive use.

Ill say it again: I cut open a virgin Mopar that was pre-waved. Many seem to think the waves are linked to the media tears. Whether it is or not, installing a pre-waved filter on a car isn't helping the situation.

This could be because your running a classic 4.7k miles...if you want an extended OCI then step up to a pureone or synthetic. Use the right tool for the right job!
thumbsup2.gif

I cant tell whether you are serious or not. 4.7k miles is certainly not an "extended OCI". If a filter cant last that long without suffering failure it shouldn't even be sold, it's junk.

...and, even Purolator should understand that almost nobody changes an oil filter in the middle of an OCI.
Any reasonable person would expect an oil filter used in an application for which the filter maker's catalog recommends it to last for the equipment maker's specified OCI.
There has clearly been a media failure problem with both white cans and P1s.
DIY oil changers represent only a tiny segment of the car owning population. BITOG members represent a tiny subset of that segment. BITOG members using Purolators represent only a slice of the membership and those cutting their used filters open an even tinier subset.
Given this, even if half of the photo documented media failures were caused by careless tool use in cutting the cans, the remainder seems to be a pretty significant number out of what would have to be only a miniscule subset of the population of whites cans and P1s in service.
This is an entirely different matter from the fear-mongering involved in Fram's use of fiber endcaps.
What's the failure rate?
I have no idea, but we can safely conclude that there is a real problem, one that we can all easily avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back