Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again I'll ask this question, of any member here!
Are the Purolator model numbers being found tore, basically those that begin with the number 1?

I have Pure One filters that begin with the model number 2. Are they most likely OK?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Are the Purolator model numbers being found tore, basically those that begin with the number 1?

I have Pure One filters that begin with the model number 2. Are they most likely OK?

No. Of the 60 or so reported media tears on BITOG alone, most are units beginning with "1" but that might be because there are more filter labeled that way. Here is the breakdown. "2" models and "3" models are not safe.

Failures by model type
14610 13
10241 11
14459 8
14460 5
20195 5
12222 2
14006 2
24651 3
10111 2
14477 1
24011 1
25247 1
25288 2
30001 1

here is the thread if you want to take a peek

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360799/List_of_Purolator_failures

Last edited:

all of them are safe, use with confidence.

I dont know of any engines visibly damaged by those filters but im sure there was some added wear when the filter tears.. How much added wear i don't know. I don't think the fram salesmen have anything to do with it. The only filter that fram makes that i have used in over 10 years is the ultra which seems to be a nice filter although in my mind the jury is still out on the flow rates of the ultra. The only reason i even tried the ultra is because i don't buy the filters that tear anymore. Not for my engines or the ones we rebuild it would not look good because everyone seems to know about the tearing issues.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
The only filter that fram makes that i have used in over 10 years is the ultra which seems to be a nice filter although in my mind the jury is still out on the flow rates of the ultra.

If flows better than most on market ... don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

No. Of the 60 or so reported media tears on BITOG alone, most are units beginning with "1" but that might be because there are more filter labeled that way. Here is the breakdown. "2" models and "3" models are not safe.

Failures by model type
14610 13
10241 11
14459 8
14460 5
20195 5
12222 2
14006 2
24651 3
10111 2
14477 1
24011 1
25247 1
25288 2
30001 1

here is the thread if you want to take a peek

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360799/List_of_Purolator_failures

Sad! The 3 filters that I use are the top 3 with the most tears! But, I have cut open every single one of them after each OCI and...NO TEARS! I am very fortunate thus far!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^ Sounds like you are very lucky and should go buy a lottery ticket.

LOL!
I did buy alottery ticket. NO LUCK!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Purolator media tears are a big non-issue except to the FRAM salesmen here.

LoL ... wow, you really believe that when 95%+ of guys here who used Purolators have switched brands.
eek.gif

Congratulations on your success!!!

We should have cake and punch now...

LoL ... wow, you really believe that when 95%+ of guys here who used Purolators have switched brands.
eek.gif

You have no way of proving that 95% of people have turned to other brands. Stop making up numbers and join the fram salesman!

Its safe to say not many people have faith in Purolator made (*oil) filters anymore. Who knows on the numbers, but after looking at posts in this thread, it is definitely below 50% (here).

Last edited:

Says the one who runs WIX/ Napa Gold filters!
crackmeup2.gif

The reason Purolator will not announce they fixed the problem is because they don't want a stampede of oil filter exchangers.... meaning I buy four new (fixed) oil filters, keep my receipt, then swap the contents with the four questionable filters I have at home, then return the questionably torn four to the store for a refund.

All returns sees scans of the outer box, so it;s easy to swap a bad filter for a new, good/fixed filter.

That is why Purolator will never announce anything fixed.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Its safe to say not many people have faith in Purolator made (*oil) filters anymore. Who knows on the numbers, but after looking at posts in this thread, it is definitely below 50% (here).

The Post Your Latest Oil Change thread should give you some idea of what filters the folks here are using now.

The reason Purolator will not announce they fixed the problem is because they don't want a stampede of oil filter exchangers.... meaning I buy four new (fixed) oil filters, keep my receipt, then swap the contents with the four questionable filters I have at home, then return the questionably torn four to the store for a refund.

All returns sees scans of the outer box, so it;s easy to swap a bad filter for a new, good/fixed filter.

^^ This. Only way to know for sure is for someone to buy new stock and see what happens after 5k.

Not really, how do you know if it was teared or broken in the first place?

Most people don't cut them open or do UOA

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

^^^ This is probably true. There's no way of knowing for sure what percentage of BITOG members have stopped using the non-synthetic Purolator-made oil filters (or at least have lost confidence in using them, even if they have not stopped) .... I agree with dlunblad that the percentage of people on here who still use them/still have confidence in them is most likely below 50%.

As I recently mentioned, I'm currently leaning toward not using my Classics and P1s .... There is a possibility that I might end up using one of them and then cutting it open to see if it is ok. If everything is ok, then I will use the next one, and so on. But if I see a tear, then the rest will be thrown away. This is just a possible option I am considering. I have nothing against Purolator (I have used Purolator filters, as well as many other filter brands, for many years .. going back to the first vehicle I ever owned), but if I see a tear, I see no valid reason to use the remainder of my non-synthetic Purolator-made filters. There most likely wouldn't be any engine damage as a result, but if I see a tear, why would I continue to risk my engine -- even if the risk is very small. There are plenty of other quality filters to use.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

all of them are safe, use with confidence. +1

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

all of them are safe, use with confidence. +1

I never mentioned the word 'safe'. Even the tore filters are safe.

Originally Posted By: jk_636

eek.gif

You have no way of proving that 95% of people have turned to other brands. Stop making up numbers and join the fram salesman!

You have numbers saying the same amount of people are still using Purolators ... no. It's obvious there are ALOT of people on this chat board who stopped using Purolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back