Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a bit of a fantasy/hallucination to claim every filter reported here with torn media was because some guy didn't have 500 hrs of training and a certificate to correctly cut open oil filters. That claim is easily shot down, as has been seen every time that ridiculous claim comes up.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
lets keep the personal attacks to a minimum please. science speaks loudly where little to no evidence has been collected and presented, let that sink in and try again with a better argument.

Did you not see my thread of how I documented how I opened a failed filter? Might want to go search for that.

Empirical evidence (with pics) proves that there is a media failure issue happening on the pleat next to the seams. It has been documented and collaborated by dozens of users... including those in professional research fields (and have presented to the National Academies of Science and the Transportation Research Board).

Your "opened by amateurs" argument is null and void.

Also, "amateurs" have made some of biggest scientific discoveries... genetics (Mendel) and Evans (Astrophysics) If "amateurs" can spot genetic distribution and supernovals, Purolator tears are easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Wrong. An amateur can open an oil filter and its pretty much the same thing as a witch doctor analyzing chicken bones.

I also liken it to Fox Mulder in X-Files jabbing all day long and Dana Scully sits there with duct tape around her mouth.

Send the oil filter to the manufacturer for analysis, any other method is a complete waste of effort from a legal and objective standpoint.

Wrong. An amateur can open an oil filter and its pretty much the same thing as a witch doctor analyzing chicken bones.

I also liken it to Fox Mulder in X-Files jabbing all day long and Dana Scully sits there with duct tape around her mouth.

Send the oil filter to the manufacturer for analysis, any other method is a complete waste of effort from a legal and objective standpoint.

So what can these chicken-bones tell me...

aIMG_20140219_224808_907_zps81dbcd76.jpg

aIMG_20140219_224714_814_zps98bf3534.jpg

Yup, Purolator using their filter media as a bypass mechanism.

You know it is bad when people on the "interwebz" make a google spreadsheet.

Wrong. An amateur can open an oil filter and its pretty much the same thing as a witch doctor analyzing chicken bones.[...]

Doc - you are wasting your keystrokes. You can drag a horse to water and perpetually drown him, but you cannot make him drink. Stop feeding the troll...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Wrong. An amateur can open an oil filter and its pretty much the same thing as a witch doctor analyzing chicken bones.[...]

Doc - you are wasting your keystrokes. You can drag a horse to water and perpetually drown him, but you cannot make him drink. Stop feeding the troll...

I am not worried about him ...

but then again, how many hits might this site get how many times does it take for enough random internet browsing folk to find torn filters? I just have the IMG ready for those tear-deniers.

Man, these Purolator threads are a hoot. It's obvious that there's a serious problem with Purolator's manufacturing process, which results in media failures. I don't understand any of the arguments that say torn media is OK.

There's been a concern by some that some oil might make it past Fram's "leaf spring" spacer at the top of the Extra Guard filter, due to possible poor sealing. I've never seen any evidence that that could or would happen, but Purolator filters with actual HOLES are OK?

Or is it that Purolators are OK until 3,000 miles, and then self-destruct?

In any case, I hope the Purolator boosters continue posting. These threads would be much less entertaining without them.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Man, these Purolator threads are a hoot. It's obvious that there's a serious problem with Purolator's manufacturing process, which results in media failures. I don't understand any of the arguments that say torn media is OK.

There's been a concern by some that some oil might make it past Fram's "leaf spring" spacer at the top of the Extra Guard filter, due to possible poor sealing. I've never seen any evidence that that could or would happen, but Purolator filters with actual HOLES are OK?

Or is it that Purolators are OK until 3,000 miles, and then self-destruct?

The proponents argue that just because an engine hasn't blown up because of a torn Purolator, it's ok to use. It's laughable, but hey.....there are fanboys for every product out there.

Just remember, Purolators don't tear because of use. It's the people cutting them open that causes them to tear
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Stelth
In any case, I hope the Purolator boosters continue posting. These threads would be much less entertaining without them.

+1 That's what keeps me coming back. I need a good laugh after a long day at work!

Originally Posted By: sir1900
The proponents argue that just because an engine hasn't blown up because of a torn Purolator, it's ok to use. It's laughable, but hey.....there are fanboys for every product out there.

I know what you mean. I guess its psycho denial. Seen this other brands too. Just don't want to believe it and will act like OJ Simpson's lawyers when confronted with the truth.

Last edited:
Let's do another list.

Engines reported as damaged from Purolator media tears:

Crickets.....

Purolator media tears are a big non-issue except to the FRAM salesmen here.

But in spite of their efforts, the FRAM OCOD is still the ugliest girl at the prom.

Undies perform just fine with a tear in them too.

I just like the reassurance knowing that my undies are a quality product and wont tear and fail.

Who wants to wear ripped undies? Purolator boys apparently.
crackmeup2.gif

Let everyone know when you send those filters in for empirical analysis versus backyard guesswork. I enjoyed the one where they said definitively that it was ran beyond its OCI.

18.gif

Last edited:
I enjoyed the one where they said definitively that it was ran beyond its OCI.

18.gif

Wow.

What you say actually makes sense now.

Oh my goodness...are you guys still arguing over this?

1. CptBarkley you cant honestly believe that the reported tears were caused by negligent dissections from people who are "uncertified." I want to get behind you, I really do, but that argument is just ridiculous.

2. We have argued over the warranty statemenet 1,000,000,000,000 times. It says 3k or OEM spec, and should be viewed as whichever comes F I R S T. The majority of these filter failures would stop if you cheapo "gentleman" would stop trying to make a $3 Puroclassic run longer than it was designed to.

3. Purolator filters tear? Im still not convinced. I use A LOT of filters. And they are all (but one) Purolator. I change oil at 3k, 7k, etc. depending on vehicle, and I have NEVER seen a tear. There is nothing keeping unscrupoulus characters from just damaging an otherwise fine filter and posting it on the interwebs as a "failure." I dont think anyone here would do this, but stranger things have happened.

4. If you haven't made up your mind by now, you either dont use Purolator or just dont care. This ENTIRE thread is a waste of time (unless you love to argue) and we should really move on to something more constructive.

Originally Posted By: jk_636

1. CptBarkley you cant honestly believe that the reported tears were caused by negligent dissections from people who are "uncertified." I want to get behind you, I really do, but that argument is just ridiculous.

2. We have argued over the warranty statemenet 1,000,000,000,000 times. It says 3k or OEM spec, and should be viewed as whichever comes F I R S T. The majority of these filter failures would stop if you cheapo "gentleman" would stop trying to make a $3 Puroclassic run longer than it was designed to

3. Purolator filters tear? Im still not convinced. I use A LOT of filters. And they are all (but one) Purolator. I change oil at 3k, 7k, etc. depending on vehicle, and I have NEVER seen a tear. There is nothing keeping unscrupoulus characters from just damaging an otherwise fine filter and posting it on the interwebs as a "failure." I dont think anyone here would do this, but stranger things have happened.

4. If you haven't made up your mind by now, you either dont use Purolator or just dont care. This ENTIRE thread is a waste of time (unless you love to argue) and we should really move on to something more constructive.

No where on the box does it state how many miles the filter can be used for. But regardless, we've seen a torn filter even after an OCI of less than 3k so it appears the product can't even meet it minimum "stated" guideline of 3 or 5k or whatever this imaginary number is. Check out the Bosch thread.

aIMG_20140219_224808_907_zps81dbcd76.jpg

The chicken bones say that no amount of voodoo will fix this problem. Maybe they have a witch doctor at Purolator that is using voodoo. LoL
grin.gif

I am not worried about him ...

but then again, how many hits might this site get how many times does it take for enough random internet browsing folk to find torn filters? I just have the IMG ready for those tear-deniers.

Actually the trolls who believe it's some kind of hoax or everyone tears the media when cutting open the filter just keep adding fuel to the fire, and therefor there is more and more for Google searches to hit on.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Purolator media tears are a big non-issue except to the FRAM salesmen here.

LoL ... wow, you really believe that when 95%+ of guys here who used Purolators have switched brands.
eek.gif

Amazing you even said that ... you might be coming around after all.

2. We have argued over the warranty statemenet 1,000,000,000,000 times. It says 3k or OEM spec, and should be viewed as whichever comes F I R S T. The majority of these filter failures would stop if you cheapo "gentleman" would stop trying to make a $3 Puroclassic run longer than it was designed to.

Purolator's statement does not say "which ever comes first" ... so the way it is written it's one or the other and the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance recommendations would over-ride the 3K/3mo statement unless there was no vehicle manufacture's statement or it was less than 3K/3mo.

Be sure to post up that torn filter when you cut it open.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back