Anyone keep loaf of bread bread in fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lady of the house insists bread stays fresher in the fridge. I have seen some go past the best before date and not get stale.
Is the bread box a leftover from the past years of Ice Boxes? They were not dry places for food like bread.

Bread mold grows slower at low temps. Room temp is probably ideal for fast mold growth.

Of course most bread-like products in the US are so loaded with various chemicals/preservatives, that even in room temp it takes a while for mold to grow.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Of course most bread-like products in the US are so loaded with various chemicals/preservatives, that even in room temp it takes a while for mold to grow.
That's for sure. If you buy "fresh" bread it'll get mold within a week. The commercial loaves will set on the counter for months.

I've had some bread in the fridge for a good 3 weeks now and it's still fresh as ever. Try doing that at room temperature.

I don't like it cold or frozen,seems to take the freshness and softness out of it. We only buy just enough of it that it gets eaten up right away or soon thereafter.

It takes me a while to go through a loaf so my bread usually stays in the fridge. Lasts pretty long.

Only drawback is it will dry out from the lack of humidity.

If I don't use it within a week (branded bread) or three days (fresh baked) I put it in the fridge. I bring it to room temp "low and slow" in the microwave wrapped in a damp paper towel. At that point you can heat it in a toaster oven if you want a bit of crispness.

I don't use much bread so I developed methods to keep is usable for long periods of time.

We don't put ours in the fridge. Of all places, we keep it in the microwave. One of our cats has a strange obsession with chewing on plastic bags, so if we leave it out on the counter he will chew holes in it.

Bread is cheap and easily obtainable. So if there's any bread thats past it's prime in my house, it gets tossed and replenished with a fresh loaf. Guys, a loaf of store brand white is .99 and a loaf of cheap rye is $2.19.
mbrayf.jpg

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Bread is cheap and easily obtainable. So if there's any bread thats past it's prime in my house, it gets tossed and replenished with a fresh loaf. Guys, a loaf of store brand white is .99 and a loaf of cheap rye is $2.19.

Fine, but why be wasteful?

I either keep it in the freezer of fridge. Lately the regular bread I've been let sit in the fridge. Two weeks and it still is fresh.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Fine, but why be wasteful?

Bingo. For me the cost of bread is inconsequential but I got tired of throwing away moldy half loaves.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: CT8
Which way is the proper way to install the roll of toilet paper?

http://www.businessinsider.com/patent-shows-right-way-to-hang-toilet-paper-2015-3

The original patent is for "over".

I feel the need to reply to this most serious of topics. We have "normal" sized toilet paper holders. We buy Costco brand double (triple?) sized rolls. They work fine, when new, being pulled from the bottom in our holders. Put them in "over" and each square tears off individually due to the extra friction. Even toilet paper has evolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back