Anyone have some information on the new Mobil 1 Super-syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are laboratory tests, run by labs paid by the individual companies. It appears that they almost balance out, but the real test is running them and getting an analysis done. Will the slightly poorer HTHS overcome the slightly better NOACK? Probably depends greatly on the application.

Hey dudes I make money selling that kind of reproducable test data. Heres a Redline 10w-30 comparison to wet the appetite.

HTHS or ASTM D 4742 3.48

Noack less than 7%

HTHS on the Schaeffer 7000 blend 5w-30 is 3.5 and costs 1/2 of the oils listed.
NOACK 8.5% their #'s

Heck HTHS on Exxon 10w-30 superflo SL NON syn is 3.2 you can get it for .89 a quart in 5 qt jugs. volatility is not as good as the others though.

Good old trend analysis on your car with your oil periodically is still the best way to figure out how your lube program is working for you. Sharing data here with each other is a great opportunity to get a good look at comparable engines/oil combo's.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:

Mobil 1 SuperSyn
5W30 test results.
HTHS >3.0.
NOACK < 6.5
TBN > 11.0
10W30
HTHS > 3.2
NOACK < 6.0
TBN > 11.0

VaderSS (or can I call you Darth),

Others have posted the Noack as above 8 for both. Do you trust the rep that gave you the info?

JJ

Originally she told me that it, "met minimum specs for all of it's ratings," I said, "Maam, with all due respect, I'm a customer, not another oil company, I've been using your oil for 15 years. She then gave me those specs. Do I trust her..., well we've seen how trustworthy reps can be.

Oh, and it's Wayne, Darth's my Daddy.(The ads used to say, "It's not your father's car, unless he's Darth Vader.")
grin.gif

1996 Impala SS BBB (Big Bad Black)

[ July 30, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I found this in the analysis section and thought it might help in the topic:
This was posted by
GeorgeCLS
Member # 213

Mobil's reason for reformulation was for performance upgrade. As I shared in previous posts, the "sypersyn" formulation is for real, having been developed years ago, sat on a shelf gathering dust until one of the assigned racing lube engineer's ran into a bearing life/film strength problem. ie. bearings were failing in the race engine and the engine builders were blaming Mobil 1. He had a batch made up with this particular molecule blend and the problem not only went away but the weak component lived better than the previous strong design. So, by fluke rather than design, the supersyn (don't know where they get those names) was formulation is an evolutionary improvement in Mobil 1's performance. Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 are Mobil's flagship and they are going to do everything possible to keep them one generation ahead of the other major synthetics such as the Castrol/Valvoline/Quaker States of the world..

[ August 10, 2002, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

FWIW I read that engine oils containing a large quantity of 1-decene homopolymers are PAOs...

and Quaker STate's line of synthetic motor oils contain the 1-decene.

I am glad this was brought back to the top. Even the Pennzoil 10/30 has has the same HTHS as the Mobil.Just the TBN and cold cP pressures don't compare and I soppose the SS has other qualities that out does the Pennzoil in some applications as well
The Shaeffers Supreme is truly a good oil on paper and in analysis and the price is very reasonable,not advertising Sheaffers here as everyone knows I have not used the oil yet but am calling Tim Mills today because it is time to change oil in the Miata,,I want to try this oil for myself because it seems to be the best oil for the money and the Cp's of even the 10/30 is much better than dino 5/30's which we all have learned to love because of the VII improvers
frown.gif

"FWIW I read that engine oils containing a large quantity of 1-decene homopolymers are PAOs...and Quaker STate's line of synthetic motor oils contain the 1-decene. "

Decene is the starting molecule derived from ethylene and the homopolymers are the linked molecules that form PAO's. This PAO is the most common.

Mobil and other companies such as Ethyl have developed advanced PAO's of various viscosities.

If the oil contains a large portion of PAO (approx. 60-75%) and a small amount of esters (10-20%), then the oil is most likely a full synth.

I've noticed the past two weeks (since oil change) that the rattling/tapping noise my Windstar engine makes with RPM's 3K to 5K is gone.

The oil is SS 5w30. A contributing factor was an Auto-Rx cleaning less than 3.5K miles ago.

May have something to do with Moly in SS 5w30 or the newer, slightly thicker, esters.

My next change is to Schaeffer Blend 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back