Anyone have some information on the new Mobil 1 Super-syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
Has anyone run a 4 ball on the new Mobil 1s? I know it's not the best benchmark, but I wonder if it does better than the Tri-Synthetics.

More than anything, what I want to see is before and after oil analysis results, which are a more accurate way to determine engine wear.

I'll have to wait a while in my case, as I just put in a fresh batch of TriSynthetic 5w30 in my wife's Honda a few weeks ago. I will run that to 5k, sample it, then go to the new SuperSyn, and run that to 5k. It might take a while though, as my wife only drives about 150 miles a week right now (although once she's off maternity leave at the end of the summer, she'll be driving 200-250 a week)

I'd like to see that too, but I still have 6000 miles before I pull the tri out of my Impala. I had very good results running tri in a 93 Ciera 3.3 V6 with an 11k interval. At 160k, I gave it to my grandmother and the engine is still good as new. I'm pretty sure the Supersyn will do well with a 8k interval in this car, but I'd like to see the data...

My answer to that one whould be that both the 0-40 and 15-50 were already robust enough to meet Euro. specs where the 5-30 and 10-30 were previously just not up to snuff...
>>

The 5W-30 and 10W-30 still do not meet any of the Mercedes oil specs. In the latest Mercedes oil list, there is a specific warning about Mobil 1 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30. They are not recommended because they do not meet either 229.1 and 229.3.

Bo

loubapache: still, just guessing, but

15w-50 -- higher pour point PAO base stock relatively unaffected by supersyn addition

0w-40 -- special case, pour point depressants possibly overriding any pour point increase from supersyn

JTC

I'm just theorizing, but from a paper I read in Feb. 2001, I think Mobil's new polyol esters are probably TME (Trimethylol Ethane) instead of TMP (Trimethylol Propane).

They add a carboxylic acid which adds thermal/oxidative stability to the oil.

dickwells:

There are quite a few NA oils that meet the Mercedes oil specs.

Some synthetic examples are:

Mobil 1 0W-40 and 15W-50
Castrol Syntec 10W-40 and 5W-50
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Havoline Synthetic 5W-40
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40
Kendall GT-1 FullSynth 5W-40
Pennzoil Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Quaker State Synthetic Euro 5W-40

Bo

Just posted a clean sample of the supersyn 15w-50 for all to see under a new oil analysis thread.

Boy, thats a mind blower. You could have taken my money that Castrol Syntech 5W50 could be rated above Mobil 1 5&10W30 oils. Makes me wonder about the validity of the MB rating systems or specs. RW

The Tri-Synthetic 15W-50 did meet Mercedes 229.1 (but not 229.3).

You could have taken my money that Castrol Syntech 5W50 could be rated above Mobil 1 5&10W30 oils. Makes me wonder about the validity of the MB rating systems or specs.
>>
I guess we cannot judge an oil just by its base stock. Do you have results showing Syntec 5W-50 is an inferior oil? Do engines fail by using it?

One of the reasons why many xW-30 oils fail to meet the Mercedes oil specs is that they are too thin at 100 deg C and, especially at 150 deg C. But there are some 5W-30 or even 0W-30 that meet the specs. Example of these oils are

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30
Havoline Synthetic DS 0W-30
Valvoline Synpower MXL 0W-30
BP/Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30

Bo

[ June 13, 2002, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: loubapache ]

loubapache

Do you have information as to what exactly are Mercedes specs? What's the difference b/w 229.1 and 229.3, or any of the other MB specifications. Someone mentioned that they were even "tougher" than ACEA A3 specs. It would be nice to know which specs are the most stringent and meant for gasoline engines as well.

BTW Amsoil 10W-30 meets MB 229.1 and 229.3.

Steve:

I have not seen the details of the Mercedes 229.1 and 229.3 specs.

I believe the diffference between the two is that the oils meeting the 229.3 can have extended drain intervals.

Bo

Off hand, the Mobil 0-40 and 15-50 meets specs. and I saw Quaker State European Formula 5-40 synthetic at another M-B dealership.

Vader,

The volatility looks good, but for a supposedly improved oil, the
High Temp High Shear should have been better than 3.5 for the 10W30.

Terry/Anyone -

Do you have any data from other oils to compare to the stats Vader provided for M1?

I got this info from 1-800-ASKMOBIL, a few weeks ago, I had to sit on the line for quite a while, so someone elso can get other info if they want, I was just interested in these oils at the time.

Mobil 1 SuperSyn
5W30 test results.
HTHS >3.0.
NOACK < 6.5
TBN > 11.0
10W30
HTHS > 3.2
NOACK < 6.0
TBN > 11.0

Amsoil Specs
5W30 test results.
HTHS >3.5
NOACK < 6.9
TBN > 11.0
10W30
HTHS > 3.5
NOACK < 6.6
TBN > 12.2

Series 3000 5W30 Diesel
HTHS >3.5
NOACK < 8.6
TBN > 12.0

Thanks Vader. To the uneducated masses like myself, there does not seem to be a significant difference between AMSOIL and Mobil 1, correct???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back