Anyone done extended OCI on PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
There are meds you can take for your OCD. seriously

Yes, but they're only about 75% effective tops.
grin2.gif

I run 10K OCIs using PP 5w-20 on my RSX. 5 Qt. Jug is $20 at Wally's. Anything less than the Honda recommended 10K changes and I'd use conventional.

I work at a BMW dealership and we use PP 5W30...most cars that come in for oil changes have between 15-20K miles on the oil..Internally the majority of the motors i've seen are surprisingly clean...

7500 on my Subaru, normally aspirated, mostly highway, with Pennzoil Platinum, was BORING and the oil analysis seemed to suggest it could go much longer very easily.

More and more, I'm liking what I hear about PP. I picked up a 5 quart jug of 5W-20 at China Mart today for the CRV. Think I'll stop again soon, and get a 5 quart jug of 5W-30 for the 4Runner.

Here is a UOA showing two ~10K OCI's w/PP, and one ~10K w/M1
(TBN's listed TOC)
PP 5w-20 vs M1 5w-20

I feel completely confident that PP 5w-20 will work as intended with 10-12K OCI's.
And when price is factored in, I see no other choice.

I run the stuff for 6,7,8 K in 5W20 and/or 10W30 from the Home Depot giveaway, but my OCI doesn't even darken the oil substantially in that mileage. 1.6 DOHC's don't hurt the oil, and my OCI is determined via convenience rather than miles. Another 2000 miles wouldn't hurt, but then I'd be under the car in a cold garage in December. No thanks, a little earlier OCI at this end of winter, and a little longer at the other end works for me somehow.

Well, one sure way to get the longer drain types out of the closet is to say that only Honda drivers have the 'nads to do a decent length OCI
LOL.gif
How come you guys don't show up when the chicken littles are expressing their fear?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jaybird
Here is a UOA showing two ~10K OCI's w/PP, and one ~10K w/M1
(TBN's listed TOC)
PP 5w-20 vs M1 5w-20

I feel completely confident that PP 5w-20 will work as intended with 10-12K OCI's.
And when price is factored in, I see no other choice.

What filter are you using?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, one sure way to get the longer drain types out of the closet is to say that only Honda drivers have the 'nads to do a decent length OCI
LOL.gif
How come you guys don't show up when the chicken littles are expressing their fear?
grin2.gif

Hey, I'm all OVER it. 3K OCI's are a crime. double-three times that on these GroupIII syns is a minimum, assuming I can excuse my own personal convenience factor. Furthermore, in the filter department, an even bigger crime is the 3K Filter Change Interval (FCI). In the PremiumPlus/PureOne/Wix/NapaGold realm, and especially a pricey piece like an Amsoil, changing these things out before 2 long OCI is a bigger waste than the 3K OCI. There is no way these are loading up before 10-15K. I've cut em open at 3K, 5K, 10K, there's just no difference in the media, they flow hot immediately as the engine heats up, and their disposal at 3 or even 7.5K is an utter waste. The plastic E-core, center tube filters, sure, dump em, but in a good filter, especially Wix/PureOnes etc, in standard-issue factory-engined passenger cars? Run em two long OCI.

Then of course, the "filters are cheap, my engine is expensive" crowd will come out, but we already know what they know, which ain't much.

Caveat Caveat Caveat!

The above assumes a vehicle not driven exclusively stop and go severe service, of course. But even then the filter opinion remains the same..

I run PP 5w-30 in a 119,000 mile GMC Sierra Pick-up.

This truck gets run hard pulling boats in summer heat, hauling loads of wood, running in super cold weather (0 to 30 Below).

I run 8k OCI's with it and no issues, no excessive darkness of the oil & no oil usage. I never add a drop in 8k, it's still at the full line !!!!
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

I run PP 7500-10,000mi in my Civic depending on the conditions I drive in. During stop and go I keep it around 7500, but if a lot of the miles are highway I run it 10,000mi, heck that is what the manual recommends for dino. I also only change filters once every other change (running PureOnes I got from Amazon for like $2.50/filter). The Accord goes 10,000mi regardless because the K24 has shown itself to be ridiculously easy on oil.

Jon

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toytundranator
What filter are you using?

NAPA Gold (wix)

Last edited:
"Yes, you are probably right but I am a highly anal rententive overly compulsive detail oriented high math type and need to check my OLM every 45 seconds while driving. Once my OLM drops below 50% I break out in a cold sweat and begin to plan my next oil change."

Hey, wait a minute, that sounds like me ...

Ahhhhhh, yes. The first step to recovery is admitting you have an "OCI" problem!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I work at a BMW dealership and we use PP 5W30...most cars that come in for oil changes have between 15-20K miles on the oil..Internally the majority of the motors i've seen are surprisingly clean...

Yeah, but I want to avoid having to take my motor apart...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
"Yes, you are probably right but I am a highly anal rententive overly compulsive detail oriented high math type and need to check my OLM every 45 seconds while driving. Once my OLM drops below 50% I break out in a cold sweat and begin to plan my next oil change."

Hey, wait a minute, that sounds like me ...

Ahhhhhh, yes. The first step to recovery is admitting you have an "OCI" problem!
wink.gif

Yeah, I know.....but now my OLM is at 98% and it could drop to zero at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back