Anyone adding collision coverage to their daily driver beater?

And if you call up State Farm and say "uninsure it" what happens?
State Farm notifies the DMV and if your registration stays in effect you can get a flag on your license and have to pay a penalty . I don't know of the timetable for it , but we traded in a vehicle and cancelled the insurance . The dealer sat on the paperwork and my license got flagged . I was able to prove what happened and it worked out ok

'registration' goes w/plates (& excise tax) in MA. We can do anything we want w/plates now (mail back, throw in trash, etc).
When we say "Done" it is, rebates thru our own efforts, good luck on partial yr.

Insurance, same. A lill easier to recoup (I pay my 500$ yr all at once for savings, U can pay monthly). You DO hafta insur to register but they are not tied togeter when a vehicle sits idle (U have to be active in closing each, seeking refund). One can have a vehicle that is registered but not insured. One can not register a vehicle w/o insurance. Capiche`?

I’m at the point where I’m contemplating dropping all but basic coverage on my wife’s and my daily drivers. Problem is, mine is a 2016, and her’s is a 2012 Mercedes. I toy with this every year, and every year I wait, the more money I lose. I probably would save $1,000 bucks a year, maybe more. But is that worth chancing?

Usually I don’t hesitate and I take that chance, and I save. I’m actually at the point where I’m considering removing fire and theft too. I’ve never had a vehicle catch on fire in all the years I’ve been driving, and not had one even close to being stolen. I’m rarely ever in a high crime area. And most vehicles that do get stolen come back with throw up in the back seat and a broken window and some wiring damage. I don’t think anyone would really want to steal a Toyota Avalon anyway.

I always carry comprehensive coverage on beaters, mainly for glass and deer damage. Whack a bambi and it's totaled at least you get more than scrap. Windshield replacement to get through state inspections.
Insurance, you don't need it until you need it. Comprehensive coverage is cheap, most folks spend way more yearly on barley pops and they get wizzed out an hour later.

I carry liability and comp only so no collision coverage on 3/5 vehicles I have ('13 Focus, '08 RX350, and the '03 Passat). My insurance with 2 younger drivers is so much money I just have to save where I can. On an older car at some point it's just not worth the little bit of payout you would get. For the Passat, considering doing Hagerty for a guaranteed value policy since it's worth quite a bit more than the insurance will value it. I have done liability only on other vehicle, my '00 Jetta was only wroth may be $2K and at that point again, not worth it.

I always carry comprehensive coverage on beaters, mainly for glass and deer damage. Whack a bambi and it's totaled at least you get more than scrap. Windshield replacement to get through state inspections.
Insurance, you don't need it until you need it. Comprehensive coverage is cheap, most folks spend way more yearly on barley pops and they get wizzed out an hour later.
Yes, comp is cheap, collision is not and that's the one that's can be worth dropping on older/low value vehicles.

Anyone adding collision insurance coverage to their daily driver beater?

I recently added collision to my daily driver beater, a 2005 MB S500 salvaged titled with 217k miles. The cost for a replacement beater could easily be 3k-7k, in today's market. I drove it the past four years with liability only.

Not sure if it is a good move, but if my beat up and tired S500 gets taken on as a result of my own doing, I will have the ability to replace it at today's very high used car prices, without breaking the savings account.
I'm seriously looking at that for my neon as Colorado seems to have alot of uninsured drivers. A cashier at Walmart told me she was hit by an illegal immigrant who was wanted on Felonies in Mexico. She's fighting as the insurance company doesn't want to pay.

Ok, I actually did a full look at my auto policy based on this and added collision back to the Ford and Lexus. They are worth enough to justify the premium increase which wasn't as much as I thought/remember when I did this analysis a while ago. A few $'00 a year to cover a $5K and $8K vehicle is probably worth it. I also dropped my W8 off and picked up a Hagerty gauaranteed value policy - $10K coverage vs. the basically zero I had before with a normal liabiliy/comp policy that I was paying $600 a year for...now I'm at a grand a year but at least I can get some of what I have into it back....it's worth about $10K or so at this point. I have quite a bit more into it but $!0K is an ok value for me if I totalled it. Plus, if someone else hits me now I have a company that can go to bat with the other insurance for the actual value vs. the insurance value I would likely get with my regular policy.

Reactions: GON
We typically self insure when possible (when I don't have a loan) and replacement would not be a hardship. Have not had comp or collision in some time, though our non-beater is a 2013 Cruze which would probably be in the beater class or close to it for some. Carry 250/500 liability which is needed for our umbrella.

My 12yo Mazda with 183k still has collision on it. It’s fairly inexpensive to keep collision on it and comparable cars are selling for $6000+ in today’s crazy car market. Makes sense to keep it.

I added collision to all of my vehicles after my mother got hit by an uninsured motorist and we wound up out a car. Its a couple hundred bucks a year to know that I will get something for a vehicle if something happens.

I'm seriously looking at that for my neon as Colorado seems to have alot of uninsured drivers. A cashier at Walmart told me she was hit by an illegal immigrant who was wanted on Felonies in Mexico. She's fighting as the insurance company doesn't want to pay.
Uninsured is separate from collision here in VA.

Still not adding collision, not sure it’s “wise”—one’s 20 years old, the other’s 23. The 23 year old one is my daily, 25k/year, it’d hurt to replace I guess, but that doesn’t mean the money spent adding collision will actually get me that much for its replacement in the unlikely event of totaling it. At least that’s what I am assuming?

Still not adding collision, not sure it’s “wise”—one’s 20 years old, the other’s 23. The 23 year old one is my daily, 25k/year, it’d hurt to replace I guess, but that doesn’t mean the money spent adding collision will actually get me that much for its replacement in the unlikely event of totaling it. At least that’s what I am assuming?
That's how I approach it. At some point you are self-insured and less your deductible a grand or so at most on a beater/older vehicle isn't worth the '00s a year in premium. Just a math problem really.

Back