Anyone adding collision coverage to their daily driver beater?

I wouldn’t assume anything. My brother has State Farm and has had a salvage title on his Jeep since 2015. When it’s down for repairs or he just isn’t using it much, he uninsures it. This last month he asked them to reinstate it, but they added the same coverages to it as his truck which included full coverage. He had to ask them to remove it since it has a salvage title.
+1

Never assume anything with insurance companies. There could be some fine print somewhere or language in the policy stating they don't offer that for salvage vehicles, then if something happens they deny coverage even though you have been paying for it all along. I've seen coverage completely denied after wrecks for much less.

I have USAA. Everything is done on-line. I don't tell them its salvage, but I am fully confidant their systems know and identifies this when I placed the car on the policy, and late added collision.
I highly doubt it. Most companies will not provide collision coverage for a salvage vehicles due to the lack of industry-standard direction for valuing these vehicles.

I highly doubt it. Most companies will not provide collision coverage for a salvage vehicles due to the lack of industry-standard direction for valuing these vehicles.
USAA has taken my $$$$ for collision coverage on salvage vehicles for years, never once a question or concern.

May be a good idea with the high trade in values due to shortage of vehicles and rising costs for parts . The '18 Hyundai Accent SE w/ 6 speed auto is valued over $15,000 at KBB . We paid a little over that when new . Before the pandemic it was hovering around $10,000 .

Last edited:
Have not filed/ had a insurance claim in decades.
You might want to have a conversation with them on how a salvaged vehicle will be valued in the event of a loss. Otherwise you might be paying premium for something you cannot collect on.

I can assure you that the insurance company I work for would not know if a vehicle is salvaged unless we were informed upfront.

Was thinking about dropping it on my 08 Lucerne but from what I can find it's worth almost as much as I paid for it 4 years ago, so replacing it would be a hardship for me so I'll keep it fully insured for a while longer. As others have said it's not that much more, maybe $400 a year.

Our 2008 and 2010 Civic just have liability and glass coverage. The 2012 Odyssey has full coverage.

My dad owned a body shop for a long time so fixing some damage wouldn't be a big deal.

Not sure how much the coverage costs per year however personally I could handle a $3k-$5k loss easily $6k+ would sting but not ruin me.

What is the risk and reward for you?

we have collision on one car while the other has not; i'm working on removing full coverage on my Accord as well; I don't think I needed it; to me insurances policies are the rip off

I have USAA. Everything is done on-line. I don't tell them its salvage, but I am fully confidant their systems know and identifies this when I placed the car on the policy, and late added collision.
I asked Usaa a few years ago, they told me they didn’t care if it was clean or salvage, they insure them for their customers. I was considering a salvaged vehicle. As long as it passed inspection, they were good for it. That was a cpl years ago…

I keep full coverage. The best thing that could happen is that someone plow into me or a tree falls on my car. I’ve had it listed for months and no one wants it. Yet others are selling for 3x what I’m asking.

my partner has an ‘11 focus that got smoked when someone ran a stop sign. Got 5k for the car and it has 170k on it. That was 4 years ago. I’m due for some luck if it weren’t for my defensive driving skills and cat like reflexes!

I asked Usaa a few years ago, they told me they didn’t care if it was clean or salvage, they insure them for their customers. I was considering a salvaged vehicle. As long as it passed inspection, they were good for it. That was a cpl years ago…
That still doesn't answer the question as to how the value is determined in the event of a total loss. Is it the same as a "clean title" vehicle? Did you specifically ask that question?

That still doesn't answer the question as to how the value is determined in the event of a total loss. Is it the same as a "clean title" vehicle? Did you specifically ask that question?
That, I don’t recall if I asked that or not. For some reason I’m left thinking it was same value, but truly don’t know.

My coverage on 2 daily drivers. One is 29, the other 14 years old:

Screenshot_20211123-212731.jpg

Back