Anybody recommend a bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, no on Wells Fargo. Just no... Drove us away as a customer several years ago, and they aren't getting me back.

Second, try a credit union. Love both of them I am a member of. Great rates, easy to understand fees and rules. Happy to have your business and not pushy.

Third, stop making major purchases on your debit card. Get a credit card and most of your issues with the bank freezing purchases to protect your bank account go away. Pay it off every month. I had similar problems with my bank at the time and large purchases on my debit card. Use a credit card and that tends to go away. Fraud protection is still active, but it doesn't cripple your access to cash/bank accounts when it happens.

I have a Chase CC. Got denied when I broke down far from home. The 4th or 5th charge from Nowheresville, VA triggered their fraud warning, and I couldn't buy $200 worth of car parts.

The annoyance is they know your (home) phone number so they call that when you're on the road. Probably solvable by getting text alerts.

You sound like you're using a debit card though and could go with a credit card, maybe from a different bank to spread your luck around.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have a Chase CC. Got denied when I broke down far from home. The 4th or 5th charge from Nowheresville, VA triggered their fraud warning, and I couldn't buy $200 worth of car parts.

The annoyance is they know your (home) phone number so they call that when you're on the road. Probably solvable by getting text alerts.

You sound like you're using a debit card though and could go with a credit card, maybe from a different bank to spread your luck around.

Note to anyone that travels with a credit/debit card: Inform your bank of your travel plans. You should be able to do it online.

If you are an illegal and send money back home and want help to take advantage of various welfare programs her then the bank of choice is Bank of America. They take care of currency conversion at favorable rates and they have several government sponsored programs to aid illegals with no requirements for documentation.

A local Credit Union (CU) is great... CUs are nonprofit (the profits go to the members, meaning you). If you want an online Credit Union, Alliant CU is great (more in network ATMs than Wells Fargo, and you can use ANY ATM for free up to $20/month).

https://www.alliantcreditunion.com/Applications/eligibility/Employer
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/alliant-cu.html

You can deposit checks online with a PC scanner or smartphone. ACH transfers are super fast (often 1 day). One of the highest savings rates in the country. Awesome service.

And anyone can join.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Past 35 years with credit union.

+1: I'll second "your local credit union".

+1 here, skip the banks

Nick we ditched BOA a year ago, started getting fees and the branch here looks to be abandoned by corporate. Went to National Bank of Az and have been pleased. Credit union west has a killer debit card that pays 3% if you meet some easy monthly conditions. Numerous branches in Phx.

A family member has had Arizona Federal Credit Union for years with no issues.

They've got 15 locations in Phoenix and quite a bit of ATMs.

I think I'll go that route.

Thanks for the help guys!

Avoid all the Too Big To Fail banks that are carrying $TRILLIONs in otc derivatives on their balance sheets. Your accounts might just be part of the next bail in.

JPMorgan Chase, Citi, BoA, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, and Wells Fargo. Most anyone else is fine.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Note to anyone that travels with a credit/debit card: Inform your bank of your travel plans. You should be able to do it online.

Yes. Call credit card company and say you are going on vacation from ___ to ___.

Yes. Call credit card company and say you are going on vacation from ___ to ___.
That's what's funny. When I've been out of state, no problems. When I'm a couple miles from my house, declined!

Was able to sign up for an Arizona Federal Credit Union account online.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
+1 on the Credit Union recommendation... I was burnt numerous times when Bank of America was Nations Bank.
I've been with a local credit union for over 18 years and have never had an issue.

LOL, I had issues with Nations also.
I joined a credit union at my job and have been happy ever since. Bought a house, refinanced the house, financed 4 cars, and 2 personal loans in the past 20 years with them.
I have changed employers twice since then but have stuck with them.

Nuts to that! My cash doesn't care where I spend it. Why do I need "dad's permission?"

Besides, I used that CC for a plane ticket and various gas/ food stops; you'd think they'd figure it out.

I solved the problem by using actual cash but I had other backup cards as well and access to my account at a nationwide semi-evil bank.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Wells Fargo Advisors.

With a $1,000,000.00+ portfolio I get 'free' checking.

You serious or kidding ?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm sick of Chase, have had them for over 6 years and I keep getting declined for large purchases, plenty of money in my account to buy them.

There has to be more to the story than that...oh, I see:

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm in the midst of building up my credit, so my limit on my Bank of America credit card is only $400 currently.

I'm with Chase on this one; debit is direct access to your money. With credit, a fraudulent transaction sucks, but you take no immediate financial hit. Looking at the entire picture, it's very easy to see why they'd flag these purchases.

Why are you only getting $400 limit on one card?
Why aren't you using a prepaid credit card?
Why have you been using a debit card to make these large purchases (instead of straight-up cash)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back