Bank Question

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Incident.

I wrote myself out a check from a Delaware bank I use.

I cashed it at my local bank in Maryland.

One hour later the manager from the Maryland bank calls me and tells me this is a
courtesy call. Can we do anything for you? We have a new President of the bank and we are
offering more services etc. I know her on a first name basis but she never called before.

Question is...
Can the bank see the amount of money in your other accounts that are not with them?
In this case my Delaware bank account.
Not a big deal but just wondering. Thanks

No. My guess is she saw you had an account elsewhere and wanted additional business/new accounts with you. Which improves their performance numbers with upper management. Another thing I can see happening is if the manager called to verify funds in the account and the other person made a remark along the lines of oh yeah he has plenty in there to cover it.

Last edited:
Incident.

One hour later the manager from the Maryland bank calls me and tells me this is a
courtesy call. Can we do anything for you? We have a new President of the bank and we are
offering more services etc. I know her on a first name basis but she never called before.

Question is...
Can the bank see the amount of money in your other accounts that are not with them?
No.

Banks want their customers to use them for everything. So in this case it's obvious that you have an account at another bank so they wanted to see if they could fulfill a need for you that the Delaware bank may/may not be doing as well as you'd like.

No.

Banks want their customers to use them for everything. So in this case it's obvious that you have an account at another bank so they wanted to see if they could fulfill a need for you that the Delaware bank may/may not be doing as well as you'd like.
Very likely this.

I had a similar situation. I opened a checking account at a local bank during a promotion they were running and soon after I started receiving calls asking if I was considering buying a house, refinancing, or opening a HELOC. In fact, last week I went to deposit a check and the teller made it a point to mention a promotion they were running on auto loans. I think it's more needing to hit performance numbers for new accounts vs anything nefarious.

How big was the check you cashed. if it was for several hundred or >1000 then they figure you are rich and want to get that money into their hands so they can shake your money tree. :)

I have had things like this happen as well and wonder if they can do a soft pull on the credit report to see if you have a 750+ rating. then they will be in you like flies on ......

How big was the check you cashed. if it was for several hundred or >1000 then they figure you are rich and want to get that money into their hands so they can shake your money tree. :)

I have had things like this happen as well and wonder if they can do a soft pull on the credit report to see if you have a 750+ rating. then they will be in you like flies on ......
It was only $600 but the account it came from was healthy
I already have 6 accounts with the MD bank but I agree with all of the above.

Maybe it was just coincidence. My local bank branch was calling me numerous times recently and left messages to call back. Finally I did call back and she told me they are just contacting customers to let them know the branches are open and if there is anything I need help on. No particular reason. They do want you back in the branches as it costs to keep them open and already walk in business is down.

Got me wondering, can a bank employee look at any account of yours without your permission? I don’t think so. When a check is deposited I think there is an automated system that can look at a balance available of another account. I know I have deposited checks and asked the teller why there is a hold sometimes. She said it just tells her. It’s done electronically. Permission to access your account is calling, logging in, or going to the bank. All require your identification in order to access your accounts. Ask your bank teller about it. I bet they say it was random calling..

Got me wondering, can a bank employee look at any account of yours without your permission? I don’t think so. When a check is deposited I think there is an automated system that can look at a balance available of another account. I know I have deposited checks and asked the teller why there is a hold sometimes. She said it just tells her. It’s done electronically. Permission to access your account is calling, logging in, or going to the bank. All require your identification in order to access your accounts. Ask your bank teller about it. I bet they say it was random calling..
My ex sister in-law would tell my brother all the family accounts she snooped in and she had accurate numbers.
A cousin of mine did the same thing to me. When you go there you are dead to me....
I know many do it and I know they can get fired for it. I'm sure it goes on.

My ex sister in-law would tell my brother all the family accounts she snooped in and she had accurate numbers.
A cousin of mine did the same thing to me. When you go there you are dead to me....
That's not surprising, doesn't take much to look up an account. The banks I use do the same thing, especially when you deposit a large amount. They get disappointed when I tell them I'm just moving the money to Fidelity. I basically just use the local branch for their ATMs and the occasional free bank check so I go there so I can say I know the bank manager.

That would tick me off, i would report that, and if nothing was done about it, switch banks.

I'm thinking of switching banks due to their name change.
If a bank changed its name , and it was really stupid sounding, would that make you want to switch?

Last edited:
Incident.

Question is...
No but they can see the checks that you write from the Delaware account. They can not see balances, deposits and withdrawals but can see the scans of the actual paper checks you write out of that account.

How did you find out she was looking at balances of your relatives ?

No but they can see the checks that you write from the Delaware account. They can not see balances, deposits and withdrawals but can see the scans of the actual paper checks you write out of that account.
Thanks..
Do you mean all written checks or just the ones they cashed or deposited.

Thanks..
Do you mean all written checks or just the ones they cashed or deposited.
All written checks are in a shared data base among banks. This allows banks to verify signatures, handwriting, even view previous checks written from the non customer account to see if something is out of character with the check of the non account holder. A LOT of fraud and counterfeit checks are detected this way and it protects the public. Think about what would happen to the banking system if anyone can print up a check with a valid account number and write it out for any amount and if there would be no way for a bank to check previous written checks. This even goes for other banks bank checks, business checks, the list is endless. There would be chaos if banks could not check.

Also keep in mind, checks are cleared through a system, clearing house, everything is scanned, everything on a written check is viewable. All your private account information is only available to your bank. But again, ALL written checks from ANY account are viewable by any bank in order to protect the public, the banks and businesses.

If you are curious, you should just go to your bank and ask why you were called. I doubt very much someone was using the data base to look up your non account checking. I dont even think that would be legal but what do I know.
I suspect a banker, doing his job picked up on you also having an account at another bank and gave a call to see if he/she could help you and maybe get more of your business, bankers are required to make a certain percentage of calls to existing customers per week.

Last edited:
It's likely that most bank employees would have access to customer accounts. However each access is logged and kept for many years. An employee who could not justify why they accessed a certain account when questioned would probably be terminated.

Back