Anybody know something about man lifts?

I'm with you. Just trying to get a better picture. The biggest A-frame step ladder I use at work is 20ft. We have 12footers and some horrifically long/heavy/bulky fiberglass extension ladders as well that we use regularly. They do take two dudes to setup. I'm not strong enough. The A-frames are very sturdy to be on.
I’m not sure that a 12-20 fit a frame ladder is all that practical for one person to move or handle, and if I was going way up high, I’d probably want a spotter holding the ladder.

If a second person is involved if much rather have them help set up a scaffold and be able to walk around.

I’m not sure that a 12-20 fit a frame ladder is all that practical for one person to move or handle, and if I was going way up high, I’d probably want a spotter holding the ladder.

If a second person is involved if much rather have them help set up a scaffold and be able to walk around.
You're right. He'd probably have quite the time getting someone to work with him.

I'm kidding!

i used to do a lot of stage lighting in various theaters. 16’ or more all the time. I’ve used a large wooden a-frame on wheels, which was my least favorite. We had a mechanical “cherry picker” ladder which put the man in a basket, which rolled around and honestly wasn’t that bad. Swinging it up and down, was where fingers got hurt badly. Finally, we bought an electric genie lift, which I *loved*. I’ve used several by now, and the large ones are 40-50 feet up. It’s a little eerie because they do sway a little as you get higher, but I’ve not known of any trouble with them.

A brand new 12' bakers scaffold from home depot can be had right now for $699 and it has all of the pieces to make working at that height safe. I know that assembling it and climbing up and down would be a pain, but those lifts in your price range are in questionable condition and neither one has the outriggers. I wouldn't get in one of those without the outriggers. Saving a few dollars isn't worth your life.

Thanks for tip. Just ordered one for $699, less $50 for applying for a HD credit card I'll never use. Like that I can move it between properties in the back of a truck or van, not on a trailer I don't have.

Thanks for tip. Just ordered one for $699, less $50 for applying for a HD credit card I'll never use. Like that I can move it between properties in the back of a truck or van, not on a trailer I don't have.
You're welcome. I've used those for years and they work well. Pay attention to the manufacturer's instructions and always use the outriggers above 6' high. Lots of people get away with not using the outriggers, but don't bet your life that you will be one.

Posting an update. The scaffold isn't for me. Setting up for one level is ok, but assembling a second level on top of that isn't going to happen, not to mention climbing up on the outside and trying to step onto the top platform. So today I bid and and won this JLG vertical lift. It's small and light enough to be taken apart and fit in a pickup or van. The scissor and man lifts I have been looking at would require a utility trailer to move around and have been selling for $1000 - $2500. Anyone know about this model? Only concern is the 40v Li battery. It takes two and they cost $400 each from JLG.

Well, It's over a $1100.00 here:

Screenshot 2023-04-07 104043.jpg

Yes, I got it on sale and an additional $50 off for applying for a HD card. Will put it up for sale as never used, and expect to make a few bucks on it as well.

Sold the above scaffold system yesterday for $750. $101 more than I paid for it. Bought the verticle lift in #46 for $630 with all the fees. They even tossed in 5 extra used batteries which cost nearly $400 each new.
Looks like a real solid piece of equipment. Can two guys lift it? I guess a landscape trailer with a ramp rear gate and some boards would probably work to move it around with one person.

We had a one man lift at work and it was considerably handier than a ladder if a job required going up and down several times. The AC battery charger had a pass-through which provided a 120v receptacle in the basket which was nice prior to battery tools. It had extendable outriggers on the base for added stability. It got over-abused by coworkers who ripped off the outriggers, removed mast guarding, and generally trashed it. if you can limit access it might be a good investment.

I've seen a lot of those little lifts in schools around here. JLG makes good equipment, looks like a great purchase to me.

Back