Anybody know something about man lifts?

One of my buildings has 16 foot ceilings and I need to replace the 8' tube light bulbs. That's too high for a ladder. Been thinking of buying a man lift. This looks great as it can be transported on a trailer hitch,

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1231414244115085/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:e2f4f29b-298d-4971-8b41-4e4e08847673

but I don't see any used ones for sale and that is way more than the $2000 max I want to spend. Something like these would be ideal if they were closer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1099655427386594/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:2db2e9ad-5485-4fe3-b4ed-c0a2f4f420ae
or
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/693257142335102?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:12448675-82df-4693-b839-b3410efa9dba

Any other choices in that price range I should consider?

Last edited:
16' is too high for a ladder? You must be really short or I'm missing something...

They also make wheel around dual-shelf scaffolds which double as storage/shelves when you're not using them. If I set the top platform to max height, it's around 12' walking surface on mine. If I needed to go up a little further than that, I'd use a stepstool on the platform (shh! don't tell OSHA), it's that stable. Doesn't take up much space either. Probably cost a lot less than a man lift.

Last edited:
My ladder is 8' per section so it may reach out 15' max for one thing. And I ain't standing on a shaky ladder that high anyway.
Get those inexpensive man lifts up that high and I think you'll find it's just as shaky as a ladder-- only with the confidence it won't fall over if you make a bad move and that there's cage around it :)

Scaffolding on wheels is cheap and useful to have around, if it can get under your lights? A good 15' step ladder would be pretty solid as well, but I realize not everyone likes ladders.

I can’t believe a rental is that high. I was going to suggest a little electric JLG scissor lift.

I am not a fan of 16’ step ladders personally.

I would look for a used scissor lift if the flooring is concrete.
I have but they are priced ridiculously. I could buy a bucket truck for half these prices.

Yes if I'm more comfortable on it, and way cheaper than months in a hospital and rehab if you fall off a shaky 18 inch wide ladder.
If it’s that worrisome, why not spend a few hundred on an electrician and pay them to install new LED fixtures? Last forever. One time expense, nothing to keep or maintain.

It cost me less than $500 to get new three new fixtures installed in my garage - which is double height - so, similar to your situation.

Leave the climbing to the professional. Never worry about changing bulbs again.

Or, spend several thousand on a one time use piece of equipment that you’ll have to store.

A brand new 12' bakers scaffold from home depot can be had right now for $699 and it has all of the pieces to make working at that height safe. I know that assembling it and climbing up and down would be a pain, but those lifts in your price range are in questionable condition and neither one has the outriggers. I wouldn't get in one of those without the outriggers. Saving a few dollars isn't worth your life.

I would have a contractor who specializes in re-lighting come in and put decent quality LED fixtures or retrofit kits in and be done for 10+ years.

You are making a mountain out of molehill AND wanting to live in the 1990's. You will likely pay for the upgrade in less than 24 months with energy savings.

I also highly advise to have the lighting calcs at least spot checked by an electrical engineer so that you don't hire the cheapest contractor who comes in and puts up "like for like" and you flip the switch and it looks like the Sun is now in your rooms....

Just some thoughts from experience.

If it’s that worrisome, why not spend a few hundred on an electrician and pay them to install new LED fixtures? Last forever. One time expense, nothing to keep or maintain.

It cost me less than $500 to get new three new fixtures installed in my garage - which is double height - so, similar to your situation.

Leave the climbing to the professional. Never worry about changing bulbs again.

Or, spend several thousand on a one time use piece of equipment that you’ll have to store.
I AM installing LED bulbs. And it wouldn't be a one time use piece of equipment. There is a gas heater on the ceiling. A loft storage space. I'd rather spend more money on a tool that I can use again and again.

Back