Any reason to not use Advics pads over OEM Toyota?

In my continuous mission to slowly restore my 2000 Camry, I’m now at the brakes after overhauling the entire suspension with OEM parts. I know (from recent experience) that OEM suppliers spec a lot of their parts specifically for Toyota so sometimes their offerings under their own name can be slightly different in design. The OEM pads I’ve looked at in person at my local Toyota dealership has “advics” engraved on the back of the pads.

Any reason why not to run non-Toyota brand Advics?

Thanks all.

As always, never go by brand name and instead know what compound you are choosing. Every pad manufacturer makes a variety of compounds

Yes agreed. What I can’t find info on is if the Advics brand uses different pad material vs. the Toyota Advics supplied pads.. I would like to stick with whatever came from factory

Reactions: hrv
What is the price difference? :unsure:

The aftermarket pads might be different than the OE pads, but it probably doesn't matter that much.

Since you have a Toyota, heed this warning: Toyota sells both actual OE pads, the actual pads that came from the factory, as well as a lower line of pads called TCMC :sneaky:

The TCMC value line probably is the same as aftermarket or very very close, so double check the part numbers if you decide on OEM Toyota pads from the dealer.

What is the price difference? :unsure:

The aftermarket pads might be different than the OE pads, but it probably doesn't matter that much.

Since you have a Toyota, heed this warning: Toyota sells both actual OE pads, the actual pads that came from the factory, as well as a lower line of pads called TCMC :sneaky:

The TCMC value line probably is the same as aftermarket or very very close, so double check the part numbers if you decide on OEM Toyota pads from the dealer.

Thanks for reminding me about the value line!

The Advics brand is roughly $20’ish dollars cheaper per set (front and rear) than OEM Toyota. The non-value line pads are I think $60 for the front. I would’ve like to kept my rotors as well but they’re are original and also there are high spots..

Try emailing them about the difference from Toyota oem. I had a question about their rotor coatings and someone knowledgeable got back to me quickly.

The non value line Toyota pads are worth the extra cost to me, but not to most people.

The aftermarket Advics work fine and will not require purchasing a shim kit.

I’m on board with you there.. The non-value line means my over hyper senses won’t hear any weird noises from the brakes lol

I've never had an OE pad replacement. Have used Textar, Axxis, Raybestos, Centric, Bendix, AA and AZ branded and probably several more. Differences were amount of dust on the wheels and price.

I've never had an OE pad replacement. Have used Textar, Axxis, Raybestos, Centric, Bendix, AA and AZ branded and probably several more. Differences were amount of dust on the wheels and price.

I used to love Textar pads on my old E46

I have Advics pads on my parent’s LS430. They seem to work fine. I had to put some more brake lube between the pads and shims a while ago though.

I am convinced that Toyota OEM pads and rotors are the best. The 2007 Camry hybrid I had were only 50% gone at 170kmi, and my 2012 Camry SE I had to finally had to replace at 140kmi and smooth the whole time.

That’s one of the driving factors as to why I am sticking with non-TCMC OEM pads as well

Toyota parts has 20% off sales every couple of months, sometimes just for a weekend. Also, the free shipping over $75 seems permanent. Keep checking your ”participating“ Toyota dealers. Feb is often a sale month. I got pads for my 4Runner comparable to aftermarket prices, but no shims unfortunately.

Back