Toyota OEM 90915-YZZD1 C&P, 2957 miles

I find with their nitrile ADBV's they rattle on startup.....
If that is a reference to the Toyota OEM Thia Denso made spin on, the black adbv on the 90915-YZZD3 has been burn test proven to be silicone. It's currently the only black adbv proven to silicone.

In contrast to that, the Denso First Time Fit (FTF) made in China with black adbv has been proven to be nitrile. That despite what their website still claims.

I did. This is from an older oil change; the oil & filter were removed in June 2023. Yeah, I had a classic BITOG frankenbrew. Castrol 5w20 EP; Castrol GTX 20w50; and some HPL EC 40 grade. I went hog wild on a walmart pricing error and scored 45 quarts of 20 grade oil--right before I realized that thin oil was causing/allowing consumption in my three vehicles, so I've been using up the 20 grade while thickening it with 50 grade oil. When all my 20 grade is used up, I'll switch permanently--for all my vehicles--to a single 40 grade offering that either offers the best cleaning ability, or limits consumption the most, or whatever.

The PH3600 that went on is the EG. Was, I guess. I have TG3600s currently on both my Highlander & Sienna now. If they don't look any better than the EG3600s that I've seen lately, I'll try another brand, or probably scale back to one oil filter for one OCI. Right now I'm using the TG to see if I can take them to 10K miles or close to.

Great photos. I know I’m a bit slow, so do you have some 20w50 and HPL in sump? The 3600 you have on vehicle is it a tough guard or extra guard? Thank You for detailed and great cut and post sir 🍺🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦

I did. This is from an older oil change; the oil & filter were removed in June 2023. Yeah, I had a classic BITOG frankenbrew. Castrol 5w20 EP; Castrol GTX 20w50; and some HPL EC 40 grade. I went hog wild on a walmart pricing error and scored 45 quarts of 20 grade oil--right before I realized that thin oil was causing/allowing consumption in my three vehicles, so I've been using up the 20 grade while thickening it with 50 grade oil. When all my 20 grade is used up, I'll switch permanently--for all my vehicles--to a single 40 grade offering that either offers the best cleaning ability, or limits consumption the most, or whatever.

The PH3600 that went on is the EG. Was, I guess. I have TG3600s currently on both my Highlander & Sienna now. If they don't look any better than the EG3600s that I've seen lately, I'll try another brand, or probably scale back to one oil filter for one OCI. Right now I'm using the TG to see if I can take them to 10K miles or close to.

Very good friend. Thank You for all the additional info. I appreciate it

The last TG I had on my 3mz I ran to 8.5k and it tore at the base

Yeah, the 3614 is the one that Fram speccs for my Highlander & Sienna; the reason why I am using the 3600 in those two vehicles is that there have been more than one 3614, even the TG, have tears or other deformities. The 3600 has more pleats, so it usually looks better.

The last TG I had on my 3mz I ran to 8.5k and it tore at the base

If that is a reference to the Toyota OEM Thia Denso made spin on, the black adbv on the 90915-YZZD3 has been burn test proven to be silicone. It's currently the only black adbv proven to silicone.
Just saying that's been my experience on more than one OEM Toyota made in Thailand oil filter.

Just saying that's been my experience on more than one OEM Toyota made in Thailand oil filter.
Understood the rattle complaint. I was just pointing out that the Toyota Thai Denso black adbv has burn tested as silicone, not "nitrile" as stated. 'Fwiw', first time I can recall reading a complaint about a startup rattle using the Toyota Thai Denso OEM filter.

Fwiw', first time I can recall reading a complaint about a startup rattle using the Toyota Thai Denso OEM filter.
Well, that's why I switched to the Fram Ultra. When the rattle was going on I initially believed it was the oil control valve solenoid. When the Fram eliminated the noise for good I was relieved it wasn't the oil control valve but the ADBV. I mean it was literally two years with that Ultra installed, that's quite a few hot/cold cycles it went through. Cheers

Last edited:
Back