Toyota OEM 90915-YZZD1 C&P, 2957 miles

This was on my car from Jan through June of 2023.

This OEM filter came off my Highlander in last month’s oil & filter change. And Stude53, I know you’re about to ask: out went this filter and Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w20; in went a 60/40 blend of Castrol GTX 20w50 and Castrol Edge EP 5w20—plus, 0.8 quarts of HPL EC 40 grade, with a Fram PH3600. The 60/40 blend was because I want to see what a 40 grade will do with oil consumption (I have been running 20 for the last few years, and I have a nice stash of Castrol 20 grade that I want to plow through); the HPL EC is also there to see if it can aid in oil consumption by cleaning out deposits in the piston area. We’ll see.

I have seen enough C&Ps of Toyota OEM filters not to be surprised by the quality I saw here. But I wanted to cut this open, to get a good look at any carbon deposits in the pleats. I saw a few isolated flecks, but nothing other than that. The reason why I unfolded the pleats was that in 2000 miles, I’ll cut open the Fram and see what 2000 miles of HPL EC will do, and I can see what the HPL EC is cleaning out of my engine. I had to work really hard with a box cutter, to separate the filter media from the two plastic end pieces that serve as endcaps in Toyota’s OEM filters.

I have no idea what the Denso date code means, so I won’t speculate. I did buy it at the local Toyota dealer a couple of years ago. The black silicone ADVB was nice and supple.

Normally I go longer on my oil & filter changes, but I wanted to start the HPL EC process ASAP so I decided to drain the oil when I did, and then get a look at my last pre-HPL EC filter.

1688490732002.png

2.jpg
3A (2).jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
20230704_085906.jpg
20230704_085908.jpg
20230704_085920.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Highlander is an 06, in my sig.

Here is one more pic. The ones above, with the pleats unfolded, looked in the pics like there were bits of gunk in the bottom/valley of the pleats. There really isn't that much. I extended one of them to show how little debris there was.
20230704_101630.jpg

Toyota OE filters are quite good, if and when you buy at a fair price

Why not up it to the -D3 for more capacity?
I put a 400s/3600 length on my 3MZ during it's HPL EC run, although so far I don't think the dirt I feared is materializing 🤷‍♂️

As I said, I have a 3600 on it now.

I haven't looked into OEM filters for oversizing, just Frams. I see no reason to oversize OEM, as they are quite solidly put together. I only use a 3600 (instead of the specced 3614) because the 3600 usually has a lot more pleats, and is less liable to tearing. I have seen a couple of 3614s that had tears. But the OEM filters really don't have that problem, so I just stick with the originally specced filter.

Well actually that's a good problem to have, if you think about it. :)

Have you done a C&P here for it, or is the filter still on the engine?

I put a 400s/3600 length on my 3MZ during it's HPL EC run, although so far I don't think the dirt I feared is materializing 🤷‍♂️

Must be an old Highlander lol. The D1 replaced the G2 last year but I think it’s been out for a couple years. Doesn’t look too bad.
Not really, the D and G series filters were made concurrently, the D and G just came from different suppliers. The D filters are made by Denso and the G filters came from Fram I "think". But you are correct in that at dealers now they are back to only selling the D filters.

Not really, the D and G series filters were made concurrently, the D and G just came from different suppliers. The D filters are made by Denso and the G filters came from Fram I "think". But you are correct in that at dealers now they are back to only selling the D filters.
I did a search but I must not be searching the right stuff. How do I determine if I have a D or G, and is there much difference - besides manufacturing location?

The G supersedes the D, they no longer list the D1 as compatible for my 1MZ-FE and now only list the G2, it is even in the parts stores system that it is superseded.

The G supersedes the D, they no longer list the D1 as compatible for my 1MZ-FE and now only list the G2, it is even in the parts stores system that it is superseded.
The G2 was a Purolator made filter and was discontinued and replaced by the Denso made D1.
I work at a Toyota dealer and the G2 disappeared the tail end of last year.

In my opinion, the Denso made filter is better quality. We saw occasional base gasket seepage or leaks from the G2. The D1 Denso made filter has a p ring gasket and we haven't had one leak yet.

The G2 was a Purolator made filter and was discontinued and replaced by the Denso made D1.
I work at a Toyota dealer and the G2 disappeared the tail end of last year.

In my opinion, the Denso made filter is better quality. We saw occasional base gasket seepage or leaks from the G2. The D1 Denso made filter has a p ring gasket and we haven't had one leak yet.
It is my understanding the G2 took over the D1 because they now say the D1 is no longer compatible with my 1MZ-FE while the G2 is and the parts stores show the G2 supersedes the D1.

I would appreciate if you actually could look this up in the parts department at the dealer to confirm in regards to the 1MZ-FE

EDIT: Just looked up through the Toyota website and you are correct, D1 is the replacement for G2.

Last edited:

I find with their nitrile ADBV's they rattle on startup. Got tired of the rattling so I switched to Fram Ultra, problem solved even when having run that same filter for two years.

This was on my car from Jan through June of 2023.

This OEM filter came off my Highlander in last month’s oil & filter change. And Stude53, I know you’re about to ask: out went this filter and Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w20; in went a 60/40 blend of Castrol GTX 20w50 and Castrol Edge EP 5w20—plus, 0.8 quarts of HPL EC 40 grade, with a Fram PH3600. The 60/40 blend was because I want to see what a 40 grade will do with oil consumption (I have been running 20 for the last few years, and I have a nice stash of Castrol 20 grade that I want to plow through); the HPL EC is also there to see if it can aid in oil consumption by cleaning out deposits in the piston area. We’ll see.

I have seen enough C&Ps of Toyota OEM filters not to be surprised by the quality I saw here. But I wanted to cut this open, to get a good look at any carbon deposits in the pleats. I saw a few isolated flecks, but nothing other than that. The reason why I unfolded the pleats was that in 2000 miles, I’ll cut open the Fram and see what 2000 miles of HPL EC will do, and I can see what the HPL EC is cleaning out of my engine. I had to work really hard with a box cutter, to separate the filter media from the two plastic end pieces that serve as endcaps in Toyota’s OEM filters.

I have no idea what the Denso date code means, so I won’t speculate. I did buy it at the local Toyota dealer a couple of years ago. The black silicone ADVB was nice and supple.

Normally I go longer on my oil & filter changes, but I wanted to start the HPL EC process ASAP so I decided to drain the oil when I did, and then get a look at my last pre-HPL EC filter.

View attachment 164883

View attachment 164882View attachment 164871View attachment 164872View attachment 164873View attachment 164874View attachment 164875View attachment 164876View attachment 164877View attachment 164869

Great photos. I know I’m a bit slow, so do you have some 20w50 and HPL in sump? The 3600 you have on vehicle is it a tough guard or extra guard? Thank You for detailed and great cut and post sir 🍺🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦

Back