Any reason to not Auto-Rx a jetta 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what Ive read on this forum the response to it is overwhelmingly positive. The car has 60K on it and was allowed to go 10K between oil changes 3 times with dino oil. I'd like to minimize any sludge/damage to the engine. Any thoughts.

On the flip-side. How would several very short intervals with dino do? I'm a bit hesitant to go the synthetic route after reading about leaking seals on vehicles with some mileage after the switch.

I wouldn't worry about synthetics causing seal leaks. My car didn't start leaking with synthetics, it only started leaking with Auto-RX.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I started synths on 1 car w/ 55k miles, 1 w/ 60k miles, and 1 w/ 109k miles and never had a synth attributed leak. Actually, synth seems to (or AutoRX???) have cleared UP a leak I had when I purchased my most recent car a month ago. If you do go the short dino OCI, try delo, rotella, or delvac. I am in a similar boat as you as my latest saab was well varnished w/ a little sludge and lots of solids in the filter. It, like your car, has 60k miles. But I don't think it was far gone enough to be a huge problem. Like you, I believe it only had a few oil changes. Whatever oil you choose, you may be wise to do a few short interval oci's in case whatever engine goo you do have starts to break loose and fill up your filter.

Yeah,
I think I'll just switch over and do a few short OCIs. I've noticed an intermittent hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear also, so I'll have em do the "sealed" transmission service while its in for the 60K service. Thanks.

You'll like the results after you use Auto-Rx. I've changed a couple of high mileage engines to synthetic with no problem. If your Jetta is a turbocharged engine, synthetic is very highly recommended to handle the heat of the turbocharger.

The transmission isn't really sealed, it just doesn't have a dipstick. The level is checked through the fill plug accessable from under the car. I'd highly recommend at least a pan drain and refill at 60k. They call it lifetime ATF, but it really isn't.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back