Any other short changers out there?

Well my wife purchased and paid off her car with her own money so I'm not about to tell her she has to walk to work. Especially considering it was -26F this morning. ...
Yeah, that is not good for the relationship.

Maybe hint at at a Bicycle or Scooter in the fair weather. Show here some vintage Italian movies :)

I go early just because it’s cheap and I work 4 miles from home while driving one of 3 cars and 3 motorcycles. I like to stick with every 2/3,000 miles. If I drove 50 miles a day I would have no problem going 3/5,000 miles.
I do the same.
Change every 3-4 months.
We barely drive enough.
Syn is so affordable now.
Kirkland x2.

As my car are used on mostly short trips up to 25 km (15mi) a day on average in cold and humid climate. i do my oil change at 2500km (1555mi) at this point. I used to stick to 10 000km (6200mi) oci when i lived another place where i the trips were a lot longer. Moved to the bigger city and i changed oci to 5000km (3100mi) due to short trips. Now i change oil at 2500km just for the fun of it, i get it so cheaply.

As my car are used on mostly short trips up to 25 km (15mi) a day on average ... Now i change oil at 2500km just for the fun of it, i get it so cheaply.
That's environmentally irresponsible. I would encourage you to rethink this wasteful practice and take up a more rewarding "pastime"

In Australia they use to push the 5000km OCI pretty hard but I think 5000 miles is about right at the maximum though with full syn.

2020 VW 1.4 Tsi: No OLM, just every 10,000 miles per the manual.
2021 Mazda3: OLM (which is set to 10,000 mile max interval)
2017 Colorado 2.8 Duramax: OLM (which winds up being around 7,500 miles)

But... I use M1 ESP in all vehicles. It's better stuff IMHO.

But who's a short changer with other fluids? I change the oil every 4 to 6k but i like to change all the other fluids every year or at the very least every other year as well. That's usually about every 20 to 30k miles.

But who's a short changer with other fluids? I change the oil every 4 to 6k but i like to change all the other fluids every year or at the very least every other year as well. That's usually about every 20 to 30k miles.
I’m guilty
Break in gear oil from Jeep (bottom) with only 3k after the 17k from Tahoe (top)
37DAE403-C853-4463-B6D5-FA0FC6C38796.jpeg

E36AA490-DDF4-41F3-B841-6422790D5B5B.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m guilty
Usually the oil coming out of the diff looks just like the new one, same with the coolant, that may be just as excessive as 3k oil changes. However gearbox/tranny fluid always comes out darker and i like to look at how much metal is caught by the magnets. When you have the luxury of having access to a lift as i did, you are more prone to do this kind of over maintenance. Now that i don't anymore, and i HATE messing with jack stands and having to be under the car, it will be every 3 years i think. My point is, as said before, if it can be enjoyable like on a sunny afternoon, with a few fresh ones and a car easy to work on, why not. But if you don't enjoy it or have to wrench in the street or in the mud or on a car that's a pain in the rear end to work on, follow what's in the manual.

I’ve pretty much just gone back to the OEM recommended 5k interval. I use synthetic so I don’t have to worry about going over that if life gets in the way (or it’s too hot in the garage).

10,000 mile intervals with synthetic oils on my out of warranty vehicles, and my engines still outlast the rest of the vehicle. I don't see the economy of investing too much maintenance unless you literally plan on keeping a vehicle forever and passing it down to your heirs.

All to their own though. I got better things to spend cash and time on. JMO.

I’ve pretty much just gone back to the OEM recommended 5k interval. I use synthetic so I don’t have to worry about going over that if life gets in the way (or it’s too hot in the garage).
Does it sound any different after changing back to OEM plan ? 👀

I'm doing 5000 mile (8K km) changes on my two FMC products for the near future as that is what is recommended and both were bought used. I will increase the OCI on my Focus once I am assured the sump is clean and relatively free of deposits...

I'm switching to a time based OCI on my wife's 2008 Liberty vs. a 6K mile OCI. Due to drastic changes in how the vehicle is used since CV-19 I will be changing the oil in May and November, until the usage pattern changes and the vehicle is driven on more frequent longer trips. I might get a UOA to see how that works.
My last change (synth dexos1 oil) was late in December, and now with only 1140 miles on the oil, the OLM tells me I have 75% life left. That's a 4500-mile OCI. Nowadays I drive my 25-mile round trip to and from work, but not much extra on the weekends, so I do about 700 miles a month instead of 900. Things will get hot here soon. Cold weather will not be an issue and the OLM's interval may lengthen. But I wonder if I should do a 5-month OCI instead of a 6.

Last edited:
Back