Any other short changers out there?

Me. I live in a very dusty environment. Air filters are restricted with less than 10k on them. My trips are usually less than 5 miles. It is either 100f+ or 25f here.

Laat oci my jeep made oil. It smelled of gas terribly due to my 2.2m commute in winter. It got changed @1900 miles.

My truck says 2500m for these conditions so I change it around that milage since it holds 2x as much oil as the jeep.

My wifes FJ goes on longer trips so I change it's oil @5000.

She needs to get a plug in E car or to walk to work. That's not a commute, and thats killer on the car.
How does she end up being so close to work? My Nice works at 1211 6th Ave at 30 Rock for FOX and use to walk to work from her apartment - but she moved out of NYC to Ct and takes the Rail now.
I have had a similar commute for the past 7 years, no issues with the Accord. I think driving easy (since not at operating temp) and keeping the oil fresh should be enough.

I calculated that in the last 12 months, I've driven roughly 400 miles! It's weird that my tank still contains petrol that I added in February last year.

The oil (0W20 Group III) got changed at 10k miles last May. I suspect it will need changing again in May 2024....

5K OCI, plus or minus. 6K limit. Any thing over about 14 months gets changed, regardless.
I have taken to swapping out the oil filter every other service.
I only use synthetic oils.

Proper maintenance isn't 'short changing'.

All the cars.... 6 month 5k mile, whichever comes 1st using synth oil and synth media filters changed every time. No sludge/crud/varnish to worry about. No oil consumption to worry about. No worn out engines, chains/guides/vvt/cams/bearings or rings/cylinders/pistons.....

If your driving style works with longer OCI's, enjoy it. Mine doesn't.

Annual OCI on all our vehicles currently. On wife's Q5 that ends up being about 7-8K miles; on my 530i - about 4K miles, on my SRT - about 1-2K miles.

Every 5k. When it rolls over a 5k/10k on the odom, I call the local shop and set up an appointment.
My wife's car lags a bit as she won't tell me it has rolled the 5k/10k.
My car has no consumption. My wife's car has a teensy bit, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 an inch off the top mark over a 5k run. Both are now over 110k miles.

In a normal year I put a little over 4k on two vehicles, 2.5 on the Lucerne and 1.5k on the Sierra and change oil every April but like most this is way down. Right now the Lucerne has 1.8k (60% OLM) and the truck is at 700 miles. I don't think going over a year is a good idea in vehicles that are short tripped and idle in cold weather to keep my a$$ warm.

Very good point about short trips and GDI turbo. These conditions will lead to fuel dilution. Its a good idea to change oil earlier than recommended if you drive under these conditions. Synthetic oil will not help.

So, the Pennzoil 3K has now moved to a bold 5K in a couple decades.

What a Brave New world!

note: my new Ford/Mazda 166HP 2L GDI NA is saying follow the Maintenance Minder or 10K/ 1 Year OCI.

After two months my Oil Life reads: 99%

Factory Fill will be coming out at around 2.5 - 3k miles / 6 months

I don't go past 5,000 miles anymore, I tried the whole extended drain thing (7,500-10,000 miles), that worked pretty good right up until around 130,000 miles. Then the oil consumption started, rings were stuck. Got worse and worse and worse, until finally at 179,000 miles it was drinking a quart every 700-1,000 miles or so. I never did try to do a piston soak...maybe I should have? But at that point I was just done.

And hey, maybe the extended drains didn't cause the excessive oil consumption, but it sure seemed like it to me.

I do 3000 on everything except the 2017 Camry which gets 5,000 since it takes synthetic. I don’t fall for that 10,000 miles oil change stuff that is because the manufacturer doesn’t care once it’s out of warranty. I’ll never change my habits for that. Now I might extend to 6 months or a year if I haven’t reached that mileage yet which I don’t in my truck or our Van. In the beetle well I do that about every 1000-2000 because it doesn’t have a filter and those things are easy to blow up if you run it a drop low.

Very good point about short trips and GDI turbo. These conditions will lead to fuel dilution. Its a good idea to change oil earlier than recommended if you drive under these conditions. Synthetic oil will not help.
I don't think every GDI TC has exhibited dilution. My VW 1.4tsi didnt indicate that at all

What are the bad actors?

I will say my tiny Ford GDI is overfuelling.

It indicates about 9-13 mpg when driven cold and daintily for a few miles.
and the car has been averaging but a horrendous 21 MPG. It is 3600lbs laden with Me and fuel

But, Still only 122 cubic inches of 4-banger fury!

I don't go past 5,000 miles anymore, I tried the whole extended drain thing (7,500-10,000 miles), that worked pretty good right up until around 130,000 miles. Then the oil consumption started, rings were stuck. Got worse and worse and worse, until finally at 179,000 miles it was drinking a quart every 700-1,000 miles or so. I never did try to do a piston soak...maybe I should have? But at that point I was just done.

And hey, maybe the extended drains didn't cause the excessive oil consumption, but it sure seemed like it to me.
Double:
Some data would help understand. This is Good information ! thouh I am sorry for your result.

What oil and engine?

Also commute length and average speed?

BTW I live just a bit North of Haverhill Mass.

Back