Any one have good luck on reman alternator or go with oem

Since gas is almost $5 . And for last few month I been pay $100-$120 a week on gas . I love my 2010 Ford F-150 platium truck but I thinking selling it . We can’t have more then 2 vehicles here . so the platinum have to go . At the same time my original ford fomoco alt went out . I want to get it running but at the same time I want the new alternator to last I will feel bad if the alternator fail only few month down the road with the new owner . But I don’t want spend $700 from ford dealer . I was thinking a $300 reman from an auto part store . Any one can tell me which brand I should go with ? Something that last 2-3 years at least

That era of Ford is particularly picky about alts. The remans charge but oftentimes the battery light on the dash stays on full time.

$700 seems absurd, have you checked Rock Auto for a Motorcraft?

Everyone always claims the auto parts place always have bad alternators. But I've used reman alternators from Advance Auto/Autozone and they've been fine. They always have a lifetime warranty. I just tell them to check the new one to make sure it's fine and they put it on their tester.

I sometimes used previously loved alternators from more reliable junkyards. Like many other parts, many yards today think their high mileage used parts are worth as much or more than new. I went to all online purchases for nearly all parts more than 20 years ago. I had both good and back luck with new Remy's some years ago. About 2 years ago I used a rebuilt Bosch 60 amp on my old '82 Dodge truck. Last one left in anyone's supply chain for that application. It's been fine so far. It replaced a still working old Car Quest branded unit preemptively. Some claim that Bosch does a bit more love on an alternator redo than most. Perhaps a new bearing rather than just brushes like some of the chain brands.

In my limited experience (two replaced alternators), OEM is the way to go. I also had a GM one rebuilt by a reputable shop many years ago, it worked fine as well.

Can you get a new Bosch alternator for it? They have 2 lines; new and rebuilt and I've always bought their new alternators. In fact both my Fords have new Bosch alternators for the last couple of years and they've been great.

The problem with ordering online is if it goes bad you have to wait, if you buy local you can have a new one in a couple hours.

I've had a lifetime from Auto Zone in my Sierra for 6 years, hope I just didn't jinx myself.

Replace the alternator with something for half. It’s a 12 year old vehicle and if it did not fail for you it would have for next owner anyway. The owner just happen to benefit this case.

Here is a recent thread that is similar:

Back