Alternator rebuild parts? '08 F150

I tore into the alternator last night. I failed to recognize the kit from the guys in Canton, OH did not include the rectifier. I double checked the pic and website description and it is supposed to have the rectifier.
20230709_155414.jpg

And the text description reads:
"Build your own reman quality alternator with new rectifier ass’y (diodes), new high quality voltage regulator, front bearing, rear bearing, slip ring, tolerance ring and dust cover."

Anyway I wound up just replacing the rear bearing and the voltage regulator. Thus far, the battery light has vanished.

My existing alternator-- which was already stickered as a reman -- had a Motorcraft voltage regulator in it, so it was almost surely retained during the "remanufacture." Also the brushes were worn into the grenade pin holes, so quite worn. I'm guessing my problem was either an original regulator that died of old age or brushes that were borderline too-short.

I guess I'll call the Canton guys next week and see what they say about the missing rectifier.

Thanks for the report. I feel kind of bad because I recommended them to you. I certainly hope they make things right by you!

Please let us know how it turns out. I'm interested because I have a couple of alternators I would like to rebuild and they are/were a leading contender for the parts.

Good Luck!

Oh and I was following their vid online for the 6G. Of course everything just taps apart for him. He doesn't even use a brass hammer or dead blow, just a ball peen IIRC (I felt better using brass)

I could NOT get the rear cover to release from the bearing. No amount of magical tapping or prying from multiple places would do it. I finally had to pull out a 3-jaw, but at least that worked.
20230709_160332.jpg

Some of his methods for bearings were crude IMO, he seems to use a 3/8" extension as a bearing driver and drift for, well, everything. But I guess you can't argue with results.....?

You could say he might have been dumbing it down for the average guy in his garage, but then for the rectifier leads I was VERY jealous of whatever super fancy "pliers" style soldering tool he had. He closed up on both sides and the solder flowed nearly immediately. Very cool, whatever that is.....

Thanks for the report. I feel kind of bad because I recommended them to you. I certainly hope they make things right by you!

Please let us know how it turns out. I'm interested because I have a couple of alternators I would like to rebuild and they are/were a leading contender for the parts.

Good Luck!
Do NOT feel bad. Not your fault. I'm curious if they'll believe me and send one out or think I'm lying and make excuses. No big deal either way.

Just to close this out, I received the rectifier today. So, they screwed up but made it right. If I had been in a hurry it would have been an inconvenience, but it worked out for me this time.

Back