02 Accord sputter once in a blue moon at start up

Once a year or longer, the 02 Accord sputters a bit at start up as if it wants to shut off. The last time it did it is probably over 18 months ago but it did it last night when my kid drove. My kid has always been to give the engine a little gas and that seem to solve the problem.

I am going to check the battery terminal and have the battery and alternator checked at AAP. The car doesn’t get driven at lot and only about 1 mile daily. Once a month or so, I take it to work 49 miles away to charge up the battery and burn off carbon or crudes. I do try to out about 5-10 miles trip in every other week to top the battery off. Battery is probably 3 years old and it’s a Kirkland battery.

Should I buy a jug of Lucas fuel cleaner to start mixing it with gas (Costco at each fuel up? And take it to work once a week to get thr Lucas do the cleaning?

Lucas is $33 for a gallon jug.

Thanks

To keep things simple, do you recall the last time you replaced the fuel filter? I would service it first and then a fat bottle of techron on a low tank of gas. If that doesnt help, then post back for next steps.

No, I don’t recall replacing fuel filter. Fuel pump is IEM too. Let me check to see tgat is a doable job by me or I’ll just lump tgat in with 5-6 other jobs as part of the 225k tube up (water pump, t belt, spark plugs, serpentine belt, maybe brake pads, etc)

I'd check the Cold IACV if it has one. It will cause something like that if its bad or out of adjustment if its adjustable. If you use an additive, use 2 bottles of Redline SI-1. Stuff works. Brand new muffler turned black with soot on the inside after I used it last summer. Also follow @cptbarkey's advice and change the fuel filter if possible. The 04's filter at 192K @ 14 years had rust coming out of the inlet.

Once a year or longer, the 02 Accord sputters a bit at start up as if it wants to shut off. The last time it did it is probably over 18 months ago but it did it last night when my kid drove. My kid has always been to give the engine a little gas and that seem to solve the problem.

I am going to check the battery terminal and have the battery and alternator checked at AAP. The car doesn’t get driven at lot and only about 1 mile daily. Once a month or so, I take it to work 49 miles away to charge up the battery and burn off carbon or crudes. I do try to out about 5-10 miles trip in every other week to top the battery off. Battery is probably 3 years old and it’s a Kirkland battery.

Should I buy a jug of Lucas fuel cleaner to start mixing it with gas (Costco at each fuel up? And take it to work once a week to get thr Lucas do the cleaning?

Lucas is $33 for a gallon jug.

Thanks
The engine gets[loaded] up form driving 1 mile daily as a wild guess.

There is no fuel filter, only the sock in the tank. My guess is igniton. Replace the cap/rotor/wires/plugs.

How many miles are on the spark plugs? If it's over 100,000 it might be time to replace them. Fuel filters it can get clogged anywhere after 100,000 miles depending on the quality of the gas. Just because it's in the tank doesn't mean that it can't get clogged up.

I'd check the Cold IACV if it has one. It will cause something like that if its bad or out of adjustment if its adjustable. If you use an additive, use 2 bottles of Redline SI-1. Stuff works. Brand new muffler turned black with soot on the inside after I used it last summer. Also follow @cptbarkey's advice and change the fuel filter if possible. The 04's filter at 192K @ 14 years had rust coming out of the inlet.
Good advice here. B12 chemtool turned my exhaust tip black and mostly cured a cold start miss so it might work too. It doesn't have PEA though.

Back