Any one have good luck on reman alternator or go with oem

I'd feel more guilty about selling the new owner a 5.4 than a reman alternator.
The late model 5.4's are perfectly fine, as long as sufficient viscosity is used and oil is changed regularly. Ignore the spec and use 5W-40 or 10W-40 and change it regularly. There are now a great many examples of well maintained 5.4 3V engines with North of 300,000 miles. Few to none of them got there on 5W-20 though.

I find nearly new Ford alternators on Ebay from time to time. They are removed for vehicle conversions that need more power, such as ambulance and utility trucks.

The late model 5.4's are perfectly fine, as long as sufficient viscosity is used and oil is changed regularly. Ignore the spec and use 5W-40 or 10W-40 and change it regularly. There are now a great many examples of well maintained 5.4 3V engines with North of 300,000 miles. Few to none of them got there on 5W-20 though.

I find nearly new Ford alternators on Ebay from time to time. They are removed for vehicle conversions that need more power, such as ambulance and utility trucks.
The 09 up 5.4l are so good . No more breaking spark plug issue . I love mine . 5w30 with motorcraft or fram whichever available at that time . Same with oil . My Walmart is weird . Sometime they have oil and some time they empty shelves

I change it out in under 30 minute that with going to bathroom lol

If you can wait for parts (questionable since alternator parts are often mail ordered or drive across town type of thing), repairing alternators is way cheaper then replacing. The only exception being if you have a local U-Pull-it that doesn't gouge.

After watching the Fordtechmakuloco youtube channel, 5.4L engines are all he seems to work on anymore. It makes me not want to own one. He does recommend 5W-30 in those engines over the 5W-20 spec. My fiance's parents have a 2014 Expedition with this engine and it has less than 100,000 miles on it and it's already making a rattling noise on startup.

I put a junkyard alternator on my daughters 2002 Beetle. I figured at 1/3 the price, it was worth a try. They are good about returning parts if they don’t work.

Back