Any Mazda 3 Owners Here?

Girlfriend has had two... A 2005 which she had for about five years until she upgraded to the 2010 (and her mom took over her 2005).

In those five years with the 2005, she had around 100K on the ODO. Body rust in unusual places (rear trunk near badge) and around the wheel wells of course. No real issues aside from any work on the car being a PITA (more than usual) due to rust corrosion. Actually was very reliable the entire time she (and her mom) had it. Just needed routine maintenance stuff.

The 2010 she moved onto had no real issues the first few years, but had a SRS airbag wire harness issue pop up at 46K miles (ground issue for driver curtain airbag), in which Mazda blamed the short on a remote start installed, so they wanted $1,000+ to replace the harness out of warranty.

Had some starting issues, in which the engine flooded (gasoline in the spark plug holes that needed drained and replaced plugs).

Doing rotors/brakes was quite the experience around 50K... Rotors seized to the hubs that even soaking, heating/cooling and a sledgehammer couldn't budge. Had to be cut off with a saw. Then the bleeder screws were seized in, of course. I know rust is just a way of life here, but it is far worse on these two Mazda's than any other car I have worked on for sure. The undercarriage (at 85K now) looks pretty iffy in terms of rust.

The AC compressor failed last year, as well. The car is currently our dog car (and winter beater), so it's hard to put $2000-$2500 in a car worth about double that at best to get the airbag harness and AC compressor replaced.

Materials/corrosion is worse than I am used to, but otherwise they are nice cars. The issue with the 2010 airbag harness would have been non-issue if it wasn't for the suspicion that the remote starter installed caused the issue (years later, mind you... was installed right after the car was purchased). The AC compressor being the only 'real' issue that popped up in those 10 years so far.

They drive nice, though. Not the most exciting power wise of course, but the suspension is decent for the segment. Headlights are atrocious, though. Will keep the 2010 3 around for another two or three years I'm sure, but I can't see it surviving much longer than that due to rust-related issues popping up.

I'd hope a more modern Mazda doesn't have as bad of corrosion issues and they have improved in that regard?

2012 Mazdaspeed 3 here. owned since new, turned 150k last month. can't complain about rust. been a solid car, never left me stranded. stock pads are ferrodo, dust like hell, eat rotors, and are $$$. also harder you drive it the quicker the tires burn up. and for some reason it eats a battery every 3-4 years (thank you costco warranty). other than that it's been solid. plan to keep it to about 200k then move on.

I have a CPO 2014 built in Mexico base model manual hatch. For the love of God don't ever consider a base model. Its my biggest regret.

I have had a corrosion issue on the hatch. Mazda paid to have it repaired July 2019. I have a couple of squeaks and rattles in the interior. No other problems.

I'm on my phone and so don't see your signature, but recall your GLC was an '81, and exceeded 600K miles, correct?
Yes.
GLC Odo 60c.jpg

That speedo brings back good memories - though of course we had the metric version here. I like how Mazda had the confidence to add the 6th digit; many odometers didn't have that. You used it!

I like the double-nickle federal speed limit highlighted in a circle. That was brought in by President Nixon I believe, as a gas-saving response to the OPEC embargo in the wake of the Yom Kippur war in October 1973.

I had a 2008 Mazda3i( base model) bought new for about 3 years till I crashed it. It was very well made(in Japan) and solid. I recall it was very maneuverable and sporty. I think Mazda is an underrated brand.

My daughter had an '06 mazda3i 2.0/4spd auto that she bought in '09 til '18. It was a good car but the rust was its worst problem...which Mazda seems to have fixed. I haven't seen nor had a car that rusted this badly since my dad's '72 LTD.

They made some changes to the 3 Turbo. AWD was reprogrammed as well. (3:30)

Last edited:
I don't have experience with any around the model years you are considering, but the girlfriend had (and I maintained) her 2005 and 2010 Mazda 3's.

The 2005 had no issues aside for horrid corrosion/rust. Body panels, undercarriage, etc... In just a few short years here in Ohio.

The 2010 has had more issues (A/C compressor failure, SRS airbag harness short) but has been better in terms of rust. It's now 10 years old and still looks better than the 2005 did in half the time. Undercarriage is getting pretty bad now though, not sure how many more years we can get out of it honestly. Still never fixed the A/C compressor since it's our beater now. The 2010 has 85K miles on it, the 2005 had just over 100K by the time she traded it in.

Neither use any oil inbetween changes... My biggest gripe just has been materials/rust compared to Toyota's I maintained of the same age/mileage. Everything was just an extra struggle with the Mazda's in terms of brake service, wheels getting stuck to the hubs (even with anti-seize and all that used), fasteners just blowing out due to rust, etc... But otherwise, they have been pretty good aside from the noted issues above on the 2010.

If anything, the engine is just a bit lethargic in the 2010 we still have. It just never seems to have enough power when having to merge quickly on short on-ramps and stuff like that, haha.

I would definitely consider buying one ( if I was looking for a car in that segment ) if I didn’t live in an area where they use so much road salt ( they pre spray roads with very corrosive stuff also ).

I have seen too many with rust that should not have it for the age of car.

Be curious if it's consuming oil and how much.
these engines 2.3l are not known for burning oil issue over the long term; also, once you hit that 400K miles on the engine what else would you ask from the car

these engines 2.3l are not known for burning oil issue over the long term; also, once you hit that 400K miles on the engine what else would you ask from the car

The 400K Mazda is doing well considering going way past the recommended oil drain interval. Honda maintenance minder gives me 12,000 ODI on my Civic but I am sure I could have easily pushed It far more than that safely.

Mazda owner here. If in salt belt (or car originally from there) thoroughly inspect the subframes and rest of the underside for corrosion. Had to replace both front and rear subframes on my Mazda6. Mazda’s corrosion protection is not the best. Otherwise they’re great cars.

Back