Any Mazda 3 Owners Here?

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
The GF is considering a different car, and the Mazda 3 sedan is on the list. Looking at 2015~2017 model years. Clean low mileage (~50K miles) models with leather and middle of the road options are selling at dealerships for ~$14K to $15K.

Doing some quick research, it sounds like it's a pretty decent and reliable car. Wondering if anyone here owns one, and if so any good, bad or ugly with your ownership experience?

This is a 2017 Mazda3 "Touring" model with 52K miles for $14,900. Could probably get some off of that this time of year.

2017 Mazda3-1.JPG

2017 Mazda3-2.JPG

2017 Mazda3-3.JPG

Last edited:
My kid has a 2018, (pretty sure)

It's a great car. I like driving it.

Dealership was a breeze. they wanted like 22.5 for it and I offered them 20 flat to drive away with it in an hour- got the deal and left with it.

Excellent cars - highly recommend. Corrosion protection can be suspect if you are in snow belt.

Had a 2010 Grand Touring that I took to ~80k ish miles over ~4.5 years and it was nearly perfect, 1 warranty repair for a HVAC actuator. 1 set of tires and a number of oil changes and cabin filter changes. That was traded for a 2014 Grand Touring (same generation as your picture) - that car was worlds better for tactile quality than my 2010, did not keep that one long (financial reasons) but seems reading around even that generation held up same reliability standards.

One other note - would definitely see if you could swing a Grand Touring for not much more than the Touring. I know a lot of people crap on Bose sound systems but they were amazing in both my 3's, then there are the adaptive xenon lights as well.

I have a ‘17 CX5 and it has been excellent in every regard.

The 3 either has the 2.0 or 2.5 SkyActiv engine. Both are great. The 2.0 gets great fuel economy. The 2.5 will give it more oomph. Both have the same transmission.

It’s a proven platform and power train. As long as it was maintained properly by the previous owner you cannot go wrong.

We owned three of the 3's predecessors - two Mazda GLCs, and a Mazda Protege.

All three were good mechanically, easy on gas, and fun to drive.

One of our neighbours has a newish one (2016?) and loves it.

The 2.5 is pretty thrifty it will return high 30's or low 40's if driven conservatively on a highway trip...
Its not exactly a rocket ship, but its snappy enough to be fun and it handles well. I would have killed to have something like it when I was young.
Make sure its got the car play / android auto mod, cant recall if the touring has that or not.

Have a 16 with a 2.0 engine. Been through many -40c winter no problem. Heats up very slow(prob due to high compression ratio?) in cold winter compare to other cars. So far no signs of body rust.

One other note - would definitely see if you could swing a Grand Touring for not much more than the Touring. I know a lot of people crap on Bose sound systems but they were amazing in both my 3's, then there are the adaptive xenon lights as well.
Worth it for sure.....

I have a 2017 Grand Touring Hatchback with 94,000 miles on it already. I bought it new. Before covid I was putting 150 miles a day round trip on it back and forth to work. I love the way the car handles with Michelin Pilot Sports AS3 plus tires. I just upgraded to the Michelin Pilot sport AS 4 tires 500 miles ago. I haven't been driving it much since I'm working from home and only put 2000 miles on it since April. The only work to the car has been a recall for the BCM for the automatic wipers that actually did fail. I put brakes on it at 80,000 all the way around ( replaced with original Mazda pads) and new plugs. OCI is 5K with whatever 0w-20 or 5W-20 synthetic that I get at AAP or Autozone that I stocked up on. Valvoline/Shell RGT/QS/Pennzoil and usually a Mazda filter/ sometimes a Fram Ultra and when I use the Fram Ultra I usually suck the oil out of the dipstick and refill to reuse the Ultra for 10,000 miles.

The difference between the 2017 Touring and the Grand Touring is the 2.5 motor, real leather in the GT, Bose, headsup display, radar cruise control, lane assist, blind spot and automatic braking. I'm getting 34.1 to 35 MPG in 60% urban and 40 Turnpike/highway driving at 75/80 MPH. It loves to cruise at 75 MPH at about 2000 rpm. It's a sweet little car and has plenty of power.

My daughter has 2012 2L Skyactiv model. Love the gas mileage, reliable, and nice drive.
Negative? The headlights seems to haze easily and took decent amount of elbow grease to clear. Tried to change out the four rotors this past summer and they were rusted on to the hub like hell. Banged with lot of hammer, but were futile. I bought one of these pullers to try next summer after watching some Youtube episodes who had similar issues with their Mazdas.
1609469203168.jpg

My daughter has 2012 2L Skyactiv model. Love the gas mileage, reliable, and nice drive.
Negative? The headlights seems to haze easily and took decent amount of elbow grease to clear. Tried to change out the four rotors this past summer and they were rusted on to the hub like hell. Banged with lot of hammer, but were futile. I bought one of these pullers to try next summer after watching some Youtube episodes who had similar issues with their Mazdas.
View attachment 38792
I've seen all sorts of issues changing brakes. This is why I let the dealership do it. My 2015 CX5 cost me $600 or so to have all four rotors replaced and the pads replaced with OEM Mazda parts. Worth it, in my book! Got 97K miles out of the first set.

We owned three of the 3's predecessors - two Mazda GLCs, and a Mazda Protege.

All three were good mechanically, easy on gas, and fun to drive. ...
I had a GLC too, and it went far; see my signature. In hindsight, it proved to be a good choice---although not very relevant to recent 3s.

I had a GLC too, and it went far; see my signature. In hindsight, it proved to be a good choice---although not very relevant to recent 3s.
I'm on my phone and so don't see your signature, but recall your GLC was an '81, and exceeded 600K miles, correct? That's awesome!

Our '79 and '82 also lived up to the Great Little Car moniker, though both were written off after being rear-ended by much larger vehicles. It would have been interesting to see how long they would have lasted.

I drove that exact car in that exact color for 80K miles and beat the crap at out it. No issues...it's still going - I sold it to someone I know. Probably around 120K miles on it now and now issues. I changed the oil and oil filter every 7500 miles with any old 0W-20 and did basic maintenance and that's it.

Back