Any issues with changing filter and not the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come to realize that my Purolator Classic filter cant be trusted to last as long as the OCI for my Cobalt. Therefore I would like to replace it with a better filter before I change the oil. The filter is mounted high on the engine and is the cartridge type.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
No problem, but usually it's the other way around.

That's outdated thinking. Leaving dirty oil in as well as any trapped metals is not a good thing.

He's on the right track, minimizing the slug of metal and other stuff that will hit the bearings if the filter tears.

Loosen the oil filter holder by 2-3 turns and leave it there for 2-3 minutes before remove it, the old oil would drip down into the engine so when you remove it very few drops of oil will drop down on the top of the engine.

If it's in the same location as the 2005 Vue I had with the 2.2 Ecotec, you probably will not lose much oil if any.

FYI-Fram makes the Tough Guard (10k) and Ultra Guard (15k) filters for that engine. I'd trust either with a 10k OCI but the Ultra Guard would maximize your filtering and durability.

There's no way that OLM is calling for 10k+ oil changes in your car. I have a Cobalt and do a lot of highway and the longest I have gone on an interval is just short of 6k.

Chances are your system got reset somehow without you noticing.

my dad had a 2010 turbo cobalt and the olm would tell him to do between 15k and 20k kilometers. but unless I had atearolator on id change oil and filter every time.

The later model Cobalts (mines a 2006) I believe may have a TSB for OLM recalibration. I know other GM models with the 2.2 and 2.4 engines have required this recal. Might be something to look into.

I did this a month or two ago, replaced it with a Napa Silver (wix) for the remainder of the OCI.

I cut the Puro Classic open and most of the pleats were very wavy, and the pleats on either side of the stamped seam were very stretched apart. Glad I did it instead of leaving it in another 3,500 miles.

I used to use AC Delco PF456/7G and every time I took one out it was all twisted and mangled. Standard OCI based on OLM, like 6k tops. Switched to NAPA Gold and haven't had the issue in years. The cold start tick also went away when I changed to NAPA Gold.

Maybe try NAPA's Platinum filter for the balt?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what better quality filter are you Looking to use?

Exactly.

After reading puro response in the last thread I'll never buy them again.
I'm using motomaster oil filters which are rebadged tough gaurds for 20000 miles of my known clean engines and when dissected I'd never guess they had that many miles.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
There's no way that OLM is calling for 10k+ oil changes in your car. I have a Cobalt and do a lot of highway and the longest I have gone on an interval is just short of 6k.

Chances are your system got reset somehow without you noticing.

Nope it didn't get reset and lasted for 10K. Averages about 1% every 100 miles. Winter is more, summer with long highway trips is less. I almost never drive a short distance where engine doesn't warm up all the way.

Where are the unofficial spokespersons for Purolator? You'd think they would've chimed in by now
coffee2.gif

Other than its a waste of time and money?

Do you know how many Cobalts are running around on $1 quick lube filters and go to the junk yards with perfect motors.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Other than its a waste of time and money?

Do you know how many Cobalts are running around on $1 quick lube filters and go to the junk yards with perfect motors.

Its not a waste of time and money when the Purolators develop holes in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back