Should you not see any dust at all inside an intake tube?

Strange. I've had black air filters on vehicles that never left pavement. Usually about every 30k I throw a new filter on.
Yes, the dirty part is on the dirty side of the filter.

No dust in the intake past the filter.

Surely something passes, but its so fine to be un-noticeable, or stays in suspension and is ingested.

I change my filters approximately every 10K. Used to be only Wix, but I have switched to Denso.

This is some “observations “ on cold air intakes. On my 2016 F150 2.7 L EcoBoost, the air intake is on the left hand side of the engine bay. The snorkel is mounted to the core supports, not near the radiator. The way it’s designed, it provides some ram air and it can’t get any colder than the front of the core supports. On my ‘92 and ‘94 Dodge diesels, the air filters were just about a foot square and pulled in cold air above the right front wheel well. All of the aftermarket cold air intakes pull air from under the hood. Explain to me how that is colder than stock? Also, the K&N air filters are not that great at filtering. I did put a Screaming Eagle filter on my Harley and that did help horsepower. You can’t have a 44 mm carb pulling air through a 3/4” hole in the filter case and expect decent performance. It is a K&N element, but I oil the heck out of it.

This is some “observations “ on cold air intakes. On my 2016 F150 2.7 L EcoBoost, the air intake is on the left hand side of the engine bay. The snorkel is mounted to the core supports, not near the radiator. The way it’s designed, it provides some ram air and it can’t get any colder than the front of the core supports. On my ‘92 and ‘94 Dodge diesels, the air filters were just about a foot square and pulled in cold air above the right front wheel well. All of the aftermarket cold air intakes pull air from under the hood. Explain to me how that is colder than stock? Also, the K&N air filters are not that great at filtering. I did put a Screaming Eagle filter on my Harley and that did help horsepower. You can’t have a 44 mm carb pulling air through a 3/4” hole in the filter case and expect decent performance. It is a K&N element, but I oil the heck out of it.
You still get cold air once you get moving though.

Most cold air intakes is a marketing term synonymous with open-air element intakes and not actually routed to a source of cold air with unmodified cars. It usually isnt an issue when the car was moving but when stationary the driver could see the intake temps rise in a diagnostic program.

Back