Any HAM radio operators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all,
My friend and I are looking to get into ham radio to use in our Jeeps since CB is basically useless once we become separated by a few exits.

From what I have read, this Icom IC 2200h has great reviews, and a $20 rebate. What do y'all think?
http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/2200h/

And, yes, we will get out licenses (which now do not require morse code).

Thanks,
John

That's one heck of a rig! I was just checking out the feature set. 2 meteres has come a long way. My old W2A sounds like a dinosaur (well I guess it is - it's probably close to 20 years old.)

I own an ICOM '735 HF rig and an AT32 dual-band (2 meter and 70cm) handheld. As Laminar Lou said, they cost a little more but are indeed very durable.

Well worth any additional cost IMO. Solid radios.

73 de N7LTH

I've been licensed 34 years.

I don't care much for the newer Icom radios, which to me means anything they have made in the last twenty years or so. I have an IC-2800H in my Xj12, which was their top of the line dual bander, and it is prone to intermodulation, but does have a rich feature set.

For amateur grade radios, I think Yaesu is a lot better. Many Motorola commercial radios will also get into the amateur bands. I use a Motorola HT in my GTO.

Quote:

I've owned Icoms and they all have been very good. They tend to be pricey, but they are very durable.

73s,
LL

I always thought they were REALLY expensive, but the one I posted above is $160 before $20 rebate.

that ic2200h is a good rig from reports i get around here.
and i have yet to see one hit my bench for repair.
i tend to judge a rigs reliabilty by how many sick ones come my way for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back