Any body runs GC 0W-30 in 08 Tacoma 4cyl truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After hearing all the good things about GC 0W-30, I bought couple stashes of them from AZ at their current special and going to try it in my 2008 Tacoma 4cyl 4x4 which calls out 0W-20 or 5W-20. has anybody tried it in similar trucks? Do you think it would perform well in my truck?

"Yes, this oil will work well in your truck."

Now, class, no more hand-holding, you're going to have to learn to think for yourselves...
thumbsup2.gif

I tried it in my 2006 4x4 Tacoma 4 cyl it was fine I really did not notice any big whoop as compared to other oils I have used .

I ran it in my Nissan truck, and it turned it into a time machine, so I went back 50 years and made billions in the stock market. Now I'm retired and post on internet message boards all day long.

One can only assume the same thing would happen if you used it in your truck.

I just drank the purple cool-aid! Stopped by Autozone and picked up 6 qts. with the K&N filter. After this run of MC 5w20, I fill with GC for the Summer months.

I think that oil is a little on the "thick" side of 30wt and probably wouldn't be my first choice for a engine under warranty that calls for a 20wt oil. Just my .02

Originally Posted By: stumpypete
I think that oil is a little on the "thick" side of 30wt and probably wouldn't be my first choice for a engine under warranty that calls for a 20wt oil. Just my .02

My 2007 V6 is back spec'd from 5w30 to 5w20. My oil cap and manual says 5w30 so I'm going back. I have to admit that the truck runs great on 5w20 but with Summer on it's way and towing a boat, I'm going to use GC. Besides, I have 62K on my truck and it's not under warranty.

Last edited:
Just dropped the 20w in the Tacoma and replaced it with the GC gold (Germany). Very smooth. Time to tow the boat!

Originally Posted By: Badlees
Just dropped the 20w in the Tacoma and replaced it with the GC gold (Germany). Very smooth. Time to tow the boat!

Badlees, Is your Tacoma recent model (2nd generation) 4 cylinder? Also how does the engine sound at start up when this oil is real thin until it heats up?

It's the 1GR-FE V6 4.0 L. The engine has no start up noises and the 50 mile trip in to work was smooth. I use an oversized Hastings/Baldwin filter. I'm actually not a big fan of the K&N filter.

It's the 1GR-FE V6 4.0 L. The engine has no start up noises and the 50 mile trip in to work was smooth. I use an oversized Hastings/Baldwin filter. I'm actually not a big fan of the K&N filter.

" I'm actually not a big fan of the K&N filter. " the last time I used a K&N oil filter,I had the cold start up bearing rattle.I switched it with a Puralator filter,and it was gone.May have had a bad anti-drain back valve.But it didnt leave me with a good impression of them.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

" I'm actually not a big fan of the K&N filter. " the last time I used a K&N oil filter,I had the cold start up bearing rattle.I switched it with a Puralator filter,and it was gone.May have had a bad anti-drain back valve.But it didnt leave me with a good impression of them.

Same reason that I don't use them. I'm a fan of Motorcraft/Purolator and Hastings for that very reason.

Originally Posted By: stumpypete

You were right about it being too thick. The 1GRFE V6 liked thinner oil for sure. I couldn't stand the noise and drag the GC put on that motor on the ride home today. Live and learn, I dumped it for some Havoline DS 5W30 and the motor is much more responsive. Great oil, wrong application.

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer

Badlees, Is your Tacoma recent model (2nd generation) 4 cylinder? Also how does the engine sound at start up when this oil is real thin until it heats up?

He has a 2007 V6. This oil will be great on start ups, it will work well in your 4 cyl.

Live and learn guys. It's 5w30 in the Summer and 5w20 for the Winter months. I need to start using the same oil so I can start a trend and make my UOA's count.

You were right about it being too thick. The 1GRFE V6 liked thinner oil for sure. I couldn't stand the noise and drag the GC put on that motor on the ride home today. Live and learn, I dumped it for some Havoline DS 5W30 and the motor is much more responsive. Great oil, wrong application.

If your engine likes 5W30, it likes xW20 even more.

Quote:

If your engine likes 5W30, it likes xW20 even more.

I stopped on the way home and picked up some Havoline 5w20 to try for then next run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back